What's new

Gentlemen's aftershave?

Define masculine
Define gentle

Really, how can I possibly know what these words mean to you? I can base my comments on what they mean to me, but how does this help you?

Actually, define gentleman.

Define masculine
Define gentle

Really, how can I possibly know what these words mean to you? I can base my comments on what they mean to me, but how does this help you?

Actually, define gentleman.

ok. here's the scene: you enter a room. there is a nice smell of men's aftershave in there. now from that you imagine what kind of a man was there. was he masculine like Hulk Hogan?!! or was it a handsome young man?
if there is an aftershave that has both characteristics in it that is truly a "gentlemen's" aftershave :biggrin:

ok. here's the scene: you enter a room. there is a nice smell of men's aftershave in there. now from that you imagine what kind of a man was there. was he masculine like Hulk Hogan?!! or was it a handsome young man?
if there is an aftershave that has both characteristics in it that is truly a "gentlemen's" aftershave :biggrin:

Well, if I entered and empty room and there was a lingering smell of men's aftershave, I would assume that someone used way to much aftershave.

If you define masculine as "Hulk Hogan", then I'm not sure what to say; and by implication you are saying that a handsome young man cannot be masculine (use of the word or implies that it is one or the other, but not both). Now I will agree that Hulk Hogan is neither young nor handsome, but I'm not sure he qualifies as masculine.

Well, if I entered and empty room and there was a lingering smell of men's aftershave, I would assume that someone used way to much aftershave.

If you define masculine as "Hulk Hogan", then I'm not sure what to say; and by implication you are saying that a handsome young man cannot be masculine (use of the word or implies that it is one or the other, but not both). Now I will agree that Hulk Hogan is neither young nor handsome, but I'm not sure he qualifies as masculine.

the first sentence was to give you the idea. well, just ask SWMBO if she finds Hulk masculine. or perhaps chuck norris? :biggrin:

the first sentence was to give you the idea. well, just ask SWMBO if she finds Hulk masculine. or perhaps chuck norris? :biggrin:

I believe what fccexpert is getting at is that these are very objective qualities you're asking about. Your idea of masculine or gentlemanly would be different from anyone else's. It isn't the same as asking for a scent that's citrusy, or fruity, which can be somewhat agreed upon. It's like asking for a "great" smelling aftershave. It's just vague.

I believe what fccexpert is getting at is that these are very objective qualities you're asking about. Your idea of masculine or gentlemanly would be different from anyone else's. It isn't the same as asking for a scent that's citrusy, or fruity, which can be somewhat agreed upon. It's like asking for a "great" smelling aftershave. It's just vague.

my dear friends. i already knew it would be a difficult question to answer since we haven't met each other(yet?). and because of that i originally put underline under "your" in my question. i want to know what you think. sorry about the confusion and thank you for all of your comments.

regards

siamac :biggrin:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Clubman Special Reserve
Jay:
+ 1...and Special Reserve is my 'one & only go-to' AS/Cologne. Besides...in my opinion, all Clubman products are in 'a league of their own' and ...one of the true Arts of Manliness!!! :yesnod:

proxy.php
"Hard work is the aftershave of accomplishment". Author Unknown

attachment.php

That is part of it, but I am also trying to draw out the core information required to answer the question. My experience with questions like this is that most people know at some level what they are asking, but are unable to clearly articulate it to a wide audience. My questions/comments are intended to draw out this internalize knowledge through a system of questions and challenges. What I have been able to deduce so far is that:

1) The OP sees some conflict between the concepts of "masculine" and "gentleman".
2) This conflict is based on his understanding (or lack thereof) of how women (or maybe a particular woman) views this issue
3) He is looking for a way to resolve this conflict

Also from his answers it would appear that by "masculine" he means a man of action as opposed to a man of ideas (yes, I know neither Hulk Hogan or Chuch Norris is truely a man of action, but they play one on TV and do it fairly well). And by "gentleman" he means a man who is young and handsome and probably "sensitive" in the sense that women use the term.

As to the scent that would portray both of these, I would say clubman fits the bill, as long as it is used in moderation. Others can probably come up with something similar. I would stay away from anyting with a strong floral scent. But as a final note, I would say use what you like and don't worry about what someone else thinks. If you like it, then it probably fits the image you are trying to project. Just use it in moderation. Remember, if you can smell it on yourself 30 minutes after application, you have used too much.

That is part of it, but I am also trying to draw out the core information required to answer the question. My experience with questions like this is that most people know at some level what they are asking, but are unable to clearly articulate it to a wide audience. My questions/comments are intended to draw out this internalize knowledge through a system of questions and challenges. What I have been able to deduce so far is that:

1) The OP sees some conflict between the concepts of "masculine" and "gentleman".
2) This conflict is based on his understanding (or lack thereof) of how women (or maybe a particular woman) views this issue
3) He is looking for a way to resolve this conflict

Also from his answers it would appear that by "masculine" he means a man of action as opposed to a man of ideas (yes, I know neither Hulk Hogan or Chuch Norris is truely a man of action, but they play one on TV and do it fairly well). And by "gentleman" he means a man who is young and handsome and probably "sensitive" in the sense that women use the term.
As to the scent that would portray both of these, I would say clubman fits the bill, as long as it is used in moderation. Others can probably come up with something similar. I would stay away from anyting with a strong floral scent. But as a final note, I would say use what you like and don't worry about what someone else thinks. If you like it, then it probably fits the image you are trying to project. Just use it in moderation. Remember, if you can smell it on yourself 30 minutes after application, you have used too much.

IMHO not all gentlemen are masculine and not all masculine guys are gentlemen. my idea was to portray a handsome "tough guy" who is also(as you mentioned) sensitive specially when it comes to women.that what i think is a masculine gentleman. i might have chosen wrong words. it's the same idea as when we distinguish between men and lady's fragrance but with more details. like when you want to guess the ingredients of your meal at a restaurant.

Top Bottom