What's new

Why aren't newer razors nickel plated brass anymore

What modern razors are made of Zamac?

Edwin Jagger, Merkur, etc. Pretty much most of what you find out there in the sub $50 range.

You'll also find quite a few razors offered in the $50 range that have a stainless steel handle and a Zamac head. This is because manufacturing the stainless steel heads is the bulk of the cost when making an all stainless steel razor.

The Rockwell razors are cast stainless steel and run about $100. Most of the other all stainless steel razors run around the $185 plus mark. The fatip is a nice exception being made or brass and available at a low cost. These are the razors that'll last you a lifetime.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm sure you don't mean to suggest that modern Zamak razors are made with whatever metals the manufacturer happens to have lying around to throw in the pot. There are various numbered grades to modern industrial Zamak, each with its own defined proportion of composite metals.

BTW, Gillette started to move toward plated Zamak instead of plated brass in the 1960s for various razor parts, including the caps of its Tech razors.
True that, Zamak and pot metal are not the same. Pot metal refers to what ever composite metals that are on hand that are cooked into a soup. Zamak grades are regulated to tightly controlled specifications. Merkur is not a modern company and invented the slant. They are an old company that still manufactures razors. The Germans came up with zamak, and the manufacture of razors out of zamak became prominent during WWII as brass became a commodity needed for Germany's "war effort". There are, of course, some old Gillettes made out of zamak as well. I'm not really sure which grade zamak Merkur uses or if it has changed over the years. I've never seen any definitive proof that they have ever changed the grade of zamak they use. This is all speculation on these shaving sites without any form of definitive proof. As for zamak razors made in China I have no clue about the grade they use. That said I find the all brass Fatips superb, cost competitive, and once the plating on a zamak razor is compromised it's over (eventually). Fatips are my go to razors.

Last edited:
Wolfman, ATT, Rockwell, Blackbird, Timeless, Feather, Asylum, Charcoal . . . Did I miss any?

Paradigm, IKon, LA Shaving (made by Wolfman),

Fendrihan makes a sub-$50 stainless steel razor. I love mine.

Parkers are often advertised as plated brass, but I've never verified that and wouldn't know how to tell without removing the plating on one. Anyone have definitive info on that?

I would argue the exact opposite as many Zamak razors from years ago are still around and being used while the newer Zamac stuff tends to last about three years (of use) or one good drop, whichever comes first. Zamak is a mixture of many metals (pot metal) and the Zamak used back them was likely less of the softer metals (like Zinc) and much more of the harder one (like steel).

Today's Zamak razors are made with super cheap metals with high amounts of Zinc. Metal that will actually crumble if it gets wet. So they coat it with some type of chrome coating to protect the metal mixture from water. Once the outer layer is compromised the metal will start to degrade. The threads on the cap are a common problem area as well.

If you keep them in a drawer away from moisture and don't get the newer Zamak razors wet (use them to shave with) then they'll last for decades, however with repeated use they are essentially a disposable item.

If you don't believe me feel free to do a search on Zamak on this shaving forum. You'll read lots of stories and see lots of pics of crumbling broken razors.
It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I've read the opposite about zamak outside the shaving context. In my own experience, I bought a coffee grinder over 25 years ago and paid extra for a zinc rather than plastic housing. (Alas, the steel housing they had originally was no longer available even back then.) It has held up very well in acidic, oily and moist conditions. Obviously, keeping it clean and dry is the key. And while high grade stainless steel is probably the king of durability among common, inexpensive materials, I don't consider brass much more durable than zamak. It's soft and easily deforms, and when the plating wears off, as it inevitably does, it corrodes very easily. It needs some tlc and to be kept clean and dry. I don't think the original Gillette razors were designed or intended to last centuries, or even decades, for that matter.

... it would suck if you dropped a $50 Merkur 34C and the head shattered on it.

My son dropped his Merkur 34C in the shower yesterday and it broke where the top plate and the screw are joined. To Merkur's credit, they do supply replacement parts, and new Merkur razors are sold with a 365-day warranty.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I've read the opposite about zamak outside the shaving context. In my own experience, I bought a coffee grinder over 25 years ago and paid extra for a zinc rather than plastic housing. (Alas, the steel housing they had originally was no longer available even back then.) It has held up very well in acidic, oily and moist conditions. Obviously, keeping it clean and dry is the key. And while high grade stainless steel is probably the king of durability among common, inexpensive materials, I don't consider brass much more durable than zamak. It's soft and easily deforms, and when the plating wears off, as it inevitably does, it corrodes very easily. It needs some tlc and to be kept clean and dry. I don't think the original Gillette razors were designed or intended to last centuries, or even decades, for that matter.
I use my wife's hair dryer to blow me DE razor dry after use.

Well, I put a little synthetic grease on the threads and dry everything off after each use. Brass and even stainless steel will rust eventually if left wet.

I disagree. Brass and stainless will tarnish a bit if abused. Meaning left to sit in water for hours and never dried or wiped off. But in normal use with normal reasonable care razors made from those materials don't rust or tarnish.

I have an old 50 + year old tech that has seen heavy heavy use. It's down to bare brass in many places. It has no rust and I still use it but give it no special care other than to swipe it with a towel after use. Try that with a zamak razor. Once the plating is gone the rust sets in and no amount of care will help. There's a reason why replating services refuse to touch zamak razors.

