What's new

Thoughts requested

Get your face wet, apply a thin layer of Cremo, then apply a lather of Proraso.

If you're using a bowl, make a nice wet lather of Proraso in the bowl before you wet your face. If you are lathering on your face, just lather the Proraso on top of the Cremo and let them mix.

The Cremo is 10x slicker than the Proraso. It only works when it is wet. It works better when it is warm. A nice warm lather of Proraso on top of the Cremo will keep it wet, keep some warmth by your skin, and help guide you visually as you work your way across your face.

I wouldn't use Proraso green tube cream without a pre cream of some sort and you don't need to either. Cremo serves the role of pre cream with excellence and would be my first choice. I am not a fan of the Proraso pre cream; Cremo works better. I am not a fan of the proraso tube cream; I won't buy it again; most things work better for me, including artesan soap, Arko, Cella soap, even canned Barbasol.

Like others recommended, if you're newer to this crazy hobby, I'd stick with what you have. Keep working on your technique, that will serve you very well regardless of what equipment you eventually use.

Drawing from what you have and sharing my experience, I would try a sharper blade and a lighter touch in the Hensons. That made all the difference for me, initially I was using too dull a blade and too much pressure. Try your Henson medium with a very sharp blade and don't buff, see how that works for you.

Work on your lathering, that was another skill I had to learn. I didn't know how poorly I was doing until I did better. For me part of the solution was to use way more soap, then slowly mix in water. Proraso croaps never have worked well for me, so if you have other options, give those a shot.

You've got this @BabyBudaNedly! These are all skills one has to learn, take your time and enjoy the journey. Check in here and share how it is going.

+3! This^

IME technique is at least 90% of ‘traditional’ wet shaving. And this takes a bit of time; well worth the effort!!:a29::a29::a29:

Hello all. Today I shaved my 2-day course hair with a Henson Mild and a 7 o'clock yellow. Cremo Shave cream (2nd time using)

Shave was rough, not close at all in many spots even after 3 passes. minor irritation. Touched up to DFS with my newer Panasonic electric shaver.

Shave #1 with Rockwell 6C plate 4 was similar. I will try a new blade next in Fatip Gentile as I work my way to my last 2 razors with this blade. Fatip and Henson Med. ++.

I was considering a Fatip Open Comb or a mild Edwin Jagger as I chase this dragon. I like the Fatip more than the Rockwell so far in my Battle.

Anyone who has course facial hair have any input on this one?
Since Porasso Green is not slick enough I wonder if mixing some Cremo with it until I use them out would be ok. The Cremo has no scent. So far my favorite creams are Porasso Red and TOBS sandalwood.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Lots of good advice, but what is the root cause of your problem?

To give you useful advice, we would need to know how your pre-shave routine looks like.
In my experience, the vast majority of cases of rough shaves and irritation afterwards is linked to an inadequate pre-shave routine and keywords like “course facial hair”, ”copper wire beard”, “coarse beard and sensitive skin” raise warning flag.

So, before giving advice that misses the point, let us identify the root cause of your problem.
Tell us about your pre-shave routine and then we can take it from there…

B.

Lots of good advice, but what is the root cause of your problem?

To give you useful advice, we would need to know how your pre-shave routine looks like.
In my experience, the vast majority of cases of rough shaves and irritation afterwards is linked to an inadequate pre-shave routine and keywords like “course facial hair”, ”copper wire beard”, “coarse beard and sensitive skin” raise warning flag.

So, before giving advice that misses the point, let us identify the root cause of your problem.
Tell us about your pre-shave routine and then we can take it from there…

B.
Pre shave is a warm shower, I always clean my face with Dove Soap and a "Buff Puff" type of pad. Poraso pre-shave and then I do a decent lather with Either the Poraso Red, TOBS sandalwood, or Cella. I have the lather down good. I lather until I see peaks or looks like whipped cream.
I have come to the conclusion that Poraso Green is not a good fit for my hair type (as well they say on their website that Red is for course hair) which kinda stinks because I like the scent. I LOVE the sandalwood.

And thanks for the reply and kindness.

If you only spend a short time in the shower, it may not be enough. I can get washed in much less time than it takes for the shower to work on the beard area, so once I am done I usually spend a couple of minutes just letting the water run down my face, until I can feel the whiskers getting softened. You may need to prolong the shower (and / or turn up the heat, if it is only lukewarm).

