What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 6 | 2023

Talking about: I thought I was done buying razors; I had a pleasant surprise today.
The Parker Semi Slant was a bit on sale at @maz0n yesterday so I jumped in the pool (not sure what I got was a new one.....probably a used returned w soap marks......) did clean it as I have done w vintage razors x 3.
Blade new Gillette Platinum R.
Soap Omega
Brush yaqi
2+ pass head shave, this was a great shave, smooth and very close.....no incidents.....a bit of irritation but probably the best head shave of the month......
Put some Aqua Velva then Balm......

This slant is really efficient and smooth.....

I have the dreaded Yaqi double OC slant out....., maybe not tomorrow.....need to work some courage for it....and let the skin rest (face).

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Slantember

Tonight’s shave
RazoRock Super Slant Lvl 3 on PAA el Fantasma Naranja handle
Gillette Nacet (2)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Beehive Titanium UHD 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: no
Lather: Wickham’s 1912 Club Cola, bowl-loaded/face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: warm shower
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Siren call with this razor. With every use, it looks more adorable. Shaves great, too.

IMG_4979.jpeg

Slantember 14/15 cusp

vintage Merkur 37 / Nacet (6)
Mama Bear's Haitian Vetiver
Solid Set boar (re-knot)
Floïd the Genuine

Iridian

Cool and slimy
RazoRock SuperSlant L3++ OC / BIC Platinum
RL3PPOCDDD.jpg

This just arrived. My shave will happen tonight, let's be honest, I would say little more than is already known: I very much like the SuperSlant L3, and the ++ OC the most. Mainly because it gives better and earlier warning than the excellent Wunderbar, which sometimes shaves away skin for me to only notice a while later while already shaving elsewhere.

This is the promised Dapper Dan/Don Draper aftershave collection made by ALPA. The shop Heldenlounge.de is fully owned by Mühle GmbH, the razor maker from Germany. The postal address of the shop is the very same as that of their headquarter in Saxony.

Ordering there allows one to pick bonus items. Among them rather weird stuff like shoe spanners. 😎

Edit: maybe I should have put the aftershaves out of their packaging. I will do so for the next three shaves. ✌️

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hi,

Wait. What? Dapper Dan is real and not some movie prop??

Stan
Yep, it is real.
The guy who invented it (or likely closely matched or copied some famous other aftershaves) is even named Stan Soldan. It wasn't you, if I may inquire? :)
He was/is supposedly a fan of Cary Grant and hairstylings of the 1920-1950 years and started a pomade shop. The aftershaves were apparently rather an afterthought. SCNR.
1694787232252.png

Here is an interesting fact about the Yaqi double OC Slant.
I got one in +-2019, when they first came out.....used it maybe 4 times.....thing was scary.....first ever razor I thought I was going to cut myself..... did not have any "accidents" but did not enjoy using it...... Y few years go by and I read many people like it....., I thought it probably was changed....so I got another and used it....seemed tamed....
I will use it this month and had one out (not sure which of the 2) so I got calipers out and interestingly it's the baseplate that is a bit different. New, tamed version has a wider baseplate .....the topcop is identical.....well I have no way to measure the torsion...). Then I took the blade out of the one I had ready and moved to the other (tamed).....shave later.....
Difference is +-0.5mm

Attachments

• PXL_20230915_161144371.jpg
    PXL_20230915_161144371.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
SlantembeR 15, 2023

Back in Black with Jack for Fatip Friday (TGIFF)

IMG_7623 (1).jpg

My blade today was the Gillette SharpEdge (8) and I feel like I can go yet another couple of shaves with this blade, as I feel no need to dump it yet. Every time I use Jack Black Supreme cream, I love it. It seems like I my shaves are getting better with each use of my FCCS, but my next shave will be the Filament and probably a new Nacet. I will save the SharpEdge for the next FCCS shave. Have a great weekend everyone!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a decent shave this morning with my ATT X1. I tried shaving before a shower and once again, noticed quite a difference for me. It wasn’t a terrible shave, but certainly not a 12 hour one.

So back to making sure my old man whiskers get every chance to soften up to the max before they see a razor’s edge.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I had a decent shave this morning with my ATT X1. I tried shaving before a shower and once again, noticed quite a difference for me. It wasn’t a terrible shave, but certainly not a 12 hour one.

So back to making sure my old man whiskers get every chance to soften up to the max before they see a razor’s edge.

Shortcuts occasionally work for me, but mostly don't couple well with a good shave.

Kim, I know you've got this!

What I don't know is what a 12 hour shave means. How good does a shave have to be before one should start timing how long it lasts? Mostly I just shave and hope for the best. The best is sometimes pretty good, but I never chase the baby.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Friday September 15, 2023/SLANTember 4th
Razor: PAA El Fantasma/RR UFO handle
Blade: Dorco Prime (1), shimmed under
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Peppermint Trip

Having used my Fasan earlier this month I wanted to use what I consider to be a pretty faithful homage to it. The "ElF" is, for me, too light and too mild out of the box but that's easy to fix. A nice stainless handle and a shim between blade and baseplate and this thing is a lovely little shaver. It's one of three razors already in my bailout bag in case the fires come this way. If I have time I'd grab the rest, but hopefully I'd at least have these.

Between this documented shave and the last one I had a fast electric mowing on Tuesday before an early appointment. Then Mrs. Hippie, Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund and I disappeared into the bush for a couple days. Back now and once more we have communication! Yay.

Two notes from catching up the last few days here:

@Tanuki that's a killer locking solution. I wanted to do something similar to my FOCS, but the standard tap length is still too short to go all the way through the open spigot on the handle. Getting a long tap in M4.5x 0.75 is between two and three times the cost of the razor, so for the moment the idea is ripening a bit more before I do something with it.

And @Crisp Rat that's why I always compare slants to scythes -- hand tools with a slanting cut. The problem, of course, is that while I'm one of the people who wrote the book on scythes there's a certain lack of context between me and people who don't use scythes. "Divided by a common language" for sure.

O.H.

Top Bottom