I have a 22 cal Walther pistol with what looks like a Zamac frame. Seems to be a pretty good gun and Walther is no slouch manufacturer. Donno what to think. I don't plan on dropping it though.

The cheap Zamak razors are made with recycled barges of scrap metal. Asia buys most of our scrap so it must be a mish mosh of who knows what. Old cars had 5 digit odometers. It was miracle to turn them over. I can turn a Toyota over 3 times then sell it. Agreed new cars are made better. However nothing beats the old cars style

I disagree. Brass and stainless will tarnish a bit if abused. Meaning left to sit in water for hours and never dried or wiped off. But in normal use with normal reasonable care razors made from those materials don't rust or tarnish.

I have an old 50 + year old tech that has seen heavy heavy use. It's down to bare brass in many places. It has no rust and I still use it but give it no special care other than to swipe it with a towel after use. Try that with a zamak razor. Once the plating is gone the rust sets in and no amount of care will help. There's a reason why replating services refuse to touch zamak razors.
Well, as someone mentioned above, replating may be fun and make perfect sense for the serious collectors and hobbyists here, especially for the many rare and beautiful examples posted in numerous photos here, but for most spending the money to replate or repair a razor is ridiculous.

Fine, but other than serious razor hobbyists and collectors, who is having their brass replated? In the early 20th century, when many more consumer goods were made of brass, there were many replaters and refinishers around, but those businesses are much less common today. That's because there are now more practical alternatives to brass for most of those items. Of course, no argument from me on your basic point. But most people aren't returning to brass razors or other consumer goods, and there's a good reason for that. it isn't durable enough, given its cost, including the cost of replating or repair, to compete with items made of plastic, nylon, teflon, polycarbonate, pvc, latex, and other modern materials, which are either extremely durable, extremely cheap and easy to repair, or so cheap to make they can be treated as disposable. And btw, did you know that even though today's US penny is 97.5 percent zinc, its metal value is still far more than one cent? So even zamak's day as a major component in cheap consumer goods is likely nearing the end.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Fendrihan makes a sub-$50 stainless steel razor. I love mine.
Parkers are often advertised as plated brass, but I've never verified that and wouldn't know how to tell without removing the plating on one. Anyone have definitive info on that?
Only Parker tto's are brass. Someone here on B&B drilled into his. He posted pictures. They are indeed brass. Parker three piece razors have zamak heads. My Fatips are all beautiful thick 3 piece brass razors. :001_smile
downloadfile.jpg

Last edited:
Well, as someone mentioned above, replating may be fun and make perfect sense for the serious collectors and hobbyists here, especially for the many rare and beautiful examples posted in numerous photos here, but for most spending the money to replate or repair a razor is ridiculous.

Fine, but other than serious razor hobbyists and collectors, who is having their brass replated? In the early 20th century, when many more consumer goods were made of brass, there were many replaters and refinishers around, but those businesses are much less common today. That's because there are now more practical alternatives to brass for most of those items. Of course, no argument from me on your basic point. But most people aren't returning to brass razors or other consumer goods, and there's a good reason for that. it isn't durable enough, given its cost, including the cost of replating or repair, to compete with items made of plastic, nylon, teflon, polycarbonate, pvc, latex, and other modern materials, which are either extremely durable, extremely cheap and easy to repair, or so cheap to make they can be treated as disposable. And btw, did you know that even though today's US penny is 97.5 percent zinc, its metal value is still far more than one cent? So even zamak's day as a major component in cheap consumer goods is likely nearing the end.

???? My only point was to refute your statement that brass and stainless rust. They really don't with reasonable care. Yes brass and stainless are more costly to make razors than other materials. But they do last a lifetime or more with reasonable care. Other materials including zamak just don't. Are stainless and brass razors worth the added cost? For some people they are and others they aren't.

My son dropped his Merkur 34C in the shower yesterday and it broke where the top plate and the screw are joined. To Merkur's credit, they do supply replacement parts, and new Merkur razors are sold with a 365-day warranty.

Exact same thing happened recently to my Merkur 38c Barber pole...

I'm not sure that dropping any razor does it much good. I have a few milled stainless razors that I'd hate to see hit the floor :sad:

???? My only point was to refute your statement that brass and stainless rust. They really don't with reasonable care. Yes brass and stainless are more costly to make razors than other materials. But they do last a lifetime or more with reasonable care. Other materials including zamak just don't. Are stainless and brass razors worth the added cost? For some people they are and others they aren't.
OK, no hard feelings I hope. We're probably different ages. I go back to when everyone had leather briefcases, overnight bags, etc. with brass hardware. So I'm very familiar with the durability of brass, and the limits thereof. Some people, including me, still like the luxurious look and feel of leather and brass, both of which are long lasting enough if you take good care of them. And of course, I shave every day with a brass razor from the 1920s. But if you look around an airport today, you don't see much leather or brass. That's because, unless you're an enthusiast with good taste (like you and me and everyone else here), those materials aren't durable (or light or weatherproof) enough given their cost by modern standards. Hey, I also have a cool antique brass travel alarm clock from Switzerland in its original leather case. (OK, I don't actually travel with it.) And even though brass may last longer than zamak under certain conditions, I think we need to admit that we have these things because we like them, not for their durability.

Top Bottom