I wouldn't pay any attention to the tagline about Proraso red being for coarse hair. That's just marketing. Use what you like. As far as I know there is no specific cream or soap that is better for certain beard types. It's all down to how you use it!

There's much good advice in this thread and @Jay21 has a great post on this topic (also referenced above). I'll elaborate on this, while adding one point at the end which will likely be controversial ...

Razors: absolutely stick with only one, and my vote goes for your Rockwell, not because I've experienced it, but because it gets a lot of love on this forum (both 6c and 6s). Statistically, they're one of the more universally loved razors on B&B. I'd stick with #3 or #4 based on what you report.

Blades: medium sharp would be my recommendation. I've had great success with the Personna Platinum Chrome (the German, "Israeli Reds"), but there are others in category (Astra SP, etc.) Others will differ, but my main point is to steer away from the super sharp blades (Feather, Kai) for the time being. I'd even be leery of Nacets and Perma-Sharps in the short term. You have time for this.

Parenthetically, it's a good thing you moved on from the free RK blades that came with your Henson. I don't know what they were thinking in teaming up with RK. One person commented that he saves them for removing the inspection sticker from his windshield every two years. I think he was being kind. They're that bad :eek2: and you'll be blaming yourself for the problems with the blade.

Lather and Prep: read the foolproof lather method thread, and by all means, ignore the mega-thread with the "glamor shots" showing lathered up brushes. These posts still-life photographic exercises. They are all "show" and no "go" and they're much more likely to steer you wrong, than help. The foolproof lathering method will emphasize basic principles for you to develop your own technique.

And now for some controversy :pipe:

This last one is going to be controversial and only applies if you're coming here with a background in cartridge shaving, and only if you minimal time invested in playing with your DE razors (a week or two) . If you've been shaving with an electric before this, it's irrelevant. If you have been shaving with a DE for a month or two, I think it also has minimal relevance.

If the above exceptions don't apply , stick with your cartridge razor for a few weeks, and limit your experimentation to learning how to lather. This will demonstrate the importance of prep in general and lathering more specifically.

I'm not going to get into soaps and pre-shaves, because I've only used two soaps and no pre-shaves. I'm a simple soul in this regard. I'll leave that to others to confuse you with the myriad choices ;-)

@Flanders and I have been discussing the importance of returning to basics, and how the process of learning any skill involves separating the activity into its component parts before integrating them.

In this case, learning how to lather while keeping everything else constant (razor and blade) will clue you in to both the improvements in your lathering process as well as the importance of it. Whether you temporarily return to a cart or not, put a lot of attention to lathering.

... Thom

Last edited:
I have very course facial hair and can get flawless shaves with the 6S. If you are failing to achieve a comfortable shave with those razors then the issue is almost certainly not the razors.

Blade choice, beard preparation and technique are easily the most important variables in this hobby with anything else, like razor choice, being a distant fourth. Establish those three things and you'll be able to shave with virtually anything... certainly with a 6S

Are you shaving after a hot shower? If not try it just to remove that variable from your troubleshooting that prep isn't the issue. As somebody with very course facial hair, this practice was the largest quantum leap in my shave quality next to blade exploration:

Have you explored different blades? Try 7'o clock greens, Nacets, Gillette Silver Blues, BIC Chrome Platinum, Astra SP, and Feathers. Between those blades you are likely to find one that somewhat agrees with your face. Remember some blades perform best on shave 2 or 3. My personal favorite are BIC Chrome Platinum, Gillette Minora, Viking Sword, and 7 o clock greens.

Finally, many people with crap technique using incompatible blades with no prep beyond slashing water on their face a few times think they have sensitive skin and course facial hair... I'd wager many don't and, furthermore, would wager none having assessed the beards of hundreds of other men to establish what average "coureness" even is to compare their supposed course facial hair against.

TL;DR - Hot shower for 15 minutes right before shaving and find a compatible blade for the Rockwell that works for your face.

I have a Henson medium, Feather blades and Jack Black Beard Lube. I shave twice a week, course Italian whiskers. No issues in two years since I got rid of my other razors and got the Henson. There is nothing to learn. I don’t get how someone could struggle with it. And Cremo is a pretty darn good cream too.

It astonishes me that so many people have trouble shaving, not matter what they use. It isn’t rocket science.

Cremo has beads that soak up tons of water, it needs a lot. Are you using enough? Are you try to make lather with it? You shouldn’t. Are you rinsing your razor adequately between strokes?

