What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That is exactly what I used to go through as well. And also for me the migraine came after the aura cleared up. It got to the point where I would go to the hospital where they'd give me a buttshot of Demerol. Damn I loved that stuff.
It began with the doctor asking me if I could touch my chin to my chest. NOPE. The top of my head felt like it would literally blow off. A few minutes after getting the shot I'd be wandering around just enjoying the colours, the scenery and trying to be helpful to anyone. The staff would usually guide me back to a safe haven.
Now I still do get the auras but the resulting headache is very mild and almost negligible. But I have to wait for my vision to clear up before driving, golfing etc.
I have fond memories of Demerol. I’ve had it twice: once for malaria and once for a stuck kidney stone the size of a nickel.

Edit: I didn’t have it “for” either of them, but because of them, that’s what I was given. It sure is memorable, that shot in the rear. After that, pure bliss.

I have fond memories of Demerol. I’ve had it twice: once for malaria and once for a stuck kidney stone the size of a nickel.

Edit: I didn’t have it “for” either of them, but because of them, that’s what I was given. It sure is memorable, that shot in the rear. After that, pure bliss.
Most opiods don't work very well on me for some reason but demerol and tramadol actually do...although I can't say I enjoy the experience. Benzos, now....I won't take those any more, I *love* those.
My wife calls it seeing snow like the old TVs when you had no reception from the antenna. When that happens she is either quick enough to take her meds or the migraine is quick enough to come out blazing and roaring and put her down.

Hope you are feeling well again Matt.
Yes sir, feeling good now and got a script for imotrex so I'll be prepared next time it happens.

Great shave today, the Shell has been up to bat for a while but it kept getting pushed aside for others. Very nice. Saturdays seem to be a day for using Proraso and really working to hydrate my beard, I fully face lathered with the Simpsons Emperor (which is really more suited to bowl lathering) and it was delightful. I was rewarded with a nice, effortless shave. Finished up with the R41, the Nacet was back to being well behaved today and then topped off with Bog Water. Managed to avoid drowning my ear this time.

Be well.
20240914_103533.jpg

Most opiods don't work very well on me for some reason but demerol and tramadol actually do...although I can't say I enjoy the experience. Benzos, now....I won't take those any more, I *love* those.

Yes sir, feeling good now and got a script for imotrex so I'll be prepared next time it happens.
I'm not allowed to take Opioids anymore because they react badly with my one of my meds. Not sure which one. Probably an antipsychotic or maybe it is the one for thyroid, I forget which They have me on so many. Benzos on the other hand as chronic insomniac I have been on most of the benzos and the tame trazaedone type ones too. Unfortunately the only thing that will knock me out is 10 mg of the little blue Valium. I found out this info the first time in a hospital in Frankfurt-Hoechst, Germany in 2008. The sweet little Krankenschwester gave me the good stuff right away. Out like a light I went. It took a while to convince the doc's over here. After being with my current dos 8 years she walked past me in a joint waiting room after going 5 days with no sleep to realize the big guns were needed. We had a deal. I would try everything she could think of and if I still wasn't sleeping she would write the script. I try not to take them or at least to cut them in half, but, mania/insomnia is no joke. I have tried supplements/melotonan and the like as well as most of the over the counter stuff. Just doesn't pack the same punch as Diazepam.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm not allowed to take Opioids anymore because they react badly with my one of my meds. Not sure which one. Probably an antipsychotic or maybe it is the one for thyroid, I forget which They have me on so many. Benzos on the other hand as chronic insomniac I have been on most of the benzos and the tame trazaedone type ones too. Unfortunately the only thing that will knock me out is 10 mg of the little blue Valium. I found out this info the first time in a hospital in Frankfurt-Hoechst, Germany in 2008. The sweet little Krankenschwester gave me the good stuff right away. Out like a light I went. It took a while to convince the doc's over here. After being with my current dos 8 years she walked past me in a joint waiting room after going 5 days with no sleep to realize the big guns were needed. We had a deal. I would try everything she could think of and if I still wasn't sleeping she would write the script. I try not to take them or at least to cut them in half, but, mania/insomnia is no joke. I have tried supplements/melotonan and the like as well as most of the over the counter stuff. Just doesn't pack the same punch as Diazepam.
I'm horribly allergic to all the opioids, thankfully. With my chronic back pain, I'd probably end up on the streets, begging for money to support a habit.

