What's new

Blackland adjustable?

Yes, I am one of those people who considers the Blackbird the best modern razor available.
So my solution to an adjustable Blackland razor was to just add the Blackbird lite to my other Blackbird standard TI razor.
Having two complete razors ticks the adjustable razor box for me.

You’ve Cracked the Code!!!

I…..I…. I’m speechless…..

:shaving:
C019389C-2DF4-4D66-9455-B82C1E06D5F7.gif

I’ve had a couple of shaves with the Osprey this week with a KAI blade installed for 2 of them. Very nice blade feel that actually allows me to dial it up or down depending on how much of that feel I’m looking for. In general, it allows me to bring it down a 1/2 to full gap setting as it is a slightly wider blade edge to edge. I still do like the Gillette Minora in the Osprey as it just feels comfortably smoother with the Feather perhaps just ahead of the KAI in overall effectiveness. Still, if one wants a bit more feel and potential cutting ability the KAI is a very good viable option in the Osprey.

Great shaves to all…

87BE98F6-02DA-4C98-A560-67F737504FF6.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I’ve had a couple of shaves with the Osprey this week with a KAI blade installed for 2 of them. Very nice blade feel that actually allows me to dial it up or down depending on how much of that feel I’m looking for. In general, it allows me to bring it down a 1/2 to full gap setting as it is a slightly wider blade edge to edge. I still do like the Gillette Minora in the Osprey as it just feels comfortably smoother with the Feather perhaps just ahead of the KAI in overall effectiveness. Still, if one wants a bit more feel and potential cutting ability the KAI is a very good viable option in the Osprey.

Great shaves to all…

View attachment 1764432

Oh how sweet it is, to be shaved by Osprey. Early in the morning 🌄 sun be rising, what a great time to be shaving. Nice selection 😊

Wow I just watched that video with Matt from Razor Emporium reviewing the Osprey... Aside from his comments about drag, he's absolutely right. I've never shaved with the Osprey, but...

Until you get used to using it, the Ambassador drags like crazy too. But once you get used to it, it's a fantastic razor. And that goes for pretty much everything else too. It takes a few shaves to find the right angle and pressure that works really well with any razor, and I see no reason why the Osprey would be any different. He SHOULD have used the Osprey a few times before recording that video, the 1st shave with anything isn't nearly as good as the 4th or 5th and so on. That's probably on purpose because he sells a competing product, but who knows. Otherwise, he's right about the tool marks, the adjustment mechanism, Gillette's adjustment mechanism, and pretty much everything else. It's an innovative razor, but it's obviously still not finished. It's still in beta, but somehow already for sale.

I think it was pretty disrespectful and overly dramatic to finish the shave with a Fatboy. He came to review the Osprey and he couldn't even do that, what a jerk. At least he didn't physically knock it over like he did the Flexi, but he did beat it down pretty badly in other ways. I can't say that I disagree with some of the things he said, but I wish he would behave with a little more class.

First shave of ‘24 with the Osprey and decided to try out a brand new blade as well for me that is, the German made Schick de blade. And I’ll be quite honest, the Schick blade was actually a very nice performer in that it was both smooth & sharp in the Osprey. WTG, ATG & XTG the Osprey and Schick combination never faltered during any phase of the shave. Granted that the Osprey delivers world class clamping that in turn gives plenty of rigidity and stability to any blade but, for a new blade that I’ve never experienced before, it works and had an excellent first outing. The Osprey just continues to prove its cutting pedigree from the house of Blackland. Started on setting #6 and finished somewhere between setting #4 & #5 for a top notch BBS finish. Probably my best shave to date with the Osprey and that’s only a good thing. Means that the shaves will only get better. I like that.

Great shaves to all…

47412D13-774D-4F3F-8957-56055F9B6E97.jpeg

A90DCB07-A726-4A61-8038-3FEB4F5C8C4C.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to put ye Gents on the know, it looks like Shane @Blackland Razors is going to make a Titanium version of the Osprey available as perhaps as early as next month. He stated this on another forum and I hope it does become available next month.

It’s the only razor that I think will benefit from this alloy bringing a bit lighter weight and Titanium’s propensity to feel warmer & smoother on the skin. It’s on…. :001_tt1:

Looking for somebody in US who would be so friendly and send me Osprey Ti (when available) as used (can use it for some days if interested) item without box otherwise I have to pay for import to EU like 30% more..