I have a Henson medium, Feather blades and Jack Black Beard Lube. I shave twice a week, course Italian whiskers. No issues in two years since I got rid of my other razors and got the Henson. There is nothing to learn. I don’t get how someone could struggle with it. And Cremo is a pretty darn good cream too.

It astonishes me that so many people have trouble shaving, not matter what they use. It isn’t rocket science.

Cremo has beads that soak up tons of water, it needs a lot. Are you using enough? Are you try to make lather with it? You shouldn’t. Are you rinsing your razor adequately between strokes?
It's because you no doubt have a combination of good technique and are also lucky in terms of skin type. I watch some internet shavers, and if I shaved as carelessly as they do, my face would be a wreck ... for weeks!

It's not fair to make people feel wrong for having different bodies, and YMMV is real. Yes! We're all different, and yes, technique matters. The latter can't be understated, and is even more critical for people who truly have sensitive skin.

... Thom

If it's that trivial with no need for prep or technique, then you've a different skin type and your facial hair probably isn't as course as you assume. I've seen people have to put in a lot of effort before they get good shaves that don't tax their skin. Remember, your own person experiences are a sample size of one and there's many skin and beard types out there. Recognizing that isn't rocket science either.

I just want to help you and I hope you won’t find it in a negative way.

We started and joined B&B almost at the same time. I’ve seen many of your post and clearly you are moving too fast trying so many different things. You keep saying your’e impatient and you will be old before you get to try out different blades, razors, soap etc.

This makes you more confuse than resolve your issues. You make simple things complicated with so many variables. You shaved a number of times already since you shifted to DE. By this time I’m sure somehow you experience at least one good comfortable irritation free shave.

Pick one razor, one blade, one soap that you like. Shave after you shower and do it for a month consistently without changing stuff. That will improve your technique which will give you a better shave.

You may have all the top of the line expensive stuff in your den but without the correct shaving technique and proper lathering it’s all for nothing. Practice makes it perfect.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@BabyBudaNedly , you've already received a lot of sound advice. I don't have anything to add except one suggestion.

All of us, or at least, the vast majority of us, started the same way you are. I'd encourage you, when you have some spare time, to read the Journal and Diaries forum here. You'll be able to read the various paths people took and are still taking on this shaving journey of ours. You might find someone with whom you have much in common... You'll be able to avoid their mistakes, and learn what's worked for them and why.

If you are new, it is tempting to keep changing things, trying new products, etc. but you should probably resist this urge. Pick out your favorite setup and just use that consistently while you work to improve your technique.

Correct. If you must change one thing, then changing blades is the least risky. In fact, I recommend trying a few different ones. Whichever of those few treats you the best: then stick with that.

Don't make your goal getting a BBS result. For now, your goal should be to get a reasonably close shave without irritation and be able to do this consistently.

Correct. Aim for SAS (socially acceptable shave) at first, and nothing better. Better will come with time. The most important outcome in the beginning is as little irritation as possible, and the best way to achieve that is to avoid too many passes on the same spot.

Work on your lathering, that was another skill I had to learn. I didn't know how poorly I was doing until I did better. For me part of the solution was to use way more soap, then slowly mix in water.

This, this, a hundred times this! Don't just gloss over this bit of advice. Stick with bowl-lathering in the beginning. The general rule is More Product, More Water, More Time. Add water bit by bit as you work it into a lather. Each time before you add more water, pay attention to what it looks like in your bowl. Is the lather starting to creep up the side of the bowl? Does a disk stubbornly stay in the bottom? Does it have a matte or shiny appearance? Pay attention to what it sounds like. Does swirling your brush sound sloppy? sticky? Pick a tiny bit of later out and rub it between your fingers. What does it feel like? Then add more water and repeat the process. At some point, you will feel it "blow out", or move past an acceptable balance of slick and protective. This is not wasted time. This is developing your skill and saving you pain and frustration in the future. How it all works will vary from soap to soap, so stick with a single soap during this learning process.

If you need 3 passes, still have rough spots, have to finish with an electric and have irritation , you are doing something wrong.

I'll go even further: if you have irritation, then stop doing 3 passes. Period. The less time your skin has something scraping along its surface, the better. Set your standard lower, and aim for improving technique instead. You should be able to achieve SAS in a single pass, DFS with one pass plus touch-up. Three passes are for those who have mastered their technique to the point that all those extra passes don't mess with their skin.

