What's new

Vintage Avon find

John, that is a fanatastic haul, especially the Williams shave stick. How about a couple pictures of just it, maybe out of the jar. Pretty please?

Your wish is my command, mon ami:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This one may have seen some light use. Unlike my other example, the top edge is a little rounded-off, and the paper label is starting to peel. This'll be the one that gets a try!

Here's the latest Avon I just got home with. Remember When gas pump full of Wild Country and the Alpine Decanter full of Spicy AS. The Alpine decanter is really cool.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Tom scores again!!! I tracked down that Alpine Decanter with Avon Original AS some months ago... but it ran me considerably more than $3!

Christmas morning 1969, my first bottle of aftershave, Avon Excaliber in a snoopy dog bottle. I was twelve, and didn't start shaving for a couple more years (Irish heritage, not mediterranean).

proxy.php

The bottle disappeared decades ago, probably didn't even use all the AS. Don't know if it burned up in one of my mom's house fires or in a yard sale.
This photo survived one of the fires though, and I got to wondering about the Avon bottle a few weeks ago. I found one online for a few bucks plus postage. It's about half full of AS too. SWMBO likes the smell (but hates Tabac, go figure).

proxy.php

Kind of silly maybe, but no sillier than shaving with a 100 year old straight razor, or a 50 year old DE safety razor, you know?

Last edited:
That's quite a nostalgic blast, Norm! It's almost as awesome as your avatar picture, which totally has me giggling. :001_smile

BTW, considering that the Avon ladies were pitching their wares to the lady of the house, who selected the scents they wanted to smell on their men, it's no surprise at all that Avon appeals to the fairer sex. My wife adores all of them (even the ones that seem a little iffy to me).

Kind of silly maybe, but no sillier than shaving with a 100 year old straight razor, or a 50 year old DE safety razor, you know?

I agree with everybody else, not silly at all. I occasionally shave with Old Spice foam not because of it's foamy excellence, but because the texture and scent remind me of being a teenager.

-jim

Theres a flea market down the road that I stopped at. whole box of avon decanters,mostly wild country and thai wind, 25 cents each. lots of automotive bottles,most seem to be full. they are there every week.

Mind telling where that is? Might be some guys here that would like to snag some of it.

Theres a flea market down the road that I stopped at. whole box of avon decanters,mostly wild country and thai wind, 25 cents each. lots of automotive bottles,most seem to be full. they are there every week.

Rt.12B north of Hamilton,N.Y. Its not really a flea market as such,this guy has a barn full of stuff he gets at auctions and garage sales. Out front is the 25 cent table,big box of Avon decanters sitting there. I sniffed the wild country and thai wind,but I'm more of a bay rum guy.

not an ordinary Thermos of aftershave.
proxy.php

Found this little guy a couple of weeks ago, I don't think I noticed one referenced yet.
proxy.php

The paint has some chips here and there, but over all it's in good shape.
proxy.php

Used to be filled with Wild Country, but all that remains is the scent. No problem though, this Thermos will be used to house other AS I have looking for a suitable home.

proxy.php

It's got paint, and stripes, and a cup built right in!

Yes it is, Tom. It was the first DE I grabbed when looking to get some size perspective. I actually took a couple of shots with a MM, but then figured a DE would be more familiar to more people. I promise it won't happen again:lol:

Top Bottom