What's new

Newest Gillette, rotates!

Ah, so this is what a PH.D will do. I see. Only if they had put a cyclone vacuum in the handle. Coolness would have been off the charts! Also another three heads on that would be sweet. They then could call it the Hydra. The mythical three headed beast.

Wow. Looks to me like a solution in search of a problem. They must be kidding themselves with the stats about cutting hairs 23 microns shorter and 20% more efficient. What a joke.

I'll probably end up trying it since it is virtually guaranteed to end up under the tree with my name on it at Christmas.

Hell I'll probably buy it anyway out of curiosity and then end up passing it on to my father.

Haha this made me think about that article on the onion talking about the hype about multiple blade razors...hilarious. Soon we will have tech that straps on to our face and shaves for us. Well, "them" I am perfectly content with my DE and frothy lather.

A pointless diatribe - Dollar Shave Club is an irrelevance. He has no market knowledge what so ever. His alternatives are cheap disposables, or a beard...

Actually, I'm reasonably certain that guys like Dollar Shave Club and Harry's are somewhat responsible for the current resurgence in DE shaving. I know for certain that's why I started.

Like many people, I started with cartridge blades when I was a teenager. As I got older, though, my beard was way too tough. I was chewing through 3-4 cartridges a week. As the price went up, I could no longer afford them, so I switched to an electric face-mower. I hated everything about shaving. It was painful, tedious, unpleasant, and I often went days without shaving.

Then I saw the (pretty hilarious) ad for Dollar Shave Club. It shook up my thinking about what I was doing. Researching DSC let to other inexpensive shaving alternatives, which led me to B&B. I was hooked instantly. Now, I look forward to waking up a little early every morning so I can shave. I usually don't stick with new things for long, but I've been wet shaving for over a year, and I still get excited every morning. Also, I'm pretty sure that someday, I'm eventually going to save money over those expensive cartridges. :lol:

Without a doubt, if it weren't for that DSC ad, I would still be using an electric and hating every second of it.

current resurgence in DE shaving.
What resurgence? You mean a few thousand guys popping into AOS, C&E et al or ordering online from WCS and many other fine online retailers to the hundreds of millions who over just the last few years have switched from a DE to a Gillette Guard, a PII/FII, Vector/Slalom, Blue3/Vector3 or Personna product, and cheap disposables from Bic and China?
That resurgence?

Actually, I'm reasonably certain that guys like Dollar Shave Club and Harry's are somewhat responsible for the current resurgence in DE shaving. I know for certain that's why I started.

Like many people, I started with cartridge blades when I was a teenager. As I got older, though, my beard was way too tough. I was chewing through 3-4 cartridges a week. As the price went up, I could no longer afford them, so I switched to an electric face-mower. I hated everything about shaving. It was painful, tedious, unpleasant, and I often went days without shaving.

Then I saw the (pretty hilarious) ad for Dollar Shave Club. It shook up my thinking about what I was doing. Researching DSC let to other inexpensive shaving alternatives, which led me to B&B. I was hooked instantly. Now, I look forward to waking up a little early every morning so I can shave. I usually don't stick with new things for long, but I've been wet shaving for over a year, and I still get excited every morning. Also, I'm pretty sure that someday, I'm eventually going to save money over those expensive cartridges. :lol:

Without a doubt, if it weren't for that DSC ad, I would still be using an electric and hating every second of it.

+1
Same thing with me. Saw the dollar shave club ad and while researching them I stumbled across Harry's. While reading a review of Harry's the reviewer mentioned B&B and the benefits of a safety razor. It was all down hill from there.

What resurgence? You mean a few thousand guys popping into AOS, C&E et al or ordering online from WCS and many other fine online retailers to the hundreds of millions who over just the last few years have switched from a DE to a Gillette Guard, a PII/FII, Vector/Slalom, Blue3/Vector3 or Personna product, and cheap disposables from Bic and China?
That resurgence?

Hundreds of millions who have switched from DE shaving back to cartridges? By "last few years" I'm speaking of the last 5 years, not the last 50. Over the last 5 years, interest in DE shaving has been undergoing a resurgence.

