What's new

The lkon thread

And I have some myth-busting to do. I've been talking to the folks at iKon recently. I don't know why I can't find them on Google maps, I suppose because they haven't listed their business, but they take about 4-6 days for standard post to California. I was curious how that is when they're located in Thailand or Malaysia as is supposed to be the case. Come to find out, they're located in NYC.

So if anyone has avoided them because of their reported location outside of the US, that's just not the case. And I've asked a few questions now, we've had a bit of back and forth. I have to say, I'm not sure if it's Greg or someone else, as they don't put a name on their emails (a bit odd, that) but they're very responsive. I sent an email yesterday and received an almost immediate reply. I set the tablet down after hitting send and it almost immediately beeped to let me know I had a new message.

They don't always answer questions directly, but that's not that uncommon. All in all, after hearing the warnings here and talking to the vendor, I can say I'll purchase with confidence. As I've read in some posts about trying to return damaged goods and being denied (a bent OSS base plate for one that comes to mind) it appears they can be less than accommodating. But most of us have the benefit of consumer protections in online purchases from our credit card companies. Visa and Discover both handle these issues very expertly in my experience.

Off topic a bit, but Discover Card plug here, I got ripped off on some car parts from Parts Geek (don't use them) and the vendor had me dead to rights based on their predatory return policy. However, nearly 3 months after the fact (it took a few phone calls), Discover politely and graciously handled it for me, getting my money back for the full purchase of over $300.

So iKon it is. I appreciate the warnings, and I'm sorry I can't maintain solidarity on the iKon ban. If ATT made a truly mild razor, it would be no competition in my mind, but for what I want combined with what I need, I don't see any better options out there for me. In time, probably by this time next year, I imagine I'll have the Atlas set, especially if dweebs0r's goes up on the BST in enough time for me to recoup my budget a bit. And hopefully that's an equally suitable set to my liking, but I don't see myself ever downsizing on the stainless purchases. Part of the reason for buying is so I can have some cool old razors to give to my kids or grandkids, or ggkids, whatever the case may be.

In the meantime, I'll definitely keep you all in loop on how everything works out with the 5 set.

Put me down as one of the guys for whom the Tradere just intuitively worked and worked beautifully. If they were readily available, that would be my recommendation.

I also have a Shavecraft 101, though, and I love it, too. In fact, the Tradere and the Shavecraft are my two favorite razors.

Do you tighten the Tradere razor all the way down when shaving with it? I can't figure how tightly it is supposed to be threaded.

That was not my point! haha I have nothing against Thailand, or any other country. I was just sayin' ... :wink2:

:lol: I couldn't resist... I hear ya, I just gotta go pragmatically forward with what I think is going to fit me best. If I have any issues I'll just have to deal with it the best I can...

I'll definitely record the experience in detail here, FWIW.

Do you tighten the Tradere razor all the way down when shaving with it? I can't figure how tightly it is supposed to be threaded.

I tighten the handle all the way down until it is snug. You don't want it loose and you don't want to tighten it down with all your strength either. Hope that helps.

Rob

Congrtats! Took a little research but you made your decision. I love my iKon stuff. And now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I knew they were in New York. Is there any confirmation that their products are made elsewhere? I mean, does someone have some verification they could provide as to where iKon products are actually made? I don't really care, I like mine either way, but I am curious.

Congrtats! Took a little research but you made your decision. I love my iKon stuff. And now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I knew they were in New York. Is there any confirmation that their products are made elsewhere? I mean, does someone have some verification they could provide as to where iKon products are actually made? I don't really care, I like mine either way, but I am curious.

Thanks Chris! Yeah, I'm looking into it. I'll let you know what I come up with.

I recently received an IKon Deluxe OC from Greg and had absolutely no issues at all in my dealings with him, all emails were answered directly by him and all transactions went smoothly. I fail to see where there are any issues with IKon for those of you who have had a sour taste I hate that it happened The razor is outstanding regardless of place of make. I would rather have found out it was made here in the good ol USofA but MEH! not a problem I like it!

I would rather have found out it was made here in the good ol USofA but MEH! not a problem I like it!

Well at this point they might be. We know that iKon is based in New York, and we know that someone had a Thailand mailing address for Greg. However, I don't know what that means. I've seen no documentation that say where iKon products are produced. I haven't found a definitive answer yet, but I'm looking.

I recently received an IKon Deluxe OC from Greg and had absolutely no issues at all in my dealings with him, all emails were answered directly by him and all transactions went smoothly. I fail to see where there are any issues with IKon for those of you who have had a sour taste I hate that it happened

The problems seem to come after the purchase: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...t-DE-I-can-t-figure-out?p=5930178#post5930178 .

Greg Kahn is banned here for good reasons. His activities are no good for the members of B&B.

I also used to enjoy his work.

The problems seem to come after the purchase: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...t-DE-I-can-t-figure-out?p=5930178#post5930178 .

Greg Kahn is banned here for good reasons. His activities are no good for the members of B&B.

I'm sure the mods had their reasons for banning him; I wasn't a member at that time so I can't comment on that. But, as much as I love this forum, B&B is not the international governing body of wet shaving. Even if a person or vendor is banned on this forum, folks are still free to use (and dare I say enjoy) said person/vendor's wares. It is very unfortunate that some members here have had bad experiences with this vendor, and if we chose to try his products I think we all know there is inherent risk for disappointing customer service. Each person has to make those choices and account for those risks. Personally, and I speak for myself only, I'm more focused on performance over customer service. I absolutely believe there are legitimate reasons to make choices based on principle alone, and I have made those choices several times, but at this level I (again, this is personally) would rather just enjoy my shave. I don't know if Greg Kahn was banned over disparaging comments, or shilling, or what, but as I'm pretty sure it wasn't genocide I'll continue to use my iKon razors.

