What's new

Vintage April 2022

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
On-deck for tomorrow’s vintage shave: a 1952 X-1 Super Speed Black Tip.

The Black Tip is my favorite Super Speed. There are several versions based on what metals were available during the time of manufacture. The Korean War was causing rations on steel and brass, and as a result various parts were made out of alternate materials. Some had aluminum parts, or plastic knobs, etc. These deviations from the normal formula made the Black Tips shave somewhat uniquely from their other Super Speed brothers. Enjoy!

Back to the 1930's today and a great shave with my replated Gillette short comb New. What could be better than a great shave and toys with white rubber tires....

20220331_172637.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The great thing about these "events" is that they prompt us to pull out razors we may have not used in a while. I bought this Senator years ago with a lazy door. I sent it over to Captain Murphy for an overhaul, and it came back in tip top shape. I had a few shaves with it, then it made its way into the dark depths of my shaving display, where it has not seen action for years. Well, I am traveling this week and went searching for a couple of vintages for my trip, so I could participate in this thread. Saw the Old Senator peaking out from the dusty back row, and grabbed it. What a nice shave! Super smooth. Fun. It's like an open comb Super Speed. Neato. But the shave results are very much the same as a typical Super Speed. Good enough. But that doesn't hold up when my usual Charcoal Goods, Wolfman, etc, have set a super high bar. Glad to have brought this one along for the ride. Super fun.

20220408_082727.jpg

photostudio_1649357179799.jpg

Razor: G.E. Jones Shake Sharp Mk. I
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Indigo Oud
Aftershave: Shannon's Soaps Indigo Oud Aftershave Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Rose Petal
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Vintage April
Razor (First Pass): Joris Classic - Thujawood and Palladium
Blade: German Bolzano (5 and retired)
Razor (Passes 2, 3 & Touchups): Gillette Old Type (Charcoal Goods Brass Dimpled Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
Brush: Omega EVO
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Classic Match Oud EdT Spray
20220408_142319~2.jpg

Went with a Daily Double today so I can cover both Fatip Friday and Vintage April. :cool:
20220408_142437~2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11721358

Well, happy to say I shaved with my gold ball-end Tech for the previous two weeks and loved it. My shave was the same, every-other day using the following:

Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T1
Cream: TOBS Sandalwood

View attachment 1436111

I have to say it was the best run of shaves I have had so far, in my short TWS journey.

While I don't strive for BBS, and settle for a socially acceptable shave, I can report that I have achieved close, irritation-free shaves not possible in past attempts using both cartridges and various electrics.

The Gillette Tech has given me my best shaves to date, though I still have several modern razors to work through, so the final verdict is still out - but my $5 vintage Tech has set the bar and might reveal that I've wasted money on some nice stainless steel razors recently purchased.
That reliable Tech still getting it done!

The Black Tip is my favorite Super Speed. There are several versions based on what metals were available during the time of manufacture. The Korean War was causing rations on steel and brass, and as a result various parts were made out of alternate materials. Some had aluminum parts, or plastic knobs, etc. These deviations from the normal formula made the Black Tips shave somewhat uniquely from their other Super Speed brothers. Enjoy!
Thanks BradWorld! I wasn’t aware of the history and wondered why this Gillette appears to have an aluminum handle, definitely a plastic knob. It’s significantly lighter than the other Gillettes I use. I prefer heavier razors, but in the interest of my continuing education, here we go:

1952 X-1 Black Tip Super Speed
Muhle Silvertip Badger brush
TOBS Eton College cream
Astra blade

02A01D04-0D6E-403D-9333-CCD7E46BB03D.jpeg

Fri 8 SOTD
Soap Stirling Gin & Tonic
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake 2 Band Badger
Razor Gillette Fatboy F4
Blade Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless 2nd
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Wintergreen + Clubman Gents Gin
The soap would have been perfect if the scent is stronger...otherwise, the lather was thickly creamy and very slick...
Today's shave with this razor paired with the excellent blade at the max setting 9 for 3passes was amazingly good. Super smooth comfortable & very efficient...easy for a lasting bbs finish. Very very enjoyable... The aftershave matched very well and was just great...
20220408_232257.jpg

Top Bottom