What's new

The Journal Of Huck...

I'm sorry but the reason they state just doesn't seem to "add up". Lots of manufacturers seem to be able to creat SS razors which are reasonably priced compared to Ti. Now I'm obviously not an engineer or metallurgist but if aluminum can be made to their "tolerances" SS shouldn't pose too much of a problem. I would think. I will also say that maybe they don't want to lose their aluminum razor market to a nicely priced SS version.
Just my thinking on the matter.:pipe:
Maybe try a Yates Winning v2. Seems close to a SS Henson is some ways. It shaves well and efficient but there is a bit of drag to me. More efficient than say an Overlander. I’ve not had a Henson and won’t because I dont do aluminum, I like SS.

Maybe try a Yates Winning v2. Seems close to a SS Henson is some ways. It shaves well and efficient but there is a bit of drag to me. More efficient than say an Overlander. I’ve not had a Henson and won’t because I dont do aluminum, I like SS.
I had the V1 and it had lots of drag. I sold it! But supposedly that was taken care of with the V2.
They added those ridges to the top cap that's supposed to eliminate that. The High Proof V2 razor also has those ridges in order to eliminate the drag that people complained about in the V1 version.
But I'm guessing you have the Winning V2 by your comment. That tells me with your assessment that the drag still remains.
Bummer!

I had the Yates Hybrid razor and it was ok but nothing that kept me from selling it. I also had the Henson AL and Ti razors as well. They're good but I just didn't care for them. Now I generally don't like aluminum razors but I like supporting Canadian companies. "But wait...isnt Henson a Canadian company?" Yes and I've bought two and that's support enough for the time being. Now my other AL razor is the ShaveIt "Shadow" which is a terrific shaver that helps me overlook the aluminum aspect. I also have a Robin SE razor coming and we'll see about how that performs. I have a bunch of Feather DE blades set aside for that razor.

Guess I am just mapped old school. Give me steel, I need the feel. Now I have tried 3 modem aluminum. Henson +++, C.F. Legacy, & Design94. All good DE's, they get the done. I just don't feel and experience of enjoy with these lightweights. If I open my bathroom window, they could blow away. I can shave with pretty much anything. But it more about the enjoyment for me. But we are lucky to have all these options to try.
I have two dens in the house. Well equipped. Thou being an old loyal R.R. guy. I had to get the GC 1.05. Like it a lot. Just the right amount of blade feel and clog free.. smooth for me.
SE's/AC pass...if I can't flip it ...I'll just use my Thiers-Issard SR.
Cheers...
BFX
Thanks Huck & Larry..
Really fun and interesting to hear you too share all the new acquisitions.
Appreciated...

Guess I am just mapped old school. Give me steel, I need the feel. Now I have tried 3 modem aluminum. Henson +++, C.F. Legacy, & Design94. All good DE's, they get the done. I just don't feel and experience of enjoy with these lightweights. If I open my bathroom window, they could blow away. I can shave with pretty much anything. But it more about the enjoyment for me. But we are lucky to have all these options to try.
I have two dens in the house. Well equipped. Thou being an old loyal R.R. guy. I had to get the GC 1.05. Like it a lot. Just the right amount of blade feel and clog free.. smooth for me.
SE's/AC pass...if I can't flip it ...I'll just use my Thiers-Issard SR.
Cheers...
BFX
Thanks Huck & Larry..
Really fun and interesting to hear you too share all the new acquisitions.
Appreciated...
My aluminum Legacy is gone!
I like both heavy and light metals, just depends what I'm in the mood for.
The Legacy ended up feeling way too light (and tiny). The Henson feels more solid and the Design94 feels very substantial for an aluminum razor. I've kept those two (so far!)

I have the brass Legacy...a great razor. Speaking of great razors, I received one today. Or it could be a great razor...we shall see.
I bought a BlackLand BlackBird OC in brass. When I purchased it there was a fill-in for a 10% off coupon. So I did what was necessary and waited etc. Didn't show up so I just went ahead and ordered the razor. After doing so BL contacted me to say thank you etc and how did everything go? I replied it was all good but the 10% coupon never showed up in time to affect the purchase the razor.
Well...their rep Basher (yes that's his name) emailed me back saying they had taken the 10% off and had re-imbursed my PayPal acct the money.
Now that's customer service. I didn't ask for the refund but they felt it was in the best interests of not only myself but for their company. I can honestly say that I would be absolutely fine with telling anyone what a class act BlackLand is. I have a Dart re-issue and it's a terrific razor. Hopefully the BB is as well. Tomorrow is the debut shave with a GSB on its 2nd outing.
Cheers!
tempImagefuZ9xB.png
tempImagedYmf5k.png

I have the brass Legacy...a great razor. Speaking of great razors, I received one today. Or it could be a great razor...we shall see.
I bought a BlackLand BlackBird OC in brass. When I purchased it there was a fill-in for a 10% off coupon. So I did what was necessary and waited etc. Didn't show up so I just went ahead and ordered the razor. After doing so BL contacted me to say thank you etc and how did everything go? I replied it was all good but the 10% coupon never showed up in time to affect the purchase the razor.
Well...their rep Basher (yes that's his name) emailed me back saying they had taken the 10% off and had re-imbursed my PayPal acct the money.
Now that's customer service. I didn't ask for the refund but they felt it was in the best interests of not only myself but for their company. I can honestly say that I would be absolutely fine with telling anyone what a class act BlackLand is. I have a Dart re-issue and it's a terrific razor. Hopefully the BB is as well. Tomorrow is the debut shave with a GSB on its 2nd outing.
Cheers!
View attachment 1763719View attachment 1763720
Aha!! Congratulations!!
Hope you enjoy it. I'd consider it to be my hands down most efficient DE razor!

Ok, so today was the 1st time for the BlackBird brass OC. The 2nd shave on the GBS blade. I used Canada Soap which I scraped into my Tanaka bowl and started to build my lather. This is a great soap, easy to use and a very nice lather. Over the last while I've gotten away from the 2 pass plus buffing and have morphed into a 3 pass guy with some buffing instead. Takes longer and I'm happy with that.
After the 3 passes etc the shave was wonderful...very, very smooth and comfortable. A bit of alum sting which I attribute to the razors efficiency. Blade is doing well and the razor is a keeper. Used an AP AshaveCo synth brush and finished with Thayer's and some Eros balm. Great start to the day!
reface_1603146737281_969.GIF

So a few years ago I had this app as a a trial where you can choose a film/tv clip etc and have your face replace that of whoever is in the clip. It's called Re-Face and it was kinda fun for a bit. Anyway those gifs I've been using are of me in some fairly well known movie scenes. And yes I plan on using them where applicable or where I think they might be funny.
Cheers
reface_1603146531893_545.GIF
reface_1603146708456_956.GIF

reface_1603147207108_603.GIF
reface_1603147154779_997.GIF

Ok, so as I said my 4th shave with the GSB in my brass BlackBird wasn't quite up to the first three. No nicks etc but definite alum sting and having to repeat passes. Hmm.
However, before I can proceed with this blade/razor evaluation I received my new Canadian made product...the Robin "Snap" razor. It's a bit of an odd critter, is aluminum which I generally stay away from ( he says with now 2 AL razors) but, @LRod liked it so I thought I'd go along as well. I will report later as to the shaving characteristics, efficiency and comfort a bit later.
Cheers!
IMG_3078.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok so the new razor, the Robin "Snap" SE which uses 1/2 of a DE blade.
Took a new Feather blade and snapped it in half...very easy to do, leave it in the paper sleeve to avoid unnecessary blood letting.
Loaded the blade again very easy. Used my Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cigar soap with my RazoRock 400 synