What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

Max, both Ken and I have 'active' rotations whereas Dr. Peter is a serious collector/enthusiast and so is Ben. They both have 'sets' of each style in every size, so e.g. Ben and Peter will have all three sizes of Rooney style 1 FINEST where as Ken and I will stick with the one size that we both find suitable for rotational use...though sadly enough, and in raw violation of my New Years resolution to simplify my life, I find myself on the brink of being branded a collector...albeit a modest one...

Ken and Sameer, having seen many of your gorgeous brushes displayed here, I must say you guys seem to use your brushes with regularity, as opposed to some collectors who store them unused. I'm not passing judgment on either approach, other than I don't have the intestinal fortitude to keep my grubby mitts off a new brush looking me in the eye and daring me to not use it.

There wasn't an attachment before.

Attachments

• $IMG_0548.jpg
    $IMG_0548.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 405
It almost seems here, that one has to justify one's enthusiasm for brushes (and I thought we all contributed to this forum on the basis of sharing such enthusiasms). I understand "strain theory" in explaining behaviours within the realms of criminology, but is one's access to resources and subsequent ability to acquire brushes upsetting people? Is this some sought of witch hunt or a perhaps a conspiracy to oust collectors who could possibly be single handedly driving up prices in their quest to selfishly amass a herd of brushes? Or is it distressing some contributors that the these brushes might be held captive, stored as museum pieces and not used as their makers intended and permitted to lather often and freely?

Well, let me point out a few things.

Firstly I photograph all my brushes on arrival and only sometimes after use (when requested or comparing etc etc) so many may get the impression that they are not being used.

Secondly I post pictures of my brushes in an effort to share (not brag about an expanding collection - if anything this sharing only hampers matters with SWMBO - so really I'm taking one for the team here!)

Thirdly I use all my brushes (except for 2 giant Rooney brushes that are definitely only for display as one could lather a wooly mammoth with it and have enough lather to shave it about 5 times over), but when you have a large collection it takes time to move through all the brushes (as there's no point using a brush once and often there are brushes that I wish to revisit in an effort to compare and contrast and of course I have my favourites).

Fourthly, I am looking forward to passing on my brushes to my 2 sons when they begin to shave (so this makes pricey acquisitions easier to justify to myself).

And lastly, perhaps brushes are a bit like girlfriends... rather than trying one and moving on to the next (putting them on the B/S/T) I have largely remained friends with all of mine (brushes anyway!)

Please don't interpret this post as a bitter diatribe or attack on posters with only a few brushes, because it isn't. I know earlier comments were made in jest, but I decided to write a spirited reply to match my passion for shaving brushes, so lets all have a go at those who have too many straights (I have 4 TI "...wing", 5 Le Grelot, and ...)

Last edited:
And lastly, perhaps brushes are a bit like girlfriends... rather than trying one and moving on to the next (putting them on the B/S/T) I have largely remained friends with all of mine (brushes anyway!)

If the length of this thread is anything to go by, the old adage that "gentlemen prefer blonds (or blondes)" applies to shaving brushes as well as girlfriends. Personally, I'm not sentimental about brushes, if they don't work for me, off to BST or ebay they go and on to the next one. Since I keep my herd to 12, they have to be pretty good to make the cut.

It almost seems here, that one has to justify one's enthusiasm for brushes (and I thought we all contributed to this forum on the basis of sharing such enthusiasms).

Ben, you may be right on your logic for some folks. But your premise is spot on, we come here to share and discuss our passion.

That said, not all passions are the same. Things like brushes range from necessary tool to enjoyable component to best part of wet shaving (where I fall) to collector status where appreciation of brushes leads you to want to own them, just to own them, like fine art. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these. It's all what works for you.

There are minimalists who see owning more than 1-2 brushes as excessive complication to their lives. Someone like that will look at a dozen brushes and shake their heads at the "excess":lol: There are collectors with hundreds of brushes who lament not owning something that has escaped their quest. But it's all good.

The vast majority are okay with where they fit and can still support others who are in a different place.

Of course, there will always be a few "hater" out there but the vast majority of these kinds of comments are very tongue in cheek. People could well take comments I make about small brushes as "hating" but they are always "intended" in good jest.

And trust me, we all enjoy your taking one for the team from SWMBO:thumbup: Without that controlling influence, my den would look much closer to yours, my friend!

Cheers,

Ken

Ken and Ben-
I am relatively new here, but something I have loved about the site is that it is accommodating to shavers of all types. That has opened the doors for so many kinds of discussions. A month ago I would have fallen into the excess camp --- not from a value judgement standpoint, but from the belief that I really only needed "one brush." Yet here I am, with an XL1, a M&F 26/49, and M&F 28/50 AND an XL2 and a M&F 31/52 on the way... not to mention that I WILL buy a Thater 2-band when it comes out, and am planning what kind of handle I would want to ask Rudy to make and slap a shavemac D01 fan into! So BOOM, I have gone from practical to budding collector in a very short period.

Wet shaving, in so many ways, reminds me of cooking. Each brush, blade, soap or cream a different ingredient --- when you combine them in different ways you get different experiences. Perhaps you are content to keep just salt and pepper in your pantry - I have several different kinds of salts, and peppers, chili powders, etc. I certainly wouldn't call it excessive, but each spice brings something different to the plate --- as does each brush to the shaving experience.

Just my thoughts. I've enjoyed the ride thus far!!!

When I was a kid, I'd dream of someday being like Mickey Mantle, Duke Snider, Gordie Howe, Frank Gifford, Bart Starr...

Now, I'm just a Ben, Ken, Sameer, Dr. P. wanna be and that's not bad at all. I play the same game as those other guys as I did as a kid, just in a different league (yup, I've got 2 M&Fs thanks to one of our heroes being "approachable," unlike most sports figures). I enjoy their shared knowledge, experience, support and enthusiasm. They've surely saved me $$ by steering me away from making the wrong /uninformed purchase. And I've got a much better chance of buying another brush than I do of hitting one out against Don Drysdale.

When you buy new stuff who else can you share it with? Your Norelco spinning Neanderthal friends? Of course not! That's what you forum friends are for. So thank you brush idols and when you have a Wet Shaver's Summer Camp sign me up.

Wet shaving, in so many ways, reminds me of cooking. Each brush, blade, soap or cream a different ingredient --- when you combine them in different ways you get different experiences. Perhaps you are content to keep just salt and pepper in your pantry - I have several different kinds of salts, and peppers, chili powders, etc. I certainly wouldn't call it excessive, but each spice brings something different to the plate --- as does each brush to the shaving experience.

A great analogy! As a cook myself, I really like it!

When you buy new stuff who else can you share it with? Your Norelco spinning Neanderthal friends? Of course not! That's what you forum friends are for.

Exactly, Jon!

when you have a Wet Shaver's Summer Camp sign me up.

What a great idea! I'm in!

Ken

Guys-

If I've stirred any ill will here, please forgive me. I meant nothing of the sort. To me, the gathering, keeping, trading, etc is all part of the wonderful world of wet shaving.

And its all too convenient to address brushes because, we need them whether we use a DE, str8, cartridge or shard of glass.

OK guys. Come clean.
HOW MANY M&F brushes do you each have? Ken? 11?
Sameer? 10?
Ben?
Dr P?

'Fess up, please.

RE: the "how many M&F"s do you have?"

I had 2 at one point, but they grew to be to small for me...so I'm upgrading currently (i have none, 1 on the way)

the 31mm should be here soon, then a chubby 3 style will be next, maybe a Polo shape after that, or a giant beehive :w00t:

Top Bottom