What's new

What is wrong with this country?

I am by no means a whiner. I have taken my lumps in life & soldiered on with Scots Irish resolve. But today, April 14, 2010, has brought me to the point of wondering what it’s all about. What is wrong with the United States of America? I will try to keep this as short as possible without losing the main point.

Three years ago I lived in, and was making payments on, a rehabbed farm house in rural Maryland with my wife and daughter. I was a full-time State employee who also had a part-time job with a consultant in the same field in which I work. My wife was also a State employee. Life was good.

In early 2008, the State changed its ethics rules and the consultant I worked for had to let all of its part-time employees who had State jobs go in order to continue bidding on State projects. Mind you, I never worked on State funded projects…but that was that…. $20,000 a year part-time out the window. This made paying the mortgage (which we willingly assumed in the height of the bubble) very tough. Later in the year foreclosure proceedings were started against us even though we had always made at least partial payments. The large national lender that we had would not work with us, stopped accepting partial payments and Obama had yet to become the savior of the mortgage-oppressed. By the end of the year, my wife, daughter and I were living with my mother. Also in late 2008, the funding for my wife’s State job was cut and she was laid-off. I fortunately retain my job, but we are now living on my income alone…which was reduced in 2009 and again this year from budget shortfall induced furlough days.

So what does this have to do with April 14, 2010? I am sure some of you can guess. Tomorrow is Tax Day. Because I was foreclosed upon, I cannot get a new mortgage. Because I have no mortgage, I pay no deductible interest. However, I get up and go to work every day, pay my taxes and SSI and Medicare witholdings, pay for my portion of my family’s health coverage, pay astronomical gas taxes and sit in traffic jams both ways to and from work…all for the extreme personal pleasure of being told that I now owe the Federal Government over $4,000 in upaid income tax for 2009!

And the best part of all is this little nugget that one can find on the IRS website when reading about how to apply for, and the fees and interest associated with, a payment plan for income tax debt owed….

“Before requesting an installment agreement, you should consider less costly alternatives such as a bank loan.”

That’s rich!

Last edited:
My friend, I feel ya. I think it simply comes down to the all mighty $$$. It is not about helping people, it is about the Benjamins. I want all of you to know that I am not trying to complain at all, but you can see my post in this area of the forum. I simply do not understand, this is America....the richest country in the world and here we sit. I have an idea....how about a cap on the amount of money a pro athlete can earn, say $250000-$500000 a year, not $20,000,000 a year. Take that money and put it into helping this country out. Obama said "share the wealth" right? Well Bill Gates does not "need" his billions of dolars. My point is that there are many many mega rich people in this country, but are they stepping in to help...nope they are buying another house.
OK I am sorry about ranting everyone. :) This stuff is hard. I wish I could help you my friend, but i will keep you in my prayers and keep thinking positive.

My friend, I feel ya. I think it simply comes down to the all mighty $$$. It is not about helping people, it is about the Benjamins. I want all of you to know that I am not trying to complain at all, but you can see my post in this area of the forum. I simply do not understand, this is America....the richest country in the world and here we sit. I have an idea....how about a cap on the amount of money a pro athlete can earn, say $250000-$500000 a year, not $20,000,000 a year. Take that money and put it into helping this country out. Obama said "share the wealth" right? Well Bill Gates does not "need" his billions of dolars. My point is that there are many many mega rich people in this country, but are they stepping in to help...nope they are buying another house.
OK I am sorry about ranting everyone. :) This stuff is hard. I wish I could help you my friend, but i will keep you in my prayers and keep thinking positive.

We only have ourselves to blame. We let athletes make that kind of money, we let large corporate CEO's make their bonuses by laying off workers. We pay taxes for a military that allows no-bid contracts to pay for contractors to do the jobs of soldiers at rates 10 times higer than the soldiers wages. We allow insurance companies to keep raising rates and denying coverage. We are to blame, we are a country that doesn't really manufacture anymore, we consume. When something happens and we consume less, then it all falls apart.

And as a side, I have to give some of the mega rich props like Gates because they do give quite a bit away and plan to basically give it all away when they die.
Michael

Last edited:
Well Bill Gates does not "need" his billions of dolars.

He has given over 28,000,000,000.00 dollars away.
We the people bear the market. Athletes make tons of money because tons of people willingly spend a lot of money on them and there endorsed products. Same for all of the entertainment industry.

Caribbean Soul best of luck!

Recessions suck, and this one is a doozy. Its impact on local and state governments is just getting underway, unfortunately.

- Chris

I mailed off my check to the IRS today as usual. We owe every year and we own a home, we have good income and contribute much to charities. To know 47% don't pay into tax's is no surprise but I will still have to pay as usual and just hope the hit isn't as bad as the year prior.

I don't want to get into what political spectrum or policies is right but knowing full well I pay to what is being shelled out in government programs is upsetting (5 minutes typing and editing to make sure I don't get a PM:001_tt2:)

This is a very good thread but hopefully no one kills it.

