What's new

The best Scotch, Bourbon, and Whiskey for a beginner

Blantons was always a good choice. Although I've noticed that its all of the sudden being carried in Costco and the like. Makes me concerned about potential loss of quality. I haven't tried any since I noticed this. Been on a Scotch kick. But none of them would be starter scotches

Bourbon; Evan Williams Black. Scored in the top ten of a blind tasting right behind Pappy VanWinkles at $100 a bottle versus $10 a bottle for EW. Scotch; Dimple Pinch, good solid Scotch for the price. Whiskey; Wild Turkey 101. Just my personal opinions based on a vast sampling of the products.

These guys give some good advice, and I'm not much of a scotch guy so I'll stick with what I know.
Wild Turkey 101 is far and away my favorite bourbon that is readily available. That being said, I was at Jewel the other day and they had handles of Jim Beam on sale for about as much as a 750ml bottle of Wild Turkey, so I didn't pass that up. Needless to say this is what I'm drinking as I type this sentence :)

Also, I didn't see anyone else mention Buffalo Trace, but I've liked it when I've tried it.

For a good scotch cocktail, I recommend the classic "Rusty Nail." You only need two ingredients... Scotch, and Drambuie, which is a whiskey based liqueur with honey herbs and spices.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Until recently, I only drank my bourbon mixed with Coke. My favorite mixing bourbon is Wild Turkey 101. Initially I found it a bit much for sipping neat. But since trying other bourbons for sipping, namely Woodford Reserve Double Oak and Bulleit 10 y.o. "Frontier Whiskey", I've been able to sip WT neat. But I still prefer Wild Turkey for mixing. Even though I really enjoy sipping Woodford Reserve D.O. and Bulliet, they don't mix as well with Coke, as I tried both when out of W.T. 101. My first Scotch was Famous Grouse, a very smooth but inexpensive blend. Highly recommend it as a first Scotch. Then tried Black Grouse, also a good blend, slightly smokey. Most currently I'm working my way through some Glenfiddich 12 y.o. as my first single malt. Just starting to appreciate the complexities of good scotch. I still have a lot to learn myself. Enjoy your education!

Last edited:
Like Edcculus mentioned Highland Park 12 is the bottle to get.

Anyone who knows Scotch should know this is the top rated value for a single malt and the best place to start. In the $40.00 range you will have a scotch to compare to all others, equal those in the $100.00 range, share with friends while looking smart and knowledgeable should you have an experienced drinker over for a dram. This is the one to get. The more you dig and research the more you will learn of it's reputation.

Later on I would also advise Ardbeg 10, my winter preference. A great more peaty Scotch. HP 12 is perfect right now in the summer. I generally like it as it is or with the smallest drop of spring water.

Howdy folks,
Having been only a beer drinking since legal age, I know very little of the distilled world. So, what am I missing? What should I start off with that will open my eyes to this wonderful world I'm missing?

Some excellent whiskeys have been suggested, but most probably won't be enjoyed much by a "beginner". I'd echo the others that suggested Maker's Mark for a starting bourbon. It's delicious mixed or neat and is relatively cheap. Save the spendy stuff for later.
Try mixing it with ginger ale. If you like that combo then try the bourbon neat or on ice

Scotch, I would go with Oban 12 YO. Whiskey would have to be Tullamore Dew. I don't drink Bourbon, so I will eave that to the ones that know it better.

Scotch: I'd say Highland Park is a great suggestion, but would also throw in Glenmorange and Macallan. The 10 yr Glenmorange is a great buy and is in the same price range as the HP12. I don't love Macallan, but it's a good, approachable scotch that can open doors. It's pricey for a 12yr and I think the Glenmorange wood-finish offerings or 18 yr is better in that $60'ish range. The Necatr d'Or is probably my favorite wood finish, followed by the Port wood. The Glenmorange 10 is a great go at $35-40 and I normally keep it around.

Bourbon: I drink Woodford Reserve, but would also recommend Knob Creek (my backup to Woodford), Bookers, and Basil Hayden.