Shave with your arm and not your wrist. Keep the angle of the razor consistent.

Oooh, I forgot about that! Yes! When learning, this takes constant attention to not forget. Keep your elbow locked. Bend your wrist only as much as required to keep the razor head at the exact same angle against your skin around the contours, no more. Only move your shoulder. Only when doing this will you realize how sloppy your technique really is. After a while, it will become second nature, but it's definitely NOT second nature in the beginning.

Pre shave is a warm shower, I always clean my face with Dove Soap and a "Buff Puff" type of pad. Poraso pre-shave and then I do a decent lather with Either the Poraso Red, TOBS sandalwood, or Cella.

I'm going against most people's advice here. All that a hot shower does for me is to make my skin more sensitive and more susceptible to irritation. Try just rubbing your stubble with some room-temperature water first, then spend a bit more time applying your lather to your skin to gently exfoliate and lift your whiskers. Try cooler water. My breakthrough back in the beginning more or less coincided with a switch to full-cold water. I no longer use full-cold water, but it helped me back then.

I have the lather down good. I lather until I see peaks or looks like whipped cream.

It might still be too dry. Try adding a little bit more water after that, and see what it does. Experiment with the lather. You might be surprised at (1) how different soaps behave differently and (2) how much you can learn just by playing around with the process.

All of us, or at least, the vast majority of us, started the same way you are.

It certainly took me a long time. I wasn't getting consistently good shaves for more than a year, and it took me almost an hour at the sink each time I shaved. Fast-forward ten or twelve years, and I've long been getting consistently good results against a week's worth of stubble with zero pre-shave routine, a shave stick and a brush, a single pass with extensive touch-up but no re-lathering, and zero post-shave routine. Some of us (like me) are just slow learners at this skill.

I just want to help you and I hope you won’t find it in a negative way.

We started and joined B&B almost at the same time. I’ve seen many of your post and clearly you are moving too fast trying so many different things. You keep saying your’e impatient and you will be old before you get to try out different blades, razors, soap etc.

This makes you more confuse than resolve your issues. You make simple things complicated with so many variables. You shaved a number of times already since you shifted to DE. By this time I’m sure somehow you experience at least one good comfortable irritation free shave.

Pick one razor, one blade, one soap that you like. Shave after you shower and do it for a month consistently without changing stuff. That will improve your technique which will give you a better shave.

You may have all the top of the line expensive stuff in your den but without the correct shaving technique and proper lathering it’s all for nothing. Practice makes it perfect.
Thanks! first, nice cat pic. I have almost the same cat! I appreciate the feedback.

I have had many many good shaves. Hope I did not come across as I am having it rough and nothing but issues. Seems like I do better with the Fatip and the Henson ++ so far. and actually, enjoyable shaves with the Fatip and Nacet Blades. So far the Nacet and Gillet Platinum are my favorites.

I always shave right after a hot shower. My showers are not short at all. That and prep are not an issue. As I am drilling down I am discovering that my hair will need a sharper / mid sharp blade. The tough part will be trying to identify the blades that just won't work for me. I actually put everything in a spreadsheet with notes and that is what the data is telling me. I will of course need to refine my technique. That I understand, will take time. I am having fun with all of this. That is for sure.

Since I posted about Porasso Green and have moved it to the side (for now) I have not had a rough shave. Appreciate the time and thank you!

@BabyBudaNedly , you've already received a lot of sound advice. I don't have anything to add except one suggestion.

All of us, or at least, the vast majority of us, started the same way you are. I'd encourage you, when you have some spare time, to read the Journal and Diaries forum here. You'll be able to read the various paths people took and are still taking on this shaving journey of ours. You might find someone with whom you have much in common... You'll be able to avoid their mistakes, and learn what's worked for them and why.

cool thanks for the link! I must say this is all kinda fun!

layers and stack it high...
more.png

is more better or slicker, hmm no..
but what the heck..
BFX

If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong.

even.png

BFX

oh don't forget to use the correct matching brush...
fun7-05.png

layers and stack it high...
View attachment 1860574
is more better or slicker, hmm no..
but what the heck..
BFX

If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong.

View attachment 1860575
BFX

oh don't forget to use the correct matching brush...
View attachment 1860576
I know this was a quasi humorous post, but just in case OP missed that, I want to mention that if lather can stack like that and the peaks hold their shape, like shown in the picture, then it's extremely under hydrated.

Top Bottom