What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SLANTemper, Thursday Sept 19th 2024

Razor : Razorock Wunderbar 316 SSP slant with a modified Micromatic handle. Mfg 2017> mid to upper mid range. I like to use a steep approach angle (riding the bar) with a short handle(less leverage and quicker to respond to chin area) gives me some excellent results mostly. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Personna red(4) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. Top tier 6 blades in my den.Always works great in my RR Wunderbar.
Soap : Tabac puck, flowery scented with excellent lather qualities. Triple milled for longevity also.
Brush : Yaqi" Orbital ring" 24mm boar bristle knot. Excellent lather generator, Soft split end bristle hair tips, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my RR Wunderbar with a Personna red blade.
SOTD September 19  2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Thursday morning shave rated 9.75/10 using:
  • Razor: 1968 N2 Gillette Knack
  • Blade: 1969-71 Gillette Platinum Plus (1)
  • Brush: Fendrihan synth
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: La Toja cream
  • Post shave: Thayer’s Coconut Witch Hazel followed by La Toja balm
PXL_20240919_150712929.jpg
PXL_20240919_153551165.jpg
First time using a straight slotted Gillette Platinum Plus blade (see photo). These were made during about 1969-71 according to Mr. Razor’s database of blade photos. My blade bears no date code, just a patent number. This blade in a Knack, which shaves a lot like a Super Speed, was super smooth and comfortable. I feel like it was just a tiny bit less close than I usually get with a vintage Gillette blade, but it could have been the razor that held it back. Regardless, my shave was mostly BBS with a couple spots that weren't quite there. I only used two passes (WTG/ATG) along with some very minor touch ups.

The cream and balm have matching scents, which I really like (and so does the LOTH). I bought both in a drug store in Barcelona in May 2022 along with a La Toja shaving stick, all for under $10. I love the balm, the cream is very slick, but not incredibly protective. Excellent mainstream, everyday products.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Pre-shave • Neutrogena Fragrance-free Bar Soap

Soap • D.R. Harris & Co. Arlington

Bowl • CaYuen Graffiti

Brush • Omega Evo Sapphire Blue

Razor • Fatip Grande Nickel OC

Blade • Treet Dura Sharp (1)

*Warm Shower*

Aftershave • Thayers Lavender + Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum

Eye Gel • Neutrogena Hydro Boost

A relaxing and enjoyable shave this morning. I haven't used the Fatip Grande OC is a while now and it paired great with a fresh Treet Dura Sharp. A little over 3 days of growth knocked down. No weepers or irritation. Lime Bay Rum for a superb finish.

10/10.

Now Playing •

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro

Thursday, September 19​

• Pre shave - shower
  • Yaqi Ghost 70Ti (China)
  • BIC Chrome Platinum #1 (Greece)
  • S.V. Felce Aromatica (Italy)
  • DS Cosmetics 22mm chubby Manchurian badger (China)
  • Thayer's WH (USA)
  • S.V. Cubebe sample (Italy)
9.0/10, DFS. Back to modern razor today after a week or so of vintage Gillettes. Cubebe is pleasant, I liked it, but of the S.V. A/S samples I’ve tried so far, this would be my least favorite. Liked it but not a top scent for me.

Think getting a perfect 10 Shave is just not possible for some people.

Recall a guy is High School I will call CC, not sure where family was from.

But guy would come to school after shaving daily, his beard was Black.

He always looked like he did not shave, as his beard always showed on face.

He and Boys VP had many talks, guy never looked clean shavin.
For me the rating isn't just about the shave. Yes, I'm super happy with the HW/SW choices but I also take into account the fact that I feel blessed to enjoy my shave each day.
I wish we all did but not everyone on this planet have the same opportunities.

September 19, 2024 Thursday shave

Razor: Yates 921M, brass (1)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Soap: Cella red
Brush: Oumo Compass 29mm ST-1
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Fine Snake Bite

Today was the first day to use my new Yates 921M. (M stands for Medium) Coupled with a Lab Blue, the shave was smooth and close. Also new is the Oumo Compass brush. It did a great job of making lather. This was a great shave! 9.9/10

SOTD 09_19_24.jpg

Thursday, September 19, 2024

Hardware
RazorEdwin Jagger 3ONE6
BladeTreet 7 Days Platinum (5 / 5) [6, 7]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
Pre-
LatherStirling Mix* [75, 76]
* Sheep; Eucalyptus Mint; Naked & Smooth (Sample); Eucalyptus Mint (Sample); Unscented with Beeswax (Sample x2).
PostOld Spice (face)
Thayer’s Unscented (head)

Notes
8 / 10 face
8 / 10 head

DOGS SHAVE

MUSIC: Animals by Pink Floyd, 1977.

Dark and apparently introverted. The animals inside us and the human animals around us.

Four Days Whiskers

PRE-SHAVE:

- Hot Shower

- Proraso Pre-Shave Cream Cypress and Vetyver (IT)

SOAP: Ariana & Evans Cannabliss Santal (US)

BOWL: Coconut Shell (SP)

BRUSH: MRed Loupe D'Amboine Manchurian 39 mm (FR) -

Most amazing brush with 250 gr. The knot punches the face like a boxer. Real good massage. It spreads the lather marvelously on face.

SR: Atelier Durdan Le Maurice SS Dual Head 1.6 mm (FR) -

While having a small blade exposure it has a big blade gap so it's smooth and Agressive. Its shaving was very efficient as always. I used both sides, the OC and the SB - there ain't big difference. Nevertheless I used the SB for touch-ups on the neck for the skin there is very sensitive.

BLADE: Bic Chrome Platinum (GR)(1) -

Once again excellent performance.

- 444 Alum-Block:

Mild to medium feedback over the first couple of minutes.

- Vichy Homme Sensi-Baume Après-Rasage (FR)

- After-Shave: Stirling Bay Rum (US)

- Floris Bergamotto di Positano (GB)

THE SHAVE:

A tiny weeper on my chin didn't affect my score: 10/10.

My three usual passes plus some light XTG touch-ups on Neck.

Attachments

• 20240919_203246~3-01.jpeg
    20240919_203246~3-01.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240919_205345~2-01.jpeg
    20240919_205345~2-01.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240919_211615~2-01.jpeg
    20240919_211615~2-01.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Top Bottom