Other Whiskey: Jameson is a good, and VERY available Irish whiskey. Bullet Rye is a must try as well.

I drink all of my whiskey neat, with just a drop or 3 of water. I suggest you start with a small pour into a glass, then very slowly add purified water to your liking. The really thin caps used on most water bottles is a good measuring device to find out what you like and not over do it in the process. Try it with a single ice cube too.

If you're going to dump it in coke, get some cheap but respectable. There's no need for top shelf though.

Lots of good suggestions so far for bourbons and scotches. I'll add another scotch for your consideration - Talisker. It's an Ilse of Skye creation that's got flavor and spice, yet it's mild and pleasant neat for newcomers to whiskey. I'd almost say that if you remove the smokey peat from it, you might have a mild rye whiskey on your hands.

For the price one of my favorite bourbons is Buffalo Trace. W.L. Weller (same distillery) is a pretty smooth starting point to. Both should be available for less than $20.

If you try bourbon and find it a bit too sweet, try a rye. (I've only tried Sazerac) IMO though the rye held up better in cocktails because it wasn't so sweet.

My "inexpensive" choices are:

Scotch: JW Black. At the $50 price point, Cragganmore 12.
Bourbon: Makers Mark, and Buffalo Trace
Whiskey: I'm partial to Bulleit Rye. Templeton is good, but not $15 "more good"
Irish: Jameson is an "old reliable", but we really enjoy Bushmills "Black Bush". Tried a bottle of "Feckin Irish Whiskey" and it was pretty good.

I recently got back from touring several of the distilleries in Kentucky and subsequently joined the Scotch and Bourbon Club at work. It's something of an old fashioned gentlemen's club the price of admission is a bottle of good hooch. After work ours we'll sample various spirits and compare notes. The most significant observation I'll make is that everyones tastes are different. What one person finds appealing another may find simply acceptable.

Ok that being said.

Inexpensive bourbon: I am a fan of Jim Beam Black. It's 8 years old and drinks a lot better than several of the premiums in my book.

Overall bourbon of choice: I like Knob Creek. I've tried several more that are costlier but Knob Creek just tastes best to me. However I'm not about to stop my search for something even better.

Scotch: I really can't make a good suggestion here because I am yet to encounter a single malt that doesn't agree with me. They're all unique and good in their own way. That being said, Balvenie doublewood 12 and Glenmorangie 10 are both very good approachable single malts at a reasonable price point.

Since the thread has been going for awhile I'm curious if the OP has found one they already like?

Cheers!

Scotch: Dewars White label was my first scotch, actually was my first whiskey! I like it. Its light and smooth. Johnnie Walker Black is good. Chivas Regal 12yr isnt all that bad. Scotch is an acquired taste in whiskey. I tried some with peated malt. I LOVED the flavor, but it took Jaeger to push it from my tongue (I LOVE Jager!) It was a bit much, to be honest.
Bourbon: Not sure. I did not like Makers Mark much. Good flavor, but I got bad bad tongue burn from it. Which then ruined the flavor. I have a 750mL bottle of Woodford Reserve my mom just brought me from KY (a liquor store though they did visit the distillery). That always gets high reviews, I shall see. I also have a bottle of I.W. Harper from 1964 that I like. 49 years young ;)
Whiskey: Gentleman Jack. Its smooth, and over the rocks its great for a beginner. I'm enjoying some right now. I like Jack Daniels anyway, Black label, Green label, Single barrel are all A-OK in my book :) GJ is just smoother so the flavors come about nicer. Jameson, while too mildly flavored for me, would be great for a new whiskey drinker, IMO. Crown Royal BLACK is good. Smooth like Crown Royal is known for, but immensely more flavorful. And it comes with a black Crown Royal bag, which is just neat :D But, once again, for the price, I will (personally) take GJ...

I drink my whiskey all on the rocks.

To save money, get small bottles. They cost more per mL, but if you don't like something, its less money your out. If you DO like something, go buy bigger bottles!

Top Bottom