What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 6 | 2023

I ordered three bottles of Aftershave for Slantember. All three versions of Dapper Dan / Don Draper, the green one commonly bring the most popular. It's believed to be very much a copy of Mennen Skin Bracer.

I can't resist to put up the ads, none for the golden version, unfortunately.

Don Draper is rather known as main character from Mad Men. As Dapper Dan is owned by other owners in some countries, Don Draper has been picked as substitute name for these.

My next few bottles will be Dapper Dan.

View attachment 1717094
View attachment 1717096
Don Draper should have proofread the second ad. Don Draper Blue in the copy, Don Draper Green illustrated. :facep:

Last edited:
After closely attending several rounds of wanton destruction, I came into possesion of this @twhite slant. I treasure it. Thanks, @PLANofMAN !
IMG_5116.jpeg

Massive badger bulb on loan. I mentholated the VDH slightly above "eye-watering". Memorable, close, comfortable shave.

Face shave
Razor: Maggards slant
blade: Wilki Gillette China #2
Brush and soap: Omega (mighty midget mixed).

This was a 2+ morning shave (I usually do it in the late afternoon or night). BTW had to align the blade as it was off center.....
It felt smooth and did not notice any issues (no glasses). Aftershave had a bit of burning........now later (1hr) I felt in front of my ear: crusty.....went to the mirror and I had bled nice scab. Was a weeper on aspirin....

Attachments

• PXL_20230913_185026310.jpg
    PXL_20230913_185026310.jpg
    996.5 KB · Views: 6
Last night's shave.

Brush: A Zenith bleached boar, short lift which makes is scrubby when face lathering.

Soap: Derby which I've transferred into another soap container since it came with a broken top. I find Debby to have a neutral scent, and a good lather.

Blade: Voskhod which is a good blade for me.

Razor: I'm working of dialing in my technique on the Fatip Open Comb Slant. I'm not sure I'm there. Or this just isn't my razor. Others in my modest collection give another shaves.

Post-shave: CeraVe and some Nivea aftershave balm.

2023-09-12 20.35.25-1.jpg

Last night's shave.

Brush: Yaqi Timber Wolf (synthetic). While it's not very fancy, the loft and size of the knot work will for me.

Soap: Stirling Bergamot Lavender. A Taconic soap tin is the perfect size for a Stirling sample. The first time I used this soap, I mostly smelled citronella. Over time, I could better identify the Bergamot, but not much lavender. I find that I get a good lather with a synthetic brush.

Blade: Voskhod (again).

Razor: Still working on the Fatip Open Comb Slant. For this shave, I tried riding the cap a bit more, and the shave was somewhat smoother. One weeper.

2023-09-13 20.33.27-1.jpg

Slantember - Shave 1

1694702287825.png

Wow, I didn't realize how dirty my soap and AS containers were till I looked at this photo :) Sorry! I'll wipe them down next time lol.

Slantember has been serving as my introduction to slants and thanks to @Tanuki I have a few slants to try out this month - thank you sir! I decided to try the Razorock SuperSlant L3 first with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black blade.

I'll be honest, I was a little spooked the first time I shaved with the Superslant. It looked ready to slice my face off! I started with laughably light pressure, just gingerly drawing the strokes, and was encouraged when I didn't suddenly die. Of course, by the second pass I was shaving just like normal as in reality this razor is pretty forgiving. And comfortable, @Tanuki's modified titanium handle is a great match for this head.

It's super efficient. More efficient than the Ares or Athena I've been using. I've struggled to nail a two-pass DFS with the Ares lately, but it was effortly achieved with the SuperSlant this morning.

Wait, I thought I was done buying razors :)

That was my experience about two months ago with my first PAA Monster shave. Slants just look mean, ugly, and intimidating but in reality they are just a sheep in wolf's clothing, in the good way. My pack of regular razors are collecting dust now.
I think the conception of slants being scary is not helped by the fact that people always use the word "guillotine" when describing the cutting action.😆

:behead:

20230914_085742.jpg

FOCS
Bic Chrome Platinum
Simpson T2
Captain's Choice 45th Parallel
Captain's Choice Bay Rum balm

The Bic Chrome Platinum is a blade that teeters on being too sharp for me. Went through my stubble like butter in the FOCS, but my face felt raw after the shave even with using a balm instead of my typical splash. I'll be very gentle next time as the Bic tends to be even sharper after the first shave.

I think the conception of slants being scary is not helped by the fact that people always use the word "guillotine" when describing the cutting action.😆

:behead:
The guillotine was thought to be a more humane way to efficiently behead humans. Feedback from users was not possible so it remains a hypothesis.

[sarcasm]
I mean, we are always looking for more efficient ways to chop off our whiskers with least possible irritation to the skin, so I don't know where people get this grisly image of them for shaving.
[/sarcasm]

Top Bottom