What's new

Top 5 DE Confessions

1-I cannot stand Old Spice. I know it's sacrosanct around here, but it makes me feel ill.
2-I don't care for DE razors. I've tried several, with myriad permutations of blades. They work fine, but I prefer using a straight blade. I only use my use my DE for shaving my torso. Yes, I admitted I shave my torso.
3-I actually love my shavette. I started with it to work up to a straight, but after using a halved Feather in my MD Dragon, even a full-hollow Wacker is too mild for me.
4- I'm cheap beyond belief (I'm Greek; what did you expect?) I just cannot justify paying any more than $30 for a razor, soap, cream, blades, brush, AS, cologne... Anything. I make up for it by pillaging antique malls and sales.
5-I'll probably never achieve a BBS shave, and I'm ok with that. I'm damn well going to try, but comfort comes before perfection.
6- This one is so shameful that it merits a 6th entry. I use Axe post-shave gel... And I love it.

Last edited:
Confession time, oh boy!
  1. I have five (too many) brushes, all of which work quite well. Yet two more are in the mail (Muhle STF V2 and Vintage Blades 2-band) and I am eyeing a third. Is it a disciplined search for perfection or simple OCD? Oh wait, there is no difference you say.
  2. When a boar brush comes up in my rotation I'm always tempted to use an Italian soap, and I feel guilty unless I load using Marco's method (luckily several of my favorite soaps are Italian).
  3. I've become fond of the alum block that I once detested.
  4. I cheat on Kyle. I'm not proud of it, but there it is. I've given up on the hot towels prep and just do a hot pre-wash with KMF unscented and massage it in well. That along with face lathering seems to do the trick.
  5. Rationally, I know a great shave is 99% technique, yet I spend endless time and a more than a few coins in the search for optimal razor, blade, soap, brush, AS.
Alan

P.S. Love this thread and glad it was bumped so I found it.

:lol: Actually, due to #2, I lost. I still cannot get over the fact that I have experienced that skin reaction to MWF. I swear that I am on the verge of buying a puck again just to have it around to sniff once and awhile. Man, that really bums me out!

Frank

I feel the same about Tabac. I just never adjusted to the fragrance. I wanted to love it but could not.

1) I wonder what it would be like to shave my wife with my aristocrat and body shop cream :001_tt1:
6) want to teach my wife to shave my face with a strait.

Number one raises a few questions ... WHERE do you want to shave your wife? :)

Congratulations on your general obsession with your wife. You are a lucky man.

1. I'll take a boar over a badger any day and have considered selling my small collection of badgers.
2. I have not found any vintage razors that shave better than my Merkur HD or Slant.
3. I can waste hours watching shave videos on YouTube.
4. I use a dorco 4 blade cart razor to go ATG and for touch ups.
5. I like Cremo a lot and if I'm in a rush its my go to cream.

One more.
I tried shaving with a straight and I can not get the hang of it. I gave up on it but I like how the strop looks hanging in my bathroom.

1) I like shaving with straights, but kind of stopped due to it taking too much time. But DE shaving takes about the same amount of time as a striaght, too.
2) I keep a Weck Sextoblade (metal handle) with Personna blades in my travel kit.
3) I get a better shave from my old Tech than from a Fat Boy or Slim.
4) I started shaving with straights because I thought (and still do) it was cool. Started with DE because I was totally disgusted with the costs of cartridges. But so far, I have spent way more on DE stuff than I would have in Mach 3 cartridges in a year! Go figure!
5) My wife thinks I'm crazy, too. But I am looking to buy her a birthday Y/Q lady Gillette for her birthday. Now she will KNOW I am crazy.

1-I cannot stand Old Spice. I know it's sacrosanct around here, but it makes me feel ill.
2-I don't care for DE razors. I've tried several, with myriad permutations of blades. They work fine, but I prefer using a straight blade. I only use my use my DE for shaving my torso. Yes, I admitted I shave my torso.
3-I actually love my shavette. I started with it to work up to a straight, but after using a halved Feather in my MD Dragon, even a full-hollow Wacker is too mild for me.
4- I'm cheap beyond belief (I'm Greek; what did you expect?) I just cannot justify paying any more than $30 for a razor, soap, cream, blades, brush, AS, cologne... Anything. I make up for it by pillaging antique malls and sales.
5-I'll probably never achieve a BBS shave, and I'm ok with that. I'm damn well going to try, but comfort comes before perfection.
6- This one is so shameful that it merits a 6th entry. I use Axe post-shave gel... And I love it.

Of course you do---you shave your torso after all.

Hey, whatever works for you is fine.

