What's new

Timeless Aluminum ALSB45

The Timeless Razor ALSB45 Aluminum Safety Razor

Timeless 1.jpg

TLDR; bought new, sold it after a month. Perspective of a beginner only a few months into wet shaving.

My prior and current razor is a Razorock Game Changer 68 safety bar using a Kai blade. I LOVE the combo. I’m guessing with this set up the RR GC 68 blade exposure is approximately .11 mm with a blade gap of .68 mm. But I thought, hmmm, can I get a better shave (and without having to source blades online)?

So I purchased a new Timeless Razor ALSB45 based on the specs: .05 mm blade exposure and .45 mm blade gap. I thought going narrower with these specs would give me an idea of where I’m at since my very first razor (Parker 71R) had a much larger blade gap and exposure.

I tried Shark Super Chrome, Astra Superior Platinum, Feather Hi Stainless and Kai Stainless Steel blades. Neither of these blades made the Timeless Aluminum feel like an efficient razor which is a preferred attribute for me. It was a beautifully crafted razor though, only a slight positive for me. I’m willing to overlook form if the function is spot on.

While traveling with the Timeless I used a small aerosol can of Barbasol (lol). It clogged the razor quite quickly requiring more frequent rinsing. At home I used TOBS Cedarwood shave cream and the razor was able to keep contact with my face longer before rinses.

However, with either of the lathers, I always had to do three passes with the Timeless. And even felt I could keep going to really get a good shave. With the RR GC 68 I can often do two passes for a very acceptable shave. The Timeless felt like it was tugging on areas around my mouth and chin with all of the blades used. Also, the taller top cap prevented me from getting whiskers that are up high and close to my nostrils (TMI?). It felt very inconsistent for me, giving me patches of cut but not closely cut areas.

My neck and cheeks are very easy to shave with the RR GC 68 but the Timeless made me work in these areas more than I felt necessary. I never felt in danger of cutting myself with the Timeless unless I got sloppy or was simply not paying attention. Maybe the heavier weight of the Game Changer gives it more momentum in cutting; the Timeless being so light maybe requires more speed or force to accomplish the same task (?). I tried quicker, shorter strokes as well as adding a bit more pressure but without any improvement on the efficiency or shave in general. Trying different shave angles, riding the top cap or safety bar didn’t change the end result either.

I think if I started my shave journey with the Timeless razor I may have been perfectly content. It really is a nice razor to look at and does perform as a razor should. But after experiencing what the RR GC 68 can do I couldn’t justify holding onto it. I would never disparage anyone from trying a Timeless Aluminum razor. Every time I held it I admired the machine work. But each time I shaved with it I wished I had used the RR GC 68.

Just wanted to share my observations. I’m sure others will find the Timeless Aluminum ALSB45 to be a satisfying razor. I was hopeful of this and wished it to happen but I do know that if there is a next razor I’m only buying from companies that list their specs of blade exposure and gap.

Good analysis @Beshave Yourself 👍 I can definitely see being a newer wetshaver that’s used to heavier stainless razors and it being a tough adjustment to an AL razor like that. In all honesty I recently picked up a Timeless AL and I’ve had a hard time with the first couple shaves. I have it lined up for today to see how it goes, but it’s an interesting case study of how our muscle memory works when we’re used to having a razor or a certain weight and then try something that is so much lighter. I’m sure that if I were shaving every day with an AL for a while and then grabbed a stainless it would be a similar issue…

So my shave today with the Timeless AL was much improved. The blade situation was probably a little better (Gillette Silver Blue with a couple shaves on it), but I think the main thing was focusing on technique. The problem that I usually find myself having with AL razors whenever I’ve used them over the years is I use too much pressure thinking I need to compensate for the light weight of the razor, rather than just letting the blade do the work. That and going over areas too many times because I think the razor isn’t being efficient enough would usually end up giving me irritation and blade burn. Today I tried to just make myself do the shave exactly like I would with a stainless razor, and I’ve got a really clean and comfortable result. Maybe I will end up hanging on to this one…

The Timeless Razor ALSB45 Aluminum Safety Razor

View attachment 1914991

TLDR; bought new, sold it after a month. Perspective of a beginner only a few months into wet shaving.

My prior and current razor is a Razorock Game Changer 68 safety bar using a Kai blade. I LOVE the combo. I’m guessing with this set up the RR GC 68 blade exposure is approximately .11 mm with a blade gap of .68 mm. But I thought, hmmm, can I get a better shave (and without having to source blades online)?

So I purchased a new Timeless Razor ALSB45 based on the specs: .05 mm blade exposure and .45 mm blade gap. I thought going narrower with these specs would give me an idea of where I’m at since my very first razor (Parker 71R) had a much larger blade gap and exposure.

I tried Shark Super Chrome, Astra Superior Platinum, Feather Hi Stainless and Kai Stainless Steel blades. Neither of these blades made the Timeless Aluminum feel like an efficient razor which is a preferred attribute for me. It was a beautifully crafted razor though, only a slight positive for me. I’m willing to overlook form if the function is spot on.

While traveling with the Timeless I used a small aerosol can of Barbasol (lol). It clogged the razor quite quickly requiring more frequent rinsing. At home I used TOBS Cedarwood shave cream and the razor was able to keep contact with my face longer before rinses.

