What's new

US or European soaps? 🇺🇸🇪🇺

I am glad I don't have to choose.

I think there is better selection with European. All of their classic factory soaps, and a decent lineup of artesan stuff. But I would hate to give up B&M, A&E, and Cremo. American artesan soaps are incredible.

EU, for me.
  • 🇪🇸 Eufros. Manuel makes superb soaps, with unique scents.
  • 🇫🇷 MdC. I can't understand why some are so down on this soap; it is fantastic.
  • 🇮🇹 Proraso Single Blade creams. Discontinued, and inexplicably so.
  • 🇮🇹 Saponificio Varesino. A base nearly as good as Manuel's.
  • 🇩🇪 Speick. My first love.
Honorable mention to two US makers:
  • Mike's natural soaps: outstanding, but way to hard to get down here
  • Stirling Varen: the mutton base and heavy fougère scent is exceptional.

Seem odd to paint in such broad strokes. Every country produces bad soaps and every country produces good soaps. I don't think you could derive any meaningful information by assessing on a national scale.

That being said, if somebody came to me, for whatever reason, and said "what country should I consider if I want the best shave soaps in the world?" ...I'd tell them America without hesitation.

I've used many, many brands of soaps, and distilling the absolute finest down to, say, the top 10 would produce a grouping absolutely dominated by the yanks.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
There are many good soaps in both Europe and America, however, my top favorites are Grooming Department and Ethos soaps, both are US made. Honorable mention goes to Tabac (tallow version).

This is one I've been wanting to try. Just need to figure out what the scents are. Have any recommendations?
All SV scents are cologne-like...many based on popular fragrances like Aventus. Of all the SV scents I've tried, I'd wager Felce Aromatica is the safest. A pleasantz well blended fougere.

You can sample all SV scents in aftershave balm form, if you like.

Top Bottom