What's new

Which cartridge razor/disposable razor did you use today and how many shaves?

Dollar Shave Club
DSC 4 Blade Cartridge
Dollar Shave Club chrome handle.jpeg

Inspired by recent discussions I decided to take the Mach 3 out with a new cart. I think if I learned anything from this shave, it is that the lather I usually make for DE and open blades is far too dense for cartridges - they just sit on top of it.

I stopped keeping track of passes and just tried to get a clean shave in different parts of my face by any means necessary. Immediately after the shave I was impressed by the result. There are still a few rough patches, but overall it is a very close shave, especially around the chin.

There were some areas where I did struggle to pick off the hair, and probably made too many passes with too much pressure in order to get the job done. I now feel a bit sore. Hopefully I haven't over-shaved them too much. Ingrowns used to be the bane of my life with cartridges, so the next 24 hrs will be telling!

Still, I feel with a bit of practice, I might actually be able to get comfortable shaves from this thing. The main thing is to try and make sure all strokes are efficient, without having to push the razor down. It seems odd that I can do this with a DE, but not a cartridge with a pivoting head, but it goes to show the importance of familiarity with your tools!

20240625_182353.jpg

So I did some work outside this morning and wanted to get in a quick socially acceptable shave. Today's razor was the Schick Hydro 5. I can definitely say that my improved DE razor technique improved my shave with this cartridge. I think I've used this particular cartridge about 5 times so far. I face lathered with some vintage Colgate barber shave soap, and the shave result was quite good, actually. It's still a challenge, though, to keep the stubble from clogging in between the blades. The good thing about these cartridges is I can shave really fast and still get a decent outcome. We'll see if I get any ingrown hairs...

Wilkinson Sword Pronto, 6th shave. I just can't believe it. I'm going on a wedding tomorrow night and I believe this razor will give a good 2 pass shave.

Top Bottom