Looking for somebody in US who would be so friendly and send me Osprey Ti (when available) as used (can use it for some days if interested) item without box otherwise I have to pay for import to EU like 30% more..
I found somebody, thank you in advance

I’m gearing up for the Ti in the very near future but, in the meantime, the SS Osprey is more than capable of giving superb shaves. Tonight was no different from any other shave that a quality tool can and should bring. Sensational shave. Nuff said.

Great shaves to all….

59612C36-DC10-431B-892B-8DAA4337A483.jpeg

Last edited:
Damn. The Osprey has been my RAD-killer. I did not think that was possible. I have (I believe) all of the modern adjustables, save the Taiga slant, and the Osprey is extremely efficient, while remaining extremely carefree, at a wider range of settings than anything else.

3 is as low as I can tolerate, lower leaves faint stubble. 3.5-6.5 is fantastic, tuneable to growth and desire for feedback. I took like the Kai in it, but for me, that brings it more in line with everything else, save the Muramasa.

If you've been holding out, it is very, very, good. I can see why some folks in the production community would feel threatened.

I can't believe all of you even managed to complete your shaves with the Osprey... 😲

... whereas Mocking Matt just couldn't...

I'll summarise the video for you with my own words: selling the Osprey obviously has decreased the market shares of the two Rex adjustable razors significantly... 😉🤣
So, what did he do wrong?
Was he using the razor incorrectly?
It was to my eyes not cutting well.

Was he faking the irritation he got?

I took like the Kai in it, but for me, that brings it more in line with everything else, save the Muramasa.
Hi, may I ask at which setting do you like Muramasa? I found also best for Muramasa are Kai blades. But preferd settings are very different for people here.. thank you

I am a big Blackland fan. I just want to figure out if this type of razor is for me. I really like the design, and i think the drag Matt is referring to is to some degree user error.
I had the same experience with my Tatara Nodaci, which also has a rigid blade clamping. After i got used to it, and learned how to use it my opinion changed.
Have anyone used the Tatara Nodaci razor and the Osprey?

... i think the drag Matt is referring to is to some degree user error.

This phenomenon is also known as "Stiction" and in my experience with the Henson Ti +++
I found it to be a feature and not a bug.

With the Blackbird OG, for instance, I did not experience any drag but it stands to reason that a polished
Blackbird will meet less resistance from skin and glide smoother (hence no/less drag).

This phenomenon is also known as "Stiction" and in my experience with the Henson Ti +++

With the Blackbird OG, for instance, I did not experience any drag but it stands to reason that a polished
Blackbird will meet less resistance from skin and glide smoother (hence no/less drag).
In my opinion this is caused by the angle of attack of the blade, which is a geometry driven variable. I have an unpolished Blackbird TI, i am experiencing no drag. I also have the Henson +++ and all the Tatara razors. The drag starts to pick up with larger blade caps and blade exposure with my Tatara Nodach/Masamune.
The Muramasa adjustable has the same top cap finish. However, the blade is curved slightly more, and the blade clamping is also relaxed a little. The result is no drag.
It has nothing to do with suction. You can get suction even with a plated and polished razor.
If you are cutting the wiskers at a steep angle due to the geometry of the top cap and guard, the majority of the drag will come from the blade.
This does not need to be a negative feature.

I am a big Blackland fan. I just want to figure out if this type of razor is for me. I really like the design, and i think the drag Matt is referring to is to some degree user error.
I had the same experience with my Tatara Nodaci, which also has a rigid blade clamping. After i got used to it, and learned how to use it my opinion changed.
Have anyone used the Tatara Nodaci razor and the Osprey?

In my opinion this is caused by the angle of attack of the blade, which is a geometry driven variable. I have an unpolished Blackbird TI, i am experiencing no drag. I also have the Henson +++ and all the Tatara razors. The drag starts to pick up with larger blade caps and blade exposure with my Tatara Nodach/Masamune.
The Muramasa adjustable has the same top cap finish. However, the blade is curved slightly more, and the blade clamping is also relaxed a little. The result is no drag.
It has nothing to do with suction. You can get suction even with a plated and polished razor.
If you are cutting the wiskers at a steep angle due to the geometry of the top cap and guard, the majority of the drag will come from the blade.
This does not need to be a negative feature.

I have not experienced this phenomenon categorized as "stiction" or "suction" with any of my Blackland razors, least with the Osprey. A good & well hydrated lather for me has always prevented the dreaded "drag" mystery of safety razor wet shaving.

This might have to be a case for the X-Files involving Mulder & Scully as this unknown is beyond my scope of experience or comprehension....

the-x-files-mulder-and-scully.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom