What's new

On Expensive Razors . . .

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Great points. It’s a different kind of inflation, separate from the rising cost of production. It’s the rising of expectations.

Your cat will prove this to be true if one day you give it better quality food - what may seem to your cat a luxury that day will have become a basic necessity of life by the next day. The cat will refuse to eat the food it previously enjoyed. It will go on hunger strike and give you accusing looks until your will falters and you give it the good stuff again. We are the same and it means the cost of living rises in line with the amount of money we have to spend. Actually we’re inferior to the cat because (a) we don’t even need better things, we will be equally happy with more expensive branding since humans believe in stories more than tangible reality, and (b) we have to work more to buy the more expensive things whereas the cat doesn’t pay for anything.

It is theoretically possible to remove ourselves from this trap, though almost nobody does. It would be rational but I suppose we would also think of it as deviant - willfully adopting a lower social class than our peers in order to have more freedom. I don’t know why we seem to value material things and fitting-in more than we value our time and freedom. It seems like we shouldn’t, but we almost always do.
I seem to have champagne taste with beer income. As a result, I’ve saved up the needed cash to buy the things my wife and I enjoy. I realize I’m generalizing, but quality things usually stand the test of time. Our home is modest but filled with unique, lovely things we’ve collected over the years. We had a backyard garden put in several years ago now and we continue to enjoy it.

I approached shaving like my other hobbies: a few nice razors and brushes and the accompanying shaving accessories. I can understand the appeal of Vintage razors, though I seem to gravitate toward the modern CNC, various metals razors. There is enough variety out there to satisfy all of us .

14 left in stock by my calculations.

At $1400 usd, not including FedEx import and duty fees, I am safe from temptation. I'm guessing it would come in @ $2500 Canadian. I'd rather use that for a $60 RazorRock and buy a $2440 watch that I could enjoy on my wrist for 16hrs a day.

I'll give them credit. It's a slick website and the "return" policy on it makes it seem like you can use it for up to a month and return if you choose.
Aah, you're a bit off...$1400 USD = $1882 CDN. Then I don't know what the import fees, taxes etc would come to so you might be closer than I thought.

brucered

System Generated
Aah, you're a bit off...$1400 USD = $1882 CDN. Then I don't know what the import fees, taxes etc would come to so you might be closer than I thought.
Canada Border would charge PST, GST, Duty ($363 on $1880) FedEx would add their processing fees, surcharges and paperwork fees.

I'm not about to test the waters with it. I'm happy with my RazorRock Mamba. $50 for the razor, 4-5 handles at $10 each, I'm still under $100. I see no way of improving its function, looks or material. I'm safe.

The most expensive razor in my collection is a Hybrid Tech. The most expensive in production is a Wolfman. It would have to be something unique to get me shell out money

Up front fact, I have only read the first page of comments. That said, my opinion is that if it is in one’s budget, it is a reasonable purchase. My goal is to be debt free. I was for a while, but took out a home equity loan to have two bathrooms remodeled. That will be paid off in 2 - 3 years. Therefore high end razors are low on my priority list, but nothing wrong with others enjoying a quality product. I have been gifted a few and will admit that I really enjoy them, more than I expected. They don’t shave better than my Fatboy did, which has been passed along to someone else, but the quality makes them a pleasure to use.

Some expensive razors work very good for me and I'm happy to pay for quality and premium finish.

But I have to say, Dovo Primo is only like 40 and shaves same or better mild and efficient as some of my 10 times more expensive razors.

I like to have both options and enjoy our hobby. For me the value or how do I enjoy something (razor in this case) is not about price..

Expensive is funny term to some gentleman in 3 World Country who makes 11 Bucks in a
Day in Cigar industry, a Wolfman anything is like 3-4 month wages. To someone like a Walton Child the same Wolfram is chump change.

Never shaved with razor over $50.00 value, so I can not say pricy razors shaver better, worst, but some are beautiful functional art. Being Artsy, but doing a job also.

Expensive is funny term to some gentleman in 3 World Country who makes 11 Bucks in a
Day in Cigar industry, a Wolfman anything is like 3-4 month wages. To someone like a Walton Child the same Wolfram is chump change.

Never shaved with razor over $50.00 value, so I can not say pricy razors shaver better, worst, but some are beautiful functional art. Being Artsy, but doing a job also.
I have a new Pearl Flexi on my counter -- the most expensive razor I own. It's brass (not stainless steel, not Zamak), finished in matte chrome. It reminds me somewhat of my old 6" vernier caliper, similarly matte -- just a tool, but a really nice one.

There's a very similar adjustable by another maker, at about triple the price -- _it's_ finished in high-polished chrome. That might have gone beyond "tool" into "art" or "jewel" -- but (for now) it's in my "too expensive" category.

. . . I wouldn't try to impose my decision criteria, or boundaries, on anyone else.

. Charles

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a new Pearl Flexi on my counter -- the most expensive razor I own. It's brass (not stainless steel, not Zamak), finished in matte chrome. It reminds me somewhat of my old 6" vernier caliper, similarly matte -- just a tool, but a really nice one.

There's a very similar adjustable by another maker, at about triple the price -- _it's_ finished in high-polished chrome. That might have gone beyond "tool" into "art" or "jewel" -- but (for now) it's in my "too expensive" category.

. . . I wouldn't try to impose my decision criteria, or boundaries, on anyone else.

. Charles
Congrats on your Pearl Flexi..... It has a sterling reputation here and from what I've read, it deserves it.

I just have the simplistic attitude of ...your money your choice...
I certainly have more razors than I need but they all get used. If they don't, they go.
I have been tradition wet shaving for 50 years. Also the apple does not fall far from the tree. My dad (97) has more razors then me. Not only razors, watches, foot gear, vechiles...
Yep, me too..
We know, family comes first. So we ensure that we budget our hobbies.
So Expensive?
Depends on your perspective and your objective.
Have fun..
Eat well..
Share..
BFX
Whats-in-Your-Wallet.jpg

. Charles
An excellent razor! Congrats

I have to admit that I was tempted on the Velocity One. Then my RAD settled down once I tried to rationalize if this razor could be better than the Lambda Ares or Athena or even the Konsul. I can't answer that. If one of the owners of the Velocity One also has a Lambda or Konsul and cares to compare and share, I would appreciate it.
Damn RAD be gone!!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just bought two $75 razors. That would be considered extravagant by some fine gentlemen here. <eg>

We’re down in St. Petersburg so I won’t see the Bayonetta until tomorrow. I ordered a Knockout razor from eBay UK that @Cal found for me. The seller normally doesn’t ship razors to the States but he modified the shipping options so I could complete the order. The guess at the moment is around Feb. 17th or so for its delivery.

Neither razor was scheduled for purchase but they’ve both been getting a lot of press here. I could say I tried to resist but that wouldn’t be truthful, now, would it? I’m hoping they both make my Top Razor List and if they do, only the Filament will be less expensive, since that is the topic of this thread. <eg> once again.

I can share my new experience with cost vs feeling if it is worth..

My last acquisition is Wolfman WR4 with Darwin handle. It is my most expensive stainless steel razor, just basic finish, with shipping and import tax I payed €440. I have to admit, long waiting time after payment was with very different feelings, like that was too much for SS, I just don't need that handle and without handle it could be 100 less.. and my first SE ever, is it worth it...?

Today was my first shave WR4 with Kai Captain Titan Mild blade and everything changed. Can't hardly remember to have such a good shave with any DE razor. Yes, it was very expensive, but WR4 is now my one of best and worth for me that money, no regrets at all. Would buy it again

Top Bottom