I personally feel that the biggest problem with the country is the fact that we've let government creep into every facet of our lives. Most people can't even tell you what the Constitution says, let alone what it means to us as citizens(yes, for the moment we are still citizens and not subjects). When the Constitution was written, the brilliant individuals that hashed it out limited what the government could control, (remember that little thing called "enumerated powers"?) because they understood what would happen if the government got too big and too powerful. They designed this to be a country of citizens that just happened to have a government, but it has turned into a government power that is fortunate enough to have us as citizens. Good for them, because it gives them a huge resource on which to feed--our hard work. Maybe someone in charge will grow a brain at some point and realize that LOWER taxes actually feed MORE revenue into the federal coffers. Oh, wait, I forgot, it's not really about revenues, it's about control. What was I thinking?:confused1 Okay, rant over.

I mailed off my check to the IRS today as usual. We owe every year and we own a home, we have good income and contribute much to charities. To know 47% don't pay into tax's is no surprise but I will still have to pay as usual and just hope the hit isn't as bad as the year prior.

I don't want to get into what political spectrum or policies is right but knowing full well I pay to what is being shelled out in government programs is upsetting (5 minutes typing and editing to make sure I don't get a PM:001_tt2:)

This is a very good thread but hopefully no one kills it.

PM sent. :biggrin1:

It all made a little more sense to me when I came to understand that, contrary to all intuition, the tax code is not about providing funds to the federal government; it is about social engineering, vote purchasing, and constituency building. And believe me, no matter how cynical you get, you can't keep up.

+1, Dewaine! Hopefully, we'll get control of it before we become the new France. No offense to anyone that happens to be French, of course. It may not be your fault.

Sorry about your bad fortune, I think your title should read "What is wrong with the world today"? Every country is like that. It seems to me that all that matters nowadays id money and the more you have the better off you are. This day and age really stinks I'm sure most will agree

Sorry about your bad fortune, I think your title should read "What is wrong with the world today"? Every country is like that. It seems to me that all that matters nowadays id money and the more you have the better off you are. This day and age really stinks I'm sure most will agree

Not for the same reasons but yes.....it is a very trying times for various reasons for many people. Land mine (<-------side step).

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
One would expect that in a free market economy that there would be some lenders willing to extend credit to the millions of people who find themselves in your circumstances, perhaps with a risk premium attached. The fact that this potentially profitable activity is not taking place to the extent necessary reflects a failure to get sufficient liquidity into the market which results is terribly stupid results.

This stuff is happening in Canada as well but certainly it is hurting the US far more than it is here. While Canada is a bit different from the US we have more in common than we have different. One thing we have in common is that it takes big bucks to run election campaigns and our politicians sometimes have at least the appearance at times of being beholding to corporate interests. Both of our countries have tried to deal with this in different ways. From where I sit it looks like government (our!!!!) money has been used to preserve some institutions that should have been allowed to fail . . . and had they been allowed to fail they would have been replaced by institutions that would make decisions that make sense. I'm not sure if the turmoil of failure would have been worse.

Sorry . . . I guess this is a bit of a rant from me as well with no helpful thing to say.

One would expect that in a free market economy that there would be some lenders willing to extend credit to the millions of people who find themselves in your circumstances, perhaps with a risk premium attached. The fact that this potentially profitable activity is not taking place to the extent necessary reflects a failure to get sufficient liquidity into the market which results is terribly stupid results.

This stuff is happening in Canada as well but certainly it is hurting the US far more than it is here. While Canada is a bit different from the US we have more in common than we have different. One thing we have in common is that it takes big bucks to run election campaigns and our politicians sometimes have at least the appearance at times of being beholding to corporate interests. Both of our countries have tried to deal with this in different ways. From where I sit it looks like government (our!!!!) money has been used to preserve some institutions that should have been allowed to fail . . . and had they been allowed to fail they would have been replaced by institutions that would make decisions that make sense. I'm not sure if the turmoil of failure would have been worse.

Sorry . . . I guess this is a bit of a rant from me as well with no helpful thing to say.

The banks have money and they're suppose to lend it's just credit ratings are way low and there are a lot more people that are high risk to lend to. It's a catch 22.

Who knows if it would have been far worse, impossible to know foresee financial future as volatile as it is but the debt wouldn't have increased.

If you think that capping any kind of salaries is a good idea you need to re take 10th grade economics or get on a boat to the USSR. For Serious. For some to have others need to have not, its life luckily we are all collectively the "haves" (ya notice how no one is shooting at us on the regular and we throw out enough food to feed most of the starving kids in the world thats what I mean).

Also on Taxes you don't want money back. End of. Getting a tax refund is not the government giving you money its them giving you back money you loaned them interest free. I would rather owe $4,000 then get it back because you get to keep all the interest that the $4,000 made in your account for the last 12 months.

Yes its a shame that our tax code is overly complex and yes its a shame the the largest write off is owning a home (a decision that makes little economic sense for most people) but the bigger shame is I don't know any one who was taught how to plan for or even do their taxes in school. That my friend is a serious problem.

Also gas prices are high due it being a limited resource with a huge demand because we really dropped the ball on public transit back in the 50's and it would now cost zillions to be able to move most people to/ around major cites with out heavy reliance on personal cars.

And Lastly the recession is over. It has been for some time, its called sustained positive economic growth, it ends recessions, its whats going on now.

p.s. in before the close!

Top Bottom