What's new

Top 5 DE Confessions

yep, my plans exactly. Either the nib or whipped dog.

Funny... Whipped Dog is where I thought I'd seen knots, and went directly there first, and couldn't initially find the knots, so googled and found the Nib.
(Found them on Whipped Dog later, under "Face Prep Gear")

1. I use my EJ Barley DE Razor exclusively. I keep a tech, superspeed and lady gillette mostly for street cred.
2. Same with my Simpson Colonel. It's a very nice brush but I use Semogue boars 95% of the time.
3. I have no problem buying soaps on BST but can't imagine keeping a used cream.
4. I tried the pen thing and gave up pretty quickly.
5. As a noob I bought a full case of Van Der Hagen shave soap from Amazon (the B&B advice against this was very kind and gentle). As I moved on to better software, 10 of the 12 pucks got PIF'd

1. I bought an Ahab. Not for shaving!
2. I bought a Slim to go with my Fatboy. Now I want a minty Super Adjustable. RAD is endless . . .
3. I have now completely switched to face lathering. This despite the fact that I like having cool bowls . . .

Just 2 off the top of my head,
1) Everyone talks about their past shaving life of cartridges, goo, etc. Well for me, pretty often when rushed I would shave without anything. Water, maybe, at the sink with my disposable. OR, worse... much worse... dry shave, real quick small strokes to get a shave in 30s before running out the door. Needless to say, my face has been loving the switch these first 2 months.

2) When waiting for witch hazel to dry, I reach into the bathroom hamper, take out a towel or shirt, and wipe down the sink, then return it. Thus far SWMBO hasn't noticed.

5. I just ordered a Feather AS-D2S combo (with the matching stand). It will be here tomorrow!

BONUS:
6) I have spent way too much money on this DE endeavour so far, but I suspect the savings will kick in eventually. :001_smile

My savings kicked in fairly soon. The DE competition was an expensive electric shaver to replace my worn out electric shaver. That took the bite out of the startup cost. I really like my AS-D2. It cured my RAD big time.

Great thread gentleman, here it goes.

1. I spend 2X more money since the DE switch then I did on carts.
2. I also spend 10X more time on shaving related activities since the switch i.e forums & shaving in general.
3. I still buy Gillette carts to use at work or when I'm feeling lazy (I Work in a hospital).
4. AOS still owns my favorite shave cream.
5. I had a nightmare that the Gillette staff formed a mob, kidnapping my family, while forcing me to pay the ransom with items from my shaving stash.

.....I may have to talk to one of my colleagues at work, I have a problem.

great thread gentleman, here it goes.

1. I spend 2x more money since the de switch then i did on carts.
2. I also spend 10x more time on shaving related activities since the switch i.e forums & shaving in general.
3. I still buy gillette carts to use at work or when i'm feeling lazy (i work in a hospital).
4. Aos still owns my favorite shave cream.
5. I had a nightmare that the gillette staff formed a mob, kidnapping my family, while forcing me to pay the ransom with items from my shaving stash.

.....i may have to talk to one of my colleagues at work, i have a problem.

5! Lol

Great thread gentleman, here it goes.

1. I spend 2X more money since the DE switch then I did on carts.
2. I also spend 10X more time on shaving related activities since the switch i.e forums & shaving in general.
3. I still buy Gillette carts to use at work or when I'm feeling lazy (I Work in a hospital).
4. AOS still owns my favorite shave cream.
5. I had a nightmare that the Gillette staff formed a mob, kidnapping my family, while forcing me to pay the ransom with items from my shaving stash.

.....I may have to talk to one of my colleagues at work, I have a problem.
#5 :lol:

This has been good for some laughs!

1. I haven't thrown out my fusion ( for some reason I feel it necessary to keep it around)
2. I feel alone when it comes to my shaving hobby besides this forum
3. I've only used vdh soap since I started de shaving 10 months ago I want to try others but I'm trying to justify the price difference
4. Bad cuts make me want to quit, I whole heartedly refuse to give up ( I've only had 2)
5. I have no desire for a rotation but only one solid razor, blade, brush, and soap

1. I have a few disposable Mach 3's for guests. I wonder if I should have a "guest" Tech instead.
2. I have gone from vintage razors to modern fountain pens to . . . considering a double-breasted trenchcoat and leather boots.
3. I plan on coordinating #2 with a steampunk outfit for the fun of it. No sense in having a nice pair of black leather boots that you only wear once or twice a year . . .
4. I believe that any shoe or boot without a foam midsole is like walking on concrete. I pay tithes to the Obscure Cult of Sorbothane graphite arch insoles, which delivers me from plantar fasciitis and stress fractures.
5. I like my modern VW GTI more than any vintage car that I've ever seen, except in looks. A midnight blue Stingray Corvette would be up there . . . . if it were only as good a car as it looked from the outside . . .

1). I think Proraso smells like marijuana.
2). This is more relatable but I have an Acquisition Disorder.
3). I have judged my past 3 blades from the first shave, some of which I've thrown out (Personna Red. Uh-hm).
4). I tend to impulse buy after reading artisan soap maker's philosophies.
5). I own 3 brushes and haven't even reached a full month of this new style of shaving.

1. I have a few disposable Mach 3's for guests. I wonder if I should have a "guest" Tech instead.

In addition. Not instead. While it's good to offer them, I think it's counter productive to force them. This isn't 1965, so despite the fact that we have the superior tools, they're still unfamiliar tools to the uninitiated.

1. I set my Fat Boy at 2 and I find techs a little too aggressive. Either my technique sucks or I really do have a baby face.
1.a I still like my techs, but functionally they are simply a counter-balance for my brush in its stand.​

2. I keep a Mach 3 around just in case. In case of what, I've no idea.

3. I need another razor like I need another face to shave. Yes. I want both.

4. Of course I get up extra early just get a nice shave. I now see that this is entirely normal. Thank you all for the affirmation.

5. Enjoying a new scent (aftershave, cologne, EDT,... whatever) is exactly equal to enjoying a new scotch, just easier on my liver.

So many more. So many more to list. :001_tongu

A couple New ones:
1-I finally got my SRAD in check. And then I discovered DE's... I have had to physically be restrained from bidding on a New or Old style.
2-I PIF quite a bit, but never through starting a thread. When a Newbie asks about a good starter set, I rustle up one of my less-loved DE's, buy a VDH boar brush from Walmart, and grab a soap that I haven't used yet. This has happened three times in the past month, and still hasn't made much of a dent in my stash.
3- 95% of the PIF's I win get PIFed on to others who aren't members here. Most of my stash is from antique stores and Etsy.
4- I intentionally splash on Aqua Velva then run outside wearing as little clothing as decency allows. Love it!
5- SWMBO let me shave her legs with a straight razor. Interesting for me, but nothing to get too excited about. She stole one of my hair-shaper shavettes for just this purpose though.
6- I spend WAY too much time here. My job is best described as "Hours of boredom interspersed with moments of pure adrenaline." Guess where I spend my hours of boredom?

Last edited:
Top Bottom