However, with either of the lathers, I always had to do three passes with the Timeless. And even felt I could keep going to really get a good shave. With the RR GC 68 I can often do two passes for a very acceptable shave. The Timeless felt like it was tugging on areas around my mouth and chin with all of the blades used. Also, the taller top cap prevented me from getting whiskers that are up high and close to my nostrils (TMI?). It felt very inconsistent for me, giving me patches of cut but not closely cut areas.

My neck and cheeks are very easy to shave with the RR GC 68 but the Timeless made me work in these areas more than I felt necessary. I never felt in danger of cutting myself with the Timeless unless I got sloppy or was simply not paying attention. Maybe the heavier weight of the Game Changer gives it more momentum in cutting; the Timeless being so light maybe requires more speed or force to accomplish the same task (?). I tried quicker, shorter strokes as well as adding a bit more pressure but without any improvement on the efficiency or shave in general. Trying different shave angles, riding the top cap or safety bar didn’t change the end result either.

I think if I started my shave journey with the Timeless razor I may have been perfectly content. It really is a nice razor to look at and does perform as a razor should. But after experiencing what the RR GC 68 can do I couldn’t justify holding onto it. I would never disparage anyone from trying a Timeless Aluminum razor. Every time I held it I admired the machine work. But each time I shaved with it I wished I had used the RR GC 68.

Just wanted to share my observations. I’m sure others will find the Timeless Aluminum ALSB45 to be a satisfying razor. I was hopeful of this and wished it to happen but I do know that if there is a next razor I’m only buying from companies that list their specs of blade exposure and gap.
I tend to like strong efficient razors, but bought a Timeless Al 45 to complete a Timeless 4 set. I also found it to be very inefficient. I put 1 shim in and it increased the efficiency, but with 2 shims the efficiency became very acceptable.

Good review. I tried an aluminum, may have been a Timeless, due to the generosity of one of the members here. I found it was too light and PIFed it forward (with the permission of the one who gave it to me). Just wasn’t for me, too light. But it was great for someone else.

So my shave today with the Timeless AL was much improved. The blade situation was probably a little better (Gillette Silver Blue with a couple shaves on it), but I think the main thing was focusing on technique. The problem that I usually find myself having with AL razors whenever I’ve used them over the years is I use too much pressure thinking I need to compensate for the light weight of the razor, rather than just letting the blade do the work. That and going over areas too many times because I think the razor isn’t being efficient enough would usually end up giving me irritation and blade burn. Today I tried to just make myself do the shave exactly like I would with a stainless razor, and I’ve got a really clean and comfortable result. Maybe I will end up hanging on to this one…
@jesseix, I probably should have given the Timeless more opportunities with different blades but I also didn't want to keep accumulating more and more blades; especially since I have a winning combo with the Game Changer and Kai blades. Living in a small apartment with my girlfriend keeps me from amassing too many things.

I did enjoy the slightly larger diameter handle though. It felt really natural in my hand. I think it's another lesson for me that maybe I hibernate a razor for a bit then come back to it. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and glad you're starting to enjoy the Timeless.

I tend to like strong efficient razors, but bought a Timeless Al 45 to complete a Timeless 4 set. I also found it to be very inefficient. I put 1 shim in and it increased the efficiency, but with 2 shims the efficiency became very acceptable.
@Cannon Cocker, Glad you're enjoying the Timeless Al 45, I might try one of their other offerings in the future. The Kai blade I used in mine made it tug more than the other blades used. Maybe it was technique... The Game Changer with the Kai blade is almost effortless. I did not try shimming though so another lesson for me to cover all the angles before giving up.

I'm contemplating a Karve Christopher Bradley in Brass with a C plate (.85mm gap/.09mm exposure).

Good review. I tried an aluminum, may have been a Timeless, due to the generosity of one of the members here. I found it was too light and PIFed it forward (with the permission of the one who gave it to me). Just wasn’t for me, too light. But it was great for someone else.
@Lightcs1776, yeah, no knock against Timeless; the razor just didn't work for me. I'm trying to post my experiences to possibly help someone that might be on a similar path as me or maybe hasn't tried one of the razors that I have used. Many contributors on Badger and Blade gave me insights that otherwise would have taken me years and a lot of money to figure out. I should probably join one of the pass around threads before committing to something new. The guy I sold my Timeless to was very happy with the price considering exchange rate, tax, duty and shipping to Canada is substantial.

@Cannon Cocker, Glad you're enjoying the Timeless Al 45, I might try one of their other offerings in the future. The Kai blade I used in mine made it tug more than the other blades used. Maybe it was technique... The Game Changer with the Kai blade is almost effortless. I did not try shimming though so another lesson for me to cover all the angles before giving up.

I'm contemplating a Karve Christopher Bradley in Brass with a C plate (.85mm gap/.09mm exposure).

If you do decide to look at the Karve w/ C feel free to drop me a line, that’s another one that I’m leaning towards moving on from 🤣

I like razors in all types of metals and own & have owned dozens of them.
I've had all the Timeless razors and my least liked was the aluminum. I never felt it to be a smooth shaver and the efficiency just wasn't there.
In aluminum, my #1 is the Colonial CR7 with the
#3 plate which is the most efficient plate option available. It's on the heavier side for an aluminum razor, no drag, super smooth, and super efficient.
It's an excellent razor in every respect!

Top Bottom