What's new

Twist-To-Open Exploration

Open Comb Exploration Preview

Ever-Ready 1912 Made in England

OC Ex pre ER 1912 1.JPG

It’s my first GEM-type razor. I had been looking at this one on ebay. I liked it but it was a single razor. The price was good but tax and shipping make a single a bit pricey. I find that pairs or more of razors are better value. So I passed on this one.

During this time I was reading all I could about these razors and where to get blades. I found a 4 GEM lot on ebay and bought it. A few days later I ordered a 10-pack of blades from Connaught UK.

Unfortunately, after a good bunch of ebay purchases these last 3 1/2 months, the 4 GEM lot appears to have been a scam listing. I received no shipping notification. Seller was unresponsive. I sent a cancellation request. I wasn’t in a super-duper rush to get these razors but I have a schedule. I had to get back on track. Two weeks after the 4 GEM purchase I went back to the Ever-Ready 1912 and bought it.

My cancellation request on the 4 GEMs was declined by the seller. I reported non-delivery to ebay. I’m currently waiting after the non-delivery period to apply for a full refund, which I am optimistic I will receive.

The blades were shipping internationally from across the water and continent; the razor was domestic and only had to travel half as far. I didn’t have tracking on the blade delivery but I knew the razor was coming today. Although they were purchased 11 days apart, they found their way to my doorstep together. Magic!

The razor is shiney silver. It came in a not-too-rough gold foil box with papers and a tuck of vintage DE blades. The GEM blades came in a sturdy and functional dispenser.

OC Ex pre ER 1912 2.JPG OC Ex pre ER 1912 3.JPG OC Ex pre ER 1912 4.JPG

Adjustable Exploration Seven

V1 1975 Super Adjustable

Well, I had just seen a mention of “cumulative irritation” and it seems that I am experiencing some form of this. And then yesterday, here on B+B, I read about irritation from vigourous face lathering. Since I’ve started these razor explorations I have fully embraced face lathering and have mostly left bowl lathering behind. I’m going to go soft tonight, see what happens.

Adj. Ex. Shave Of The Day

Bowl
: outlaw pottery

Lather: TOBS Mr. Taylor’s

Brush: The Jared badger

Razor: ’75 Super Adjustable (4, 3)

Blade: Rockwell (sh. 3)

Passes: WTG, plus

After: Clubman Classic

This is laughable. I have good skin; didn’t have acne or a ton of zits as a kid. I don’t get bumps or ingrown hairs. I don’t think I have sensitive skin, maybe soft skin? No face lathering tonight with the Super Adjustable. The all-over burn I’ve been experiencing intermittently with the Clubman was completely absent. Just a quick even buzz and done. My shave was comfortable.

Now I’m looking back at all the razor testing I’ve been doing and It’s been sort of compromised. It’s alright, I’ve learned tons. Maybe I don’t need to do much face lathering. My hairs aren’t too thick or dense. It’s good I’ve learned now. Keep calm, carry on.

Adj Ex 7 sotd super a.JPG

Adjustable Exploration Eight

Merkur Futur 701C

There’s a story attached to this razor. Maybe I’ll tell sometime. It’s about how I got this razor and it’s connection to my use of the Schick Injector Type E. I’d like to tell it because I’ve seen many reports of guys being intimidated by the Futur and balking at it’s use or otherwise disregarding it; mostly because they’ve soiled their undies with it.

My next shave with it here is interesting because I’ve been experiencing some irritation; not with a razor but with face lathering. See, I have two boar brushes. I really like them; I’ve been sort of amazed at how soft they’ve become after a breaking-in period. So I’ve really embraced face-lathering, for a couple few reasons. Loading the brush from a hard soap and face-lathering seemed to be the traditional method and I also like the minimalist elegance of it. And maybe a macho thing for me, “I don’t need no stinking bowl”. And I’ve been relishing face-lathering but I’ve gotten carried away.

