What's new

Favorite Dive Bar.

Let's all toast our favorite neighborhood dive bar. I just read this article http://www.theatlanticwire.com/ente...-us-be-thankful-dive-bar-now-more-ever/59235/, which is sort of an ode to the dive bar.

I just recently moved from Boston and I can tell you I miss my favorite dive bar (The Tam, for you Boston folks). It wasn't the cleanest. They only accepted cash, but were happy to hold your seat while you ran to the ATM to load up. Food was provided by the pizza shop next door or from a variety of delivery menus they kept behind the register. The drinks were cheap and the pours were generous. By far the best Manhattan I've had at a quarter of the price and double the whiskey you would get at a "fancier" place. A definite "come as you are" crowd. The more restaurants and bars I go to, the more I appreciate the unassuming neighborhood dive bar. I am currently looking for a new place in my new habitat that will replace the void The Tam filled for so many years during my time in Boston.

Tell us about your favorite dive bar...the place where you will always feel comfortable and welcome enjoying your favorite drink.

The Broadway Dive on Broadway and 101 St. In NYC. It's a real Dive Bar not a new bar trying to be a Dive bar!

I don't have a favorite here since I'm new to the area, but my all time favorite is Archies Pub on Hwy 24, Jacksonville, NC. A buddy who got out was the bartender and Wednesday was nickel draft night. Like all good dive bars, it shares the building with a tattoo parlor.

Lot of great memories there.

I just don't go to bars very often. Around here, which is all built up on the suburbia model, the neighborhood dive bar might be in a shopping strip. Otherwise, it is one of those theme type chain places. Most bars just are not oriented to the neighborhood that they are in, or really cater to the locals.

Spike's Keg o' Nails, Grayling Michigan
Harold's Silver Dollar Bar, Higgins Lake Mich
Art's Tavern, Glen Arbor Mich
My Dad's Bar, in international waters between Detroit and Grosse Pointe Park Mich

When I was in college in Florida, there was a chain of package liquor stores, some of which had a bar in the back. Crown Liquors, or Crown Lounge. We used to call it Scrounge Lounge. Back in the day, they had $1 drinks. We used to drink rum and coke or whiskey and seven all evening. These days, I don't usually drink liquor; I drink mostly beer and wine at home. But those were the days.

When I was in college in Florida, there was a chain of package liquor stores, some of which had a bar in the back. Crown Liquors, or Crown Lounge. We used to call it Scrounge Lounge. Back in the day, they had $1 drinks. We used to drink rum and coke or whiskey and seven all evening. These days, I don't usually drink liquor; I drink mostly beer and wine at home. But those were the days.

Your playing my song!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The Alibi. The Roundup. Harry's Corner Bar. Johnny White's Sports Bar. All in the French Quarter. Any place that the tourists are scared to walk into, is a good dive bar in New Orleans.

Phyllis' Musical Inn on Division St. in the Wicker Park neighborhood of Chicago. Relatively Cheap drinks, and bad cover bands!

Honorable mention: the Beacon Pub in Forest Park, Il in the near west 'burbs of Chicago. Great selection of beers on tap.

Last edited:
The Last Chance Saloon in Edgewater Florida.

Since Jimmy's Home Bar closed this one pretty much tops the list for me.

Last chance has cleaned up a little since the Wuornos notoriety put it on the map

I love dive bars! I miss them now that I am in suburgatory with kids, job, etc.! I have many from my past, but two of my all time favorites stem from my time in college in the late 80's in Milwaukee:

1. Avalanche Bar (known as "The Lanche"). Red, White & Blue Beer. Neil Young on scratchy jukebox. Nary a self-respecting coed. Occasional drunken buddy doing a "naked beer slide". Enough said.

2. The Midget Bar. Located steps from Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment. Enough said.

Over the holidays, let's all remember to stop in at a Dive Bar, have a shot and a beer, and leave before your clothes catch "that stench" and you get busted at home.

Top Bottom