What's new

Office appropriate fragrances

Honestly, for me, working in health care settings, the only office appropriate fragrance is no fragrance.

Not trying to be contrary or something, but that's my first thought — that usually objections are to the presence or strength of a fragrance rather than the type of fragrance.

Beyond that I think you'd want to stick to something timeless. Not "around for a long time" but something that people don't seem to tire of.

Dress like this guy.
TSDNEWK_FE001-H-2021.jpg

And apply a liberal coating of Clubman Lilac Vegetal.

Here endeth the lesson.

For everyday use, I'd probably avoid strong fragrances. Better to smell "nice", as in freshly showered. Mild scents like soap, talcum powder, etc. that people will not tire of work best.

For special occasions, something "classy" or "gentlemanly" like Guerlain Vetiver, AdP Colonia, Agua Lavanda, etc. You don't want anything "loud".

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I work at home so this is not an issue that concerns me but I feel that nobody has the right to go through life, or to go to work, without being offended or encountering a scent which they do not like. If someone remarks that they do not like a scent I am wearing then I will consider the merit of their words and either continue to wear it or not. "I have an extreme allergy and I am getting a migraine" may just about work, "I do not like your cologne and I have the right to work in a scent-free workplace" will certainly not work, in fact I will probably wear more cologne. It is not a matter of being (in)considerate to others, but frankly people complain about the most trivial things these days that once upon a time did not bother anyone much at all; the nett effect is that now I no longer give a damn. I say wear what you want, wear as much as you want, be 'that guy', and ignore the naysayers. Probably just as well that I work at home 🤣

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I suppose it depends on the size of the office and how close you are to other people's work area, but I'm going to respectfully insist that there is never a good reason to be rude - and certainly not just to satisfy your own whims, which strikes me as a little childish - not that the Ops post implies in any way he would participate in such discourteous behavior.

The safest thing would be to wear none, but assuming you're friendly with your co-workers (and not their boss) you could try one spray of any of your favorites and ask if it was a problem for anyone.

I mostly agree with @silverlifter above...and scents we recommend should depend a little on the setting in which you work. Healthcare, finance, IT? Management, at-home, customer-facing?

In the absence of all that, and assuming you have plenty of facetime with other folks, I would recommend classy, pleasant, classic scents that have generally low projection. Some of my favorites in the "moderate" price category:

- Santa Maria Novella Colonia
- AdP Colonia
- Dior Eau Sauvage (NOT "SAUVAGE")
- Chanel Pour Monsieur
- Floris No89
- Floris Special No127
- Floris Limes
- Nicolai Cologne Cedrat
- Nicolai Cologne Sologne

If you want to go REALLY niche/high-end, consider these (similar performance...just a lot more expensive):

- Xerjoff Renaissance
- Les Indemodables Chypre Azural

Good luck.

P.S. I recommend you order samples/decants of all the ones that interest you and wear them on weekends at home to get a feel for what they smell like on you and how they perform (with feedback from friends and family).

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
One of my session guys arrived at the studio in Berry Hill, TN smelling like Cinnamon one afternoon. I asked him what he was wearing. He said "nothing, I just did a few shots of Fireball before I came in"

The session went fine, btw. :)

w1213868rj_1.jpg

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I work at home so this is not an issue that concerns me but I feel that nobody has the right to go through life, or to go to work, without being offended or encountering a scent which they do not like. If someone remarks that they do not like a scent I am wearing then I will consider the merit of their words and either continue to wear it or not. "I have an extreme allergy and I am getting a migraine" may just about work, "I do not like your cologne and I have the right to work in a scent-free workplace" will certainly not work, in fact I will probably wear more cologne. It is not a matter of being (in)considerate to others, but frankly people complain about the most trivial things these days that once upon a time did not bother anyone much at all; the nett effect is that now I no longer give a damn. I say wear what you want, wear as much as you want, be 'that guy', and ignore the naysayers. Probably just as well that I work at home 🤣

Knowing what type of work do you do and how much do you want to spend would be super helpful if you want solid recommendations.

Bit of a different recommendation for a dentist than a forklift operator. And a bottle of Davidoff Cool Water can be found for around $20 while Roja Dove’s Haute Luxe is over $3000 a bottle. Both are excellent fragrances. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom