What's new

Beans on toast

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The Heinz I last ate said it was made in NZ.

Heinz bought out Wattie's in the late 90's. So are Heinz Wattie's or simply Wattie's as called here.
They make both Wattie's and some Heinz lines here. I wonder if the beans are a different recipe between the Wattie's brand and Heinz's made here. The price difference one would hope it's not just the label.
Maybe time for a taste comparison.

1693504275023.png

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Maybe not as pretty as some others but I can see this becoming a regular item at my house. I just used Bush’s baked beans because I already had them in the house. 2 runny poached eggs, some wheat toast, and a little hot sauce completed it.IMG_2300.jpeg

Edit: I forgot the Danged cheese.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Maybe not as pretty as some others but I can see this becoming a regular item at my house. I just used Bush’s baked beans because I already had them in the house. 2 runny poached eggs, some wheat toast, and a little hot sauce completed it.View attachment 1712281

Edit: I forgot the Danged cheese.

Just means you need a second take, just with cheese this time.

I normally have mine with a runny egg and Worcestershire sauce.
There's a Worcestershire Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce that I think would be just the ticket. Hey, they even have a picture of some with their sauce.

1693805863243.png

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I'm not seeing raisins on the ingredients list online but it does say apples?
I haven't tried the curried beans in around 30 years or more. They have probably removed the raisins from them. I'm not sure about the apple's though, but then again I do like sweet and savory thing. Like apple sauce with roast pork or cranberry sauce with turkey. So think about, I'd definitely give the curried beans with apple's ago.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I'm not seeing raisins on the ingredients list online but it does say apples?
Geez, those Europeans are weird. I bet they’re the ones that started putting beans in ground beef and calling it Chili. :001_tt2:

In all honesty the sweet and savory that @Dave himself mentioned sounds good. I’m going to Meijer a little later today, I’ll see if they have any.

I grew up eating Heinz beans on toast, and still have it sometimes if I need a really quick and easy lunch.

I can't print here what my father, an old army guy, used to call it.
SOS, at least the US version is much different than "beans on toast". more of an amalgamation of scrapple (not a fan) and the sausage gravy that's over biscuits down south. it was ok, but looked "recycled".

I've done Irish and British breakfasts... and not a huge fan of the beans. I'm not a fan of any canned variety these days. grew up with ranch styled beans, have used Bush's when lazy.

Red beans and rice, or a bean heavy soup... peas/beans as a major ingredient or side dish? these days I work from scratch.

beans for breakfast? migas into a taco is my speed. refried beans? I skip the lard.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I love beans on toast. Heinz vegetarian beans aren't bad. I haven't yet found a reasonably priced American can of beans that isn't full of sugar.

I told my kids it was crap on a crispy...sos was all little too much.
True dat. The only difference between a UK Heinz tin in tomato sauce and a US Heinz Vegetarian tin is that the American version is loaded with sugar.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've done Irish and British breakfasts... and not a huge fan of the beans. I'm not a fan of any canned variety these days. grew up with ranch styled beans, have used Bush's when lazy.

Red beans and rice, or a bean heavy soup... peas/beans as a major ingredient or side dish? these days I work from scratch.

beans for breakfast? migas into a taco is my speed. refried beans? I skip the lard.
A true Ulster fry doesn't have any sign of beans on the plate. Plus we have Potato and Soada bread instead of toast 😋.

Every once in a while I get a craving for the old British beans on toast. There’s two stores that stock Heinz beans locally. The price here in Northern California is crazy.View attachment 1709515

Wow, that price is mental! A bit of a premium is understandable for an import but that seems far too high, and it seems these are being directly exported from the UK by Heinz itself.

Do you ever drive up to British Columbia?

1693840412422.png
1693840578145.png

The made-in-Canada "Original" and "British Style" can be had for as low as $1.45 USD per tin (along with several other styles). Cheaper in 4-pack or 9-pack

If you're set on "the real thing", the UK imported tin is commonly available for as low as $2.18 USD.

Top Bottom