What's new

What ever happened to....?

Please ID these 17 soaps and tell me what happened to the company. I dug these out from the back. I did enjoy Greek Peach, Russian Tea, Earl Grey & Ginger, Tiki Land Locked, Black Ice, Cold River Soap Works, and I recently opened the sealed Krampus with splash! I think they been hiding six years! Please list here with pictures any soaps you have where the company went out of business.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I'm curious how did they perform after being left in storage for years? I went on a soap spending free and realise I have to deep store some as I got too many and now I'm worried about degradation.

@Paulastoria , You should be able to search for the various manufacturers names here for additional information. See that you have what looks like a really old Tcheon Fung Sung (TFS) soap from Torino Italy. Curious as to how old it is and if it's a typical soft Italian soap? Also how has the soap held up performance wise over the years?

TFS is still going strong with a nice range of soaps starting with the well regarded Ciotola Rosa (Red Bowl) at the basic end of the spectrum and going on from there. They manufacturer Italian Barbers Razorock soft Italian soaps that are also well regarded here. Interestingly most of those are built on the relatively simple Red Bowl base. The threads linked below include posts that provide additional detail on various TFS shaving soaps.

Can Great Lather be Generated from Any Reasonable Quality Shaving Soap or Cream? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/can-great-lather-be-generated-from-any-reasonable-quality-shaving-soap-or-cream.653913/#post-12723691

P.S. Have seen your other recent posts, most about shaving soaps. Looks like you have an extensive collection. How many shaving soaps do you own? What are your favorites?

Last edited:
Mickey Lee Soapworks and Cold River went out of business/stopped producing several years ago. A real shame, as both were excellent. I was a big fan of MLSW "The Kraken" and have a small amount left.

Reef Point Soaps went out of business a few years ago.

Krampus was made by Dr. Jon's and they too went out of business. Sadly they made Savannah Sunrise, one of my favorite scents/soaps. Man I miss that soap.

The Stroppe Shop also went of business years ago, I've also got a puck of Russian Tea that I'm using sparingly. BTW they gave the recipe for Baker Street to Stirling Soaps and Rod makes a great version of it.

Krampert's Frostbite I haven't seen in years, pretty sure the went under too.

Reef Point Soaps went out of business a few years ago.

Krampus was made by Dr. Jon's and they too went out of business. Sadly they made Savannah Sunrise, one of my favorite scents/soaps. Man I miss that soap.

The Stroppe Shop also went of business years ago, I've also got a puck of Russian Tea that I'm using sparingly. BTW they gave the recipe for Baker Street to Stirling Soaps and Rod makes a great version of it.

Krampert's Frostbite I haven't seen in years, pretty sure the went under too.
I have a zillion shaving soaps collecting dust. I am gonna do a "rip month" and use one everyday for a month with comments here. The Krampus was sealed until recently and it gave a very good shave and the splash was better!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 7
How about this Nuavia? Brand new in the box for 9 years! They still around? Cost me a small fortune.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    979.3 KB · Views: 3
Have you been reposting pics of my soap collection!? Lol

All of those seem to be discontinued. Some fantastic soaps you have here, Ballenclaugh are still to this day one of my favo rite artisans and am very lucky and fortunate to have accumulated 7 tubs of various scents. Chris had a unique way of making fragrances that are very unique similar to what Will from B&M has done over the years.

Steambath Factory was a side line of Amanda from Tiki soaps that came in huge tubs with cool art and strange scents. Have her "Bloodbath" soap that has notes of Pumpkin and Dust....similar to what Southern Witchcrafts does with weird scent notes.

Tim's soaps- another lost gem. With scents like Greek Peach, Creekside, Ruby Red and Breakfast Of Champions, he also had a few interesting offerings as well as some that were more traditional. He did LE soaps for Facebook groups and was a well liked member of the community.

APR- crazy scent combos here as well. Much like Tallow & Steel some worked out and others did not but believe they outsourced their scenting to a perfumer at least at the beginning. They got a lot of negative public backlash when a loyal customer purchased a huge order and went public with his problems (not the beat way to handle this sort of situation IMO) resulting in a lot of people selling off their gear and writing the company off.... just like another defunct company full of drama years back ;)

It's great to see others with a good stock of "older" soaps from a nearby bygone? Era. These will last many awesome shaves. Enjoy!

Top Bottom