1. I have more DE razors than I probably will ever use. Weber, Merkur OC, Merkur SB, Mergress, Ikon, Maggard, SABI, Razorock, Gillette, Lord, Weishi, Mehaz, etc.
2. I used creams exclusively from 1977 to 2012. Mostly Lea, Gillette, Palmolive, Trumper, and CE Sweet Almond.
3. I was concerned that hard soaps would grind up my EJ Best badger brush. I stopped using it and turned to the boar side.
4. My first foray into soaps was a twelve pack of VDH Deluxe. It set a rather high bar for the soaps that followed.
5. It took me some time to warm up to Cella. It's my current favorite. I can't say I've had the same luck with some of the others people go on about. Different soaps for different mopes.

1. I tried using a straight razor in 1998 but quit because my hand shakes too much and I'm not ambidextrous.
2. I still have the SR and brush from then but not strop. The brush still works fine though.
3. I'm trying to get to 50 posts so I can trade my SR for something else, (not interested in selling it)
4. Don't talk to other people about my shaving obsession.
5. Actually read every post in this thread.

Whew! That felt good.

1. I thought I started DE shaving to save money.

2. I constantly tell myself that I'm not addicted to buying shaving products.

3. Now that I've gotten a BBS shave. I except nothing less.

4. My GF doesn't understand how I can read so much about shaving.

5. I didn't believe I could get a better shave with less irritation than I got with my fusion. I was blown away after my first shave.

1. I love Cats
2. Last week I used a Wilkinson Sword Classic for seven days in a row and loved it
3. Don't tell the wife
4. I got PayPal specifically to buy shaving gear
5. I bought an Omega brush in Egypt for 50p

I've been here on B&B for less than a month and already have 5 :blush:

#1. Making lather and super lather just for the heck of it now that I have "making a good lather down." Sometimes I end up shaving with it when not even intending to shave at all. I later have found out that I need a shower before shaves and my face really doesn't like "shave at the spur of the moment.

#2. Always acquiring different types of blades now that I have the technique down. I started with feather blades before coming to B&B. That "smarted"

#3. Already planning future purchases / trips to WCS, NYC, and the like to get stuff. Freekin MAD.

#4. Spending a lot of time on B&B and on threads like this one. Yes, I actually did read all 579 posts and some actually made me giggle. Others made me go, "now I feel better about that"

#5. Seeing what sampler packs I can get from where as I want to try it all. I know I can only shave once a day w/o irritation so I just want to see what I can try since DE shaving from day one [for me] has left my neck happy (read: no razor burn / ingrown hairs). If only I had found out about DE shaving 15 years earlier, I could have shaved myself all the irritation from electrics, cartridges, and disposables.

I'm sure I'll be adding to this list soon. :w00t:

#6. Trying Musgo Real for the first time today and the smell almost made me gag.

#7. Setting a timer for how long to leave alum on (30 seconds) so that my cheeks don't look like I just oiled them after putting on the moisturizer. Apparently alum really stops my skin from absorbing ASB / SPF.

#8. Waking up early before the alarm goes off and going to do the shave and shower. We're talking half an hour here.

#9. Going into stores that I normally wouldn't (TJ Maxx, Marshall's, antique stores and the like) just to see if I can find "shave gear.

#10. Having more sampler packs (see #5) than most people.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 174
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 172
1. I never bowl lather, it's an unnecessary step.
2. I used TOBS Mr. Taylor 2 times then threw the entire tub in the trash, it left my skin dry. I was new and didn't know about BST or PIF.
3. I'm cool with DFS, I don't need BBS.
4. Pre-shave oil is stupid. All you need is a hot water prep.
5. I like my AoS pure badger brush.

1.) I still clean up the rough patches with an electric razor
2.) I shave now over the sink instead of the shower, but I miss the shower shaves....Less mess and clean up
3.) I think I know what the hell I am doing with DE shaving now but I have no friggin idea what I am doing
4.) I think I enjoy buying all the goops, conditioners, balms, oils and razors more than actually shaving with them
5.) Proarso Sandalwood (red) smells like crap to me

1) When I was young I cut myself shaving with a SE razor, leaving me with a scar on my neck (near my jugular vein) to this day, 25+ years later.
2) Due to what happened in confession number 1, I now shave exclusively with a Mach 3.
3) I have a ridiculous amount of aftershaves, to the point where some days I can't decide which one I want to use.
4) I have several cans of shave cream, to match with my favorite aftershaves.
5) My wife complains about all the space said aftershaves and shave creams take up in the bathroom closet, and I DON'T CARE!!!

1. I spend time reading this forum when I should be doing something else (e.g. sleeping right now)
2. Every time I start shaving I swear I will try it without ATG due to irritation and bleeding but I end up doing it anyway.
3. I'm currently too cheap to buy a sampler pack of blades when I can just buy a pack of 100 for the same price.
4. Even though I am too cheap to buy a sampler pack of blades I am constantly looking for deals on razors.
5. Unlike many others, every time I go into an antique store they never have DE razors.

Top Bottom