What's new

What is it about Wet Shaving?

I started looking into DEs because I hated how my multi-blade cartridge razors clog and the relatively high per-cartridge prices. The DE razor designs were also appealing. I found out that there is a bit of a learning curve when shaving with DE razors, but shaving with them is more satisfying. I also noticed far less "acne," but I discovered that this was really ingrown hairs. I still get an occasional ingrown hair, but nowhere near as many as I used to get when I shaved with multi-blade cartridge razors. Also: no more clogging! I hate, loath, and detest the clogging of multi-blade cartridges.

For me , it’s the satisfaction of getting a great shave for minimal cost , using a razor that has been around a long time , sometimes you know who used it , like in my case , by my Godfather for my main razor . Many of my razors are older than I am , I often wonder who used them and wonder if the previous owner is still around .. using a pleasant scented soap is also very enjoyable.
Me too... then RAD, BAD, and SAD occurred, but that added yet another dimension to the experience.

For me it also has this sensory aspect to it. The way the soap feels as you massage it in, add more water to make the lather slicker. Plus so many nice choices of perfumes that soaps/cream offer.

A big step up from the canned stuff.

Then the way a DE or straight razor cuts cleanly as opposed to a cartridge razor that scrapes and leaves lather behind never sure that it shaved or not.

Did start with Mach 3, but always got bumps at my neck area. Wet shaving with a DE started as an alternative to a problem but turned out into a hobby that I look forward to every day.

I grew up watching my Dad shave with his Gillette Executive and lathering up with a shave soap and brush. I tend to live in the past in many aspects of my life, so old school wet shaving is a good fit for me. Plus the ritual as others have mentioned is important. It is a few moments every.morning to center myself, focus on the scents and feeling of a close shave. Then I am ready to face a crazy world.

A new DE shaver here:

I like to carve wood by hand, when the balky elbow allows. Hand tools only [don't mind the bandsaw lurking over there...].

I cut my own hair, but with power tools. Wahl balding clippers and foil shavers. I like to change my beard style. More power tools.

Despite the limited stubble that I shave because beard, I felt the Gillette Atra with not-so-great cartridges needed an upgrade.

So I bought a Super Speed and the process is more hand toolsy and involved. Plus vetiver. I needed more vetiver in my life and soaps, creams, and aftershaves seemed like a smart way to do that.

Top Bottom