With regard to where iKon razors are made: I've placed two orders with iKon directly. The first was back in 2011 (I believe) when I purchased one of the famed 2nd generation bulldog open comb razors. It was a "blemished" razor that Greg sold me directly, and it arrived from Thailand. The second was the release of the Shavecraft 101 head sometime last year and that arrived from New York.

My personal opinion, backed by nothing but conjecture, is that iKon razors are actually made in Thailand but that a supply is kept in New York through a liaison to save on shipping expenses.

I'm sure the mods had their reasons for banning him; I wasn't a member at that time so I can't comment on that. But, as much as I love this forum, B&B is not the international governing body of wet shaving. Even if a person or vendor is banned on this forum, folks are still free to use (and dare I say enjoy) said person/vendor's wares. It is very unfortunate that some members here have had bad experiences with this vendor, and if we chose to try his products I think we all know there is inherent risk for disappointing customer service. Each person has to make those choices and account for those risks. Personally, and I speak for myself only, I'm more focused on performance over customer service. I absolutely believe there are legitimate reasons to make choices based on principle alone, and I have made those choices several times, but at this level I (again, this is personally) would rather just enjoy my shave. I don't know if Greg Kahn was banned over disparaging comments, or shilling, or what, but as I'm pretty sure it wasn't genocide I'll continue to use my iKon razors.

I am not referring to the banning here - I also made a decision to buy after the banning by the mods of B&B. I am certainly not accusing Greg Kahn of genocide either :lol:

What I'm referring to is the personal insult by Greg Kahn towards me and the razor system I had built from among other Ikon parts.

This insult was directed at me and made on Ikons Facebook page after I had discussed his lack of communication when other customers had issues with what they had bought. Some members here were wondering why he did not respond to their mails after they had bought razors and had questions and I responded that they might not get any answer from him. I had been in the same situation and had experience of the non-communication.

Everyone is free to buy and enjoy Ikon products. I will not.

+1....i tried many blades....did not succeed ...maybe the black Gillette was the "best" but nothing stellar in the Ikon Slant.....
I m wet shaving for 50 years ,,,, :-(

tam

Seems that there are so many differences between the shaves of this razor among the enthusiasts, for what I can see my slant, got the right alignment of the blade, it's an excellent razor.

Personal choices are that personal. I had absolutely no idea Greg was banned and for my part it's none of my business. Any issues had between him and anyone else are their issues not my own now my experience was better and I love the razors I own both the SC101 & the Deluxe Open Comb

I appreciate you looking out for fellow members Bosse. I don't think anyone here could argue you're a top notch member, one that we should all appreciate.

But I'm with Chris, I've read the posts, the one you referenced as well as others. After my discussions with iKon, I have to resign my opinion to that of: There are two sides to every story, and I just don't know enough about it to make a firm stand either way. It's very easy for people to get hyped on the opinion and experience of a few, and without having gotten the full story, my management background kicks in and tells me to reserve judgment.

From where I'm standing, it is certainly unfortunate that people have had issues with Greg in the past. It's even more unfortunate that he's not more proactive in answering customer concerns (as far as we know). But, speaking strictly about CS issues regarding product defects, disregarding FB comments etc, I don't think that his position is unreasonable in most of the cases I've read. And from my discussions with him thus far, I don't feel that he would deal with me unjustly. And even if he did, my credit card has my back, as long as I'm in the right, I have nothing to worry about.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your proactive nature. I do consider myself fairly warned. I did consider myself as such after reading your previous post and posts left by others, and threads started by others. There's actually quite a bit available to read about iKon for anyone who wants to search it out.

Just at the end of the day, I don't feel as attracted to any other make. I do want to purchase other SS razors, and I'm sure I will in the future, but today I'm locked on iKon. Giving it a shot... :a41:

You see, I am a punk, and yes, I do feel lucky! :lol:

To this end, given our position in the community as a source of authority in all things wet shaving, I also feel it's only appropriate that a dedicated investigation take place when something goes awry between a member and a vendor. Most of what I've seen take place is a couple of pictures followed by accusations, grumblings, and un-solidified assumptions and assertions. That followed by bouts of chest-puffing and swearing off of the vendor. Investigations are part of my job in resolving conflicts between coworkers, and between business entities. It's easy to get swept up in a compelling complaint, but it behooves the authority in the matter to maintain impartiality and search out the facts before making an assessment. This is the only way to maintain integrity, honesty, and justice.

In this case, every thread I've read on the iniquity of iKon leaves me with more questions than answers. I'm not saying Greg is a saint, by any means, I'm compelled by what I've read to think otherwise. But to be objective and honest, I still have a lot of questions I'd have to see answered before I'd commit to that statement.

With regard to where iKon razors are made: I've placed two orders with iKon directly. The first was back in 2011 (I believe) when I purchased one of the famed 2nd generation bulldog open comb razors. It was a "blemished" razor that Greg sold me directly, and it arrived from Thailand. The second was the release of the Shavecraft 101 head sometime last year and that arrived from New York.

My personal opinion, backed by nothing but conjecture, is that iKon razors are actually made in Thailand but that a supply is kept in New York through a liaison to save on shipping expenses.

I would only answer that there are much cheaper locales in the nation to maintain a warehouse. That doesn't speak one way or the other to the truth of what you're saying. Just noting a not-so-wise business decision. If indeed that's the case, Greg is paying a blooming premium to keep stock in the US, when Oklahoma or Kansas would be centrally located to all of the US and provide 1/10th, if not less, the overhead... Just saying...

Also, postage rates from southeast Asia are comparable to US rates, if not less. It just takes time to clear customs. That would be the advantage of keeping stock on US soil.

I asked the question, where the razors are made. I'll let you know when I hear his response.

Top Bottom