I didn’t realize that I’ve been scrubbing the crap out of my face with my brushes, broken in or not. The result was that even the better razors often felt edgey. This was confusing; was it the razor? the blade? the angle I was using? And sometimes, on otherwise smooth shaves without weepers or any apparent irritation, my face was on fire with the aftershave splash. I felt like a cartoon character looking to run out into the snow and plunge my face in it.

In light of this I have another shave with the bad-a Futur.

Bowl

Brush: Omega 05 boar

Razor: Merkur Futur (2, 1.5)

Of course I went right back to my boar brush. And I did some face-lathering but not much; I don’t think my hairs need a ton of scrubbing to get a close shave. It’s nice to be over that little hump.

I’ve had eight, maybe ten shaves total with the Futur? All brilliant. Same again. I’ve only just started moving up from the lowest setting. And this shave was with a 3rd shave Rockwell blade, generally acknowledged to be a mediocre blade, at best. I haven’t explored it yet but I have an idea that using the Futur can extend the life of blades compared to more conventional DE razors.

Easy, comfortable, very close, zero irritation. The aftershave splash is telling; forget burn, there is zero sting. It’s absolutely amazing.

I hope that guys find their way to adjusting their technique and discover the joyous utility of this awesome tool.

Adj Ex 8 sotd futur.JPG

Adjustable Exploration Nine

Rockwell 6C

Well, I’ve come to the end of a whole bunch of DE razor deliberations. I’ve certainly gained some understanding of these implements. And I’ve improved my technique; still have a ways to go in that regard. My understanding of the razors is limited by that.

On one hand, I’m tired of them and want to chill for a while. On the other, I want to revisit some the best DEs and try and understand them better again. Sheesh, I still have as many older DE razors that I have to go over. But that’s some weeks or months down the road. We’ll see.

Bowl

Razor: Rockwell 6C (4, 4)

It’s a great razor. Smooth, safe, close, comfortable. I forgot to change the plate, worked great. Aftershave application was pretty cool. I need to shave with it more. I think I may prefer the Futur.

Adj Ex 9 sotd 6C.JPG

Type E Exploration One Continued

Eversharp / Schick Type E3 Injector

I’m happy to be focussing on these Type E razors, and single-edge generally, for a while. I may also be accessing my favourite DE razors intermittently.

You may have read in my other posts that I had been struggling with irritation from excessive face lathering. I’m going rather lighter with the brush and soap and have returned to a sort of “hybrid” lathering method (thanks Matt) with the bowl. This is consistent with my non-interventionist approach of caring for my good human skin. Less is more in this case.

I have the idea that close, comfortable shaves basically have two parts: efficient cutting of hair, and minimal abrasion (or irritation) of skin. That’s it.

Type E Shave Of The Day

Razor: Eversharp E3

Blade: Gillette Trac II twin (sh. 12, 13)

First: This razor really is a marvel. Yes, I went light with the face-lathering. This also reminded me to use light pressure with the razor too, which most razors want anyway, especially this one. And I remembered to rinse the twin blades generously between strokes to maximize the comfort and awesome cutting potential. I was rewarded with a satisfyingly close and comfortable shave. The aftershave splash was the ideal brief, warm / cool swell. Twelve shaves in and I see no end.

Type E Ex 2b 2 E3 1.JPG

Second: Thirteen shaves with the Trac II twin blade, I may be ready to let it go. It was a fine comfortable shave, easy application of aftershave splash. It felt just a tiny bit edgey a couple times and I have to stop and rinse it a lot in the densest areas. I even did two full passes this time.

I’m going to finish the Personna blade in the Alberta E2, you can see it creeping into the picture. Then decide if I’m finished with the twin in the E3. There are two Trac II blades left in the loader, I have no plan to return to them, for now. Funny, I was inspired to get a 7 O’Clock Trac II handle and blades, for another group of razor testing; it just arrived from India today.

Type E Ex 2b 2 E3 1.JPG

Attachments

• Type E Ex 2b 2 E3 2.JPG
    Type E Ex 2b 2 E3 2.JPG
    655.9 KB · Views: 0
Top Bottom