What's new

Where to get AC Blades in the UK?

I’m thinking about getting a Blackland Vector but AC blades seem rather expensive in the uk. Here is an example of what I’ve found Feather Artist Club Professional Razor Blades PB-20 - https://www.connaughtshaving.com/feapb20.html

I’m used to buying regularly blades which are pretty cheap. I realise I should get more use from an AC but the last time I bought a 100 pack of my favourite blades it was a £10 where as these ones are £60 for a hundred.
where are people getting ac blades?

Thanks

Razor Blade Club has a pack of 20 for £12.13. I mostly get my razors from them and have had no issues with shipping to UK. My last order had 50DE blades and 30 AC blades and I paid £2.89 in shipping just to give you an idea. Hope this helps!

Thanks DrakeMegrim. I suspect I am just being very mean. Connaught do 100 GEM blades for £18 plus delivery and I can get 100 Bic Chrome blades for about £14 but yet 100 Feather AC blades are £60 plus delivery. I am just having a tough time justifying the purchase!

AC blades do tend to last longer for most people, but if economy is your priority it might not be the blade format for you.

A lot depends on your personal routine and how long you are prepared to push a blade for before changing it. Some folks will push an AC for 20+ shaves, but some only like to use them for 3 or 4. If you are the first sort of person the cost per blade becomes almost immaterial. If you are the second then it might be more of a consideration.

You can always get a sample from RBC to try different blades before investing in bulk, to make sure you actually get something you like.

Thanks Goblin for your response. It was very helpful. I've never used an AC Razor before that's making this one difficult for me. I typically get 2 or 3 shaves out of a Bic Chrome blade and given how cheap they are, I've got no problem starting the next one.

If AC did work for 20 shaves it would be absolutely fine but if I only got 3 or 4 out of shave, it would get costly quickly.

Thanks

I’m thinking about getting a Blackland Vector but AC blades seem rather expensive in the uk. Here is an example of what I’ve found Feather Artist Club Professional Razor Blades PB-20 - https://www.connaughtshaving.com/feapb20.html

I’m used to buying regularly blades which are pretty cheap. I realise I should get more use from an AC but the last time I bought a 100 pack of my favourite blades it was a £10 where as these ones are £60 for a hundred.
where are people getting ac blades?

Thanks

You could try the Yaqi AC razor and a selection of blades from RBC? If you can get a good number of shaves from them, maybe then go for the Blackland Vector and the 100 pack of blades from Connaughts?

AC blades will always be more expensive than their DE counterparts, and there will be a smaller choice of them too.

If AC did work for 20 shaves it would be absolutely fine but if I only got 3 or 4 out of shave, it would get costly quickly.

I never used a BIC Chrome Platinum (I have a tuck somewhere...I need to find it) but I am pretty fussy about blades. I usually use either Feathers or Permasharps for one or two shaves.

I find an AC blade usually goes for somewhere between 3 and 6 shaves. I could probably run them longer, but I have some difficult areas around my jaw that get irritated if I try to clean them with a blade that is anything less than properly sharp. In fact, we were discussing yesterday in the Shavette & Barber Razor thread that AC blades don't seem that sharp overall, despite their reputation.

I think @zoidberg has a good plan. Get an Exacalibur from Yaqi for £10 (or whatever it costs now) and some AC blade samples from RBC, then you can see how you go. The Vector isn't a cheap razor, especially when you have to pay UK shipping and import taxes on top, so it makes sense to be absolutely sure for format is going to work for you.

Top Bottom