What's new

Eucalyptus and menthol

Is there anything similar to the Proraso green soap but higher quality? I found a TFS soap that appears to fit the bill but it looks like it’s unavailable.

Stirling has eucalyptus and mint, but mint is not appealing to me as I’m just looking for the refreshing+menthol feeling minus additional scents.

I did see people recommending getting eucalyptus oil and adding it, but I’ve started face lathering recently and I would prefer to avoid having to add it to a whole tub of soap or the inconvenience of reintroducing a bowl (tub loading then moving to a bowl and adding the oil).

Capt's Choice makes a soap and cream in eucalyptus
Stirling Frost drops are a must for any Menth-Head - just saying...
I’ve actually the frost drops incoming, but that’s more for some experimentation with adding menthol to some splash bottles. I’d really like to avoid adding menthol directly to soap or having to go back to bowl lathering. I’ll keep the CC eucalyptus in mind though in case there’s no other options.

Santa Maria Novella.
That has a tobacco scent though, doesn’t it? Or is it not very strong? I thought of trying the RR SMdF since it’s a fraction of the the price but was a little concerned about whether or not I would like the scent

That has a tobacco scent though, doesn’t it? Or is it not very strong? I thought of trying the RR SMdF since it’s a fraction of the the price but was a little concerned about whether or not I would like the scent
SMN has a very light tobacco scent, but it’s very close to Proraso scent wise and a lot slicker.
D.R. Harris Eucalyptus is another excellent cream, again not as slick as SMN but well worth trying.

Higher quality? Don't let the price fool you, Proraso is high quality soap, it would not have lasted so long if it were not. I suspect you are looking for something more expensive 👍
Poor choice of words, I know. I’d intended to edit it, but was unable to. My hope was to find another Italian soap in a similar price range (my main soap I use every 1-2 days is Vitos btw, so nothing too $$$ and I also enjoy Cella).

I have a tub of the Proraso red but I don’t particularly care for it, therefore ruled out the green. The creams, however, I still enjoy if I’m in a hurry or just being lazy.

Stirling has eucalyptus and mint, but mint is not appealing to me as I’m just looking for the refreshing+menthol feeling minus additional scents.
Don't discount the Stirling Eucalyptus and Mint. It is an amazing scent and has a natural chilling effect without the menthol. I was surprised by it. You could always add the Stirling menthol frost drops to it if you want more chill. If you face lather you would add the drops to the brush once it is loaded. That way you don't affect the whole tub or have to bowl lather. You might want to order a sample to try.

Is there anything similar to the Proraso green soap but higher quality? I found a TFS soap that appears to fit the bill but it looks like it’s unavailable.

I did see people recommending getting eucalyptus oil and adding it, but I’ve started face lathering recently and I would prefer to avoid having to add it to a whole tub of soap or the inconvenience of reintroducing a bowl (tub loading then moving to a bowl and adding the oil).
I was where you are about 7-8yrs ago but my reason for dropping Proraso Green was because of what the soap was doing to my sink, drains, and equipment. The film that soap leaves behind is really bad and doesn't take long to build up!! When I was looking most of the suggestions revolved around Stirling and I've used several tubs of Stirling in the last 7-8yrs because of the suggestions.

My suggestion to you would be to get a sample puck of Frozen Tundra and also the Eucalyptus and Mint and give them a try. Each sample is on average of 30+ shaves each and is a great way to try a soap without breaking the bank. I've been through a few samples and a tub of Frozen Tundra which is my favorite Stirling scent but have never tried the E&M though.

Good luck on your search.

Higher quality? Don't let the price fool you, Proraso is high quality soap, it would not have lasted so long if it were not. I suspect you are looking for something more expensive 👍
You took the words right out of my mouth. I think Proraso is terrific soap, even if it isn't an artisan offering. My tub is getting low and I'll order another one in a heartbeat with no reservations.

I was where you are about 7-8yrs ago but my reason for dropping Proraso Green was because of what the soap was doing to my sink, drains, and equipment. The film that soap leaves behind is really bad and doesn't take long to build up!! When I was looking most of the suggestions revolved around Stirling and I've used several tubs of Stirling in the last 7-8yrs because of the suggestions.

I had a sample of green proraso when I first started wet shaving that I threw in drawer and forgot about. At first whiff I wasn’t sure if I would like it. Later I had read several positive reviews and comments about how good it was. It was mid summer when I decided to give it my first try and I loved it. The herbal smell of the eucalyptus, refreshing, and the cooling effect of the menthol, that seemed to increase with each pass. The sample was of the cream but had dried up a good bit in its little container. Must’ve forgot to lock down the lid. Yes you could say it’s performance was good and it was older formula right before they reformulated to the “super formula “, which doesn’t have the residues that leaves a dry powdery residue on everything it touches. I was turned off by this residue. But upon further research I’ve since ordered a tub of the “super formula” which doesn’t have the problem of the older version of the residue. Also ordered a tube that was on sale for $5 through Amazon bcbc box was dented pretty bad but everything inside tube was fine minus a few minor dents. Tube didn’t say “super formula “ on box or tube. Doesn’t seem to leave residue behind either but I primarily use it just for that super Uber lather when I combine it with harder tub soap and bowl lather. Works great.

If you can handle some citronella, wait for the summer release of Stirling's Glacial Electric Sheep. To me this is a fantastic soap.

Scent Description

This is the soap of android dreams. The wonderfully slick and comfortable shave of our Scots Pine Sheep Soap has a cousin. Lemon, citronella, and eucalyptus essential oils blend well with the mutton tallow to provide an invigorating and supremely clean scent with this soap.

WARNING: This soap is a blend of lemon, citronella, and eucalyptus essential oils. It is not for the faint of heart. If you've never tried it, please buy a sample first.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Off the beaten path I'd recommend Taconic Shave Co.'s Eucalyptus Mint. It is glycerin based, the scent is spot on and it checks off all the boxes for me

The alternative to classic Proraso verde is Omega's eucalyptus oil shaving cream.

omegashavingcream.png

Omega shaving cream 3.jpg

Very fresh,pleasant and ideal from spring-summer.
Omegashaving.png

I do not know if it is readily available in the U.S. In Italy it costs more than the classic mentholated Proraso.

The tobacco note is more green/light, you mostly get eucalyptus/menthol. It's such a great soap, doesn't get much slicker than SMN.. The scent on SMDF is great too (I think they use SMN fragrance oil) but the soap base is average at best for me.

Top Bottom