I'm horribly allergic to all the opioids, thankfully. With my chronic back pain, I'd probably end up on the streets, begging for money to support a habit.
It is time to go to the VA again. I was on oxycodone for several years starting with my leg/ankle injury and continuing due to chronic back pain. The VA weened me off them and gave me lidocaine patches and a TENS unit along with some serious PT. My roommates at the time had a very well stocked liquor cabinet and I made do. It took me a while to clean up my act.

Straight was my Koraat today. Very nice as always. Beeswax for the soap. I loaded a new Durasharp into my best New SC, I don't think I've tried one in this razor before, just a couple of the other News. Wow. The smoothness of the blade tamed down the inherent aggression in this razor and really showed just how efficient it is. I can't say for sure without doing a head to head but it's at least equal to the modern R41. This New does well with all my favorite blades but not all of them feel quite as safe.

Finished up with Myrsol for a great ending to a nice shave. Be well.
20240915_103205.jpg

Real quick update today, I'm having a cup of coffee and then hitting the road for Chicago to move the kid in. Straight was Hayashi Diamond, soap was MdC Rose, the Oumo brush was stellar today, cleanup again with the New SC and finished up with the Veg. Kit for tomorrow and possibly Wednesday is Proraso Red, Vielong synth, R41 and Durasharp, and Bog Water.

I hope you all have a great couple days, I'll check in when I can.
20240916_070801.jpg

Real quick update today, I'm having a cup of coffee and then hitting the road for Chicago to move the kid in. Straight was Hayashi Diamond, soap was MdC Rose, the Oumo brush was stellar today, cleanup again with the New SC and finished up with the Veg. Kit for tomorrow and possibly Wednesday is Proraso Red, Vielong synth, R41 and Durasharp, and Bog Water.

I hope you all have a great couple days, I'll check in when I can.View attachment 1912320
Enjoy your trip!

I hope you all have a great couple days, I'll check in when I can.View attachment 1912320
Have a great trip!

Made it back last night about 10:20. Trips were pretty uneventful. Got the kid pretty squared away. Campus is pretty, but the music building is absolutely gorgeous (picture of the lobby below with the boy and one of his sisters). And the music library...acres of scores, books...I could have spent a week in there and not noticed.

Yesterday's shave was R41/Durasharp. Proraso Red and Vielong synth, Bog Water to finish. Got an nice DFS/DFS+. I was antsy about getting out on time so I didn't spend a lot of time chasing BBS in the trouble spots. One thing I've noted, after a few travel shaves with DEs now. My straights and DEs have a nice synergistic relationship. I can get a closer, happier shave with both together than I can with either.

Today was my Kyoei. Trying to get back into a more orderly rotation, so I'm working my way through the case of 12 "pretty" razors, semi-methodically. (Exceptions for Frameback Friday). We'll see if I can stick to that. Soap was Agrumes, but I finished with the Veg even though it's not a match. Definitely BBS today, which was nice since I had more stubble than usual when I rolled out of bed.

The soundtrack of the trip wasn't terribly notesworthy. Started the drive down with "Eastbound and Down" (of course) to set the mood. Then listened to some Johnny Cash, American II and III, followed by Sound and Fury by Sturgill Simpson. That one's kind of an enigma and I've never really dug deep into it before. Once I hit Milwaukee I turned the music off so I could figure out where I was going. The way home, I cued up my Waylon Jennings playlist, which turned out to be long enough to get me past Madison. The rest of the way home I listened to random Tony Rice stuff.

Hope you all are well, I'm going to try to catch up on journals today as time allows.
20240917_125822.jpg
20240918_070832.jpg

Top Bottom