What's new

When do shave soaps expire?

I've looked around Google the last half hour and I get variant answers. Shave creams like tubed Proraso seem to make it a couple years. Sounds legit to me.

Many people say that milled soaps seem to last decades. Apparently people have used soaps 80 years old without issue. Some old guys say they have soap they've owned for 40 years and it's fine. What do you think?

What I can't seem to get a consensus on are softer soaps like Razorock, Proraso in a tub, chiseled face, Vitos and etc. Some people claim they go bad fairly quickly, but this seems to possibly be because they leave them wet. Your thoughts?

By expire I mean are useless for some reason. Molding, rancid etc. I'm not talking about losing their scent or oxidation that causes a browning, nor drying out. That doesn't prevent use.

Why I ask primarily is because I'm contemplating buying three or four blocks of Vitos Cocco kilos soon, along with other soaps. I figure I'll be set for 12 years or so which sounds good to me.

IMO shave soaps do not expire. You may have to bloom in old soap for awhile, but it should work just fine.

Agree. Store the soap in a cool, low humidity place in a Ziploc bag to retain natural moisture. When ready to use, hydrate as needed and enjoy.

IMO shave soaps do not expire. You may have to bloom in old soap for awhile, but it should work just fine.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'd say pretty much never. I have Cella in a shave stick. It's at least 5 years old and still works like the day I got it, still has its scent, hasn't even yellowed.

Soaps do not expire.

The "Expiration" or "Best By" dates that you see on the bottom of the package are there to encourage you to buy more soap sooner than you have to. Or it might be required by OSHA, FDA or other government agency regulations.

But those dates are meaningless. You can safely use a soap that is far beyond its supposed mortality date, and find that it performs just as well as when it was brand new.

Soaps do dry out, however. Just soak the puck underwater for a few hours or overnight, pour off the excess water, and you'll be good to go.

All the soaps I've used expired when the container went empty.

+1 That is correct.

I have a green Proraso soap in a tub, and it is still a great soap after a couple of years.

I let the puck dry after use (until lunch time). Never had an issue with soaps (or creams) going bad.

No expiration as far as I know. Lots of people buy vintage soap and like it. I overdid it with soap a while back, but between using it up and a PIF, I'm at a reasonable number now. It IS tempting, though!

Age takes a back seat to storage conditions...
I've used soaps from the 20s/30s and it was great. I have a 1940s stick and it's awesome. I have a boatload of Williams from the 50s and it's phenomenal.
I had a barber's roll of Colgate from the (I think) the 30s and it was too dried out to resucitate.

My rule of thumb is that if it doesn't have fuzzy green mold growing out of it, or smell like an armpit, it is good to go.

That said, please be sure you want that one soap in your life forever. What a commitment, holy cow. All I know is that I could never ever tie myself to one soap for that long, as long as I had a choice.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

I've looked around Google the last half hour and I get variant answers. Shave creams like tubed Proraso seem to make it a couple years. Sounds legit to me.

Many people say that milled soaps seem to last decades. Apparently people have used soaps 80 years old without issue. Some old guys say they have soap they've owned for 40 years and it's fine. What do you think?

What I can't seem to get a consensus on are softer soaps like Razorock, Proraso in a tub, chiseled face, Vitos and etc. Some people claim they go bad fairly quickly, but this seems to possibly be because they leave them wet. Your thoughts?

By expire I mean are useless for some reason. Molding, rancid etc. I'm not talking about losing their scent or oxidation that causes a browning, nor drying out. That doesn't prevent use.

Why I ask primarily is because I'm contemplating buying three or four blocks of Vitos Cocco kilos soon, along with other soaps. I figure I'll be set for 12 years or so which sounds good to me.

I've been using traditional soaps and creams (no canned goo or gel) for six years and nothing has ever gone bad. And I have soaps from that first year still going strong. I live in a warm, humid area. I keep them covered or capped (not hermetically sealed) to preserve the scent.

Not to say they can't go bad, but it has not happened to me.

I have a decent 3017 stock of various soaps here and I have to say, I expect most of them not to turn - the harder the soap though, the better I expect it will keep.

Croaps with a coconut oil base is also a good bet for longevity. Coconut Oil is pretty stable.

I tend to try and keep grinding away at a rotation of soaps as quickly as I can once I've used them once though and try to keep to a few at once rather than a huge rotation cycle. I also make sure I try and dry soaps as much s I can after use to limit moisture creating issues with continued saponification to a gooey mess and possible mould ingress.

I just bought 6 pucks of Williams Mug Soap manufactured at some point prior to 1960, and its not the first time I have bought & used soap that old

. $williams.jpg

Top Bottom