Hundreds of millions who have switched from DE shaving back to cartridges? By "last few years" I'm speaking of the last 5 years, not the last 50. Over the last 5 years, interest in DE shaving has been undergoing a resurgence.

How did you twist last few years i.e meaning from October 2010 to the last fifty? You obviously have no idea of the wet shaving market. I think you will find the figure in developed world switching from cartridges to DE blades to be very small, analysis of razor blade manufacturers, traditional shaving soaps and creams, brush manufacturers would highlight this if you cared to research. I work for P&G's major competitor so this data is readily available, but you could just google it...

I have a confession to make:
I troll dollar shave club or gillette when one of their ads comes across my Facebook feed by posting a really nice picture of my SOTD in the comments. And I always add a snarky comment like "You're doing it wrong" or something like that. Forgive me Father, for I have sinned....

Over the last 5 years, interest in DE shaving has been undergoing a resurgence.
Sales of shaving soaps from T&H, C&E, GFT, Bathhouse and Penhaligon's were so great the manufacturer folded, the new manufacturer is in financial trouble. Product lines are getting smaller M+W no longer producing Irish Moos. PPI not ceasing production of razor blades. C&E going into administration, AOS having to be sold....

Is this the resurgence you believe exists?

No need for condescension, brother. I think you and I just have different understandings of the word "resurgence." I never meant to imply that DE shaving was going to overtake cartridges. Only that there is more interest in wet shaving now than there was five years ago. A market jump from 0.05% to 2%, for example, is still a resurgence. (Those aren't real DE numbers, just an illustration of my thinking.) If you have some data to show that "hundreds of millions" of people have switched from wet shaving to cartridges, I would love to take a look at them. If you're referring to emerging markets, where people are just reaching a level of economic prosperity to afford cartridge systems, well that's a different conversation entirely.

Sales of shaving soaps from T&H, C&E, GFT, Bathhouse and Penhaligon's were so great the manufacturer folded, the new manufacturer is in financial trouble. Product lines are getting smaller M+W no longer producing Irish Moos. PPI not ceasing production of razor blades. C&E going into administration, AOS having to be sold....

Is this the resurgence you believe exists?

Actually, yes. Increased demand for a product often increases competition, leading to lower margins. New players enter the marketplace, while older companies may have difficulty pacing growth.

No need for condescension, brother. I think you and I just have different understandings of the word "resurgence." I never meant to imply that DE shaving was going to overtake cartridges. Only that there is more interest in wet shaving now than there was five years ago. A market jump from 0.05% to 2%, for example, is still a resurgence. (Those aren't real DE numbers, just an illustration of my thinking.) If you have some data to show that "hundreds of millions" of people have switched from wet shaving to cartridges, I would love to take a look at them. If you're referring to emerging markets, where people are just reaching a level of economic prosperity to afford cartridge systems, well that's a different conversation entirely.

I am not trying to being condescending. Maybe you are being too American centric - there is a world out there... And if there was a swing it would be something like 0.02 to 0.04

Actually, yes. Increased demand for a product often increases competition, leading to lower margins. New players enter the marketplace, while older companies may have difficulty pacing growth.

Again what competition? Mystic, Sterling, Mike, ATT, Ikon.....
Even from a Europe stand point - Bathhouse, Scottish Fine Soaps - all the competition is minute/small...

Gillette is "Targeting the High End Market"... at $12.59...This made me laugh.
They are still doing everything they can to ignore the traditional wet shaving renaissance that happened in the last few years.
I wish they would just come out with some new updated and innovative classic style DE razors and if they cant do that…then just make some copies of their old designs and call it a day.

They are still doing everything they can to ignore the traditional wet shaving renaissance that happened in the last few years.
I wish they would just come out with some new updated and innovative classic style DE razors and if they cant do that…then just make some copies of their old designs and call it a day.

Let's face it, if Gillette was to put out a DE razor in 2014, it would be over-priced and crappier than the worst Chinese knock-off. I'm fine with them staying out of the game, and leaving the business to the quality manufacturers.

It seems that Gillette at least allows their name to be attached to DE razors in other countries. Hardly the stuff of the olden days.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/205844-Gillette-making-double-edge-razors-again
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/126025-Plastic-Gillette-Safety-Razors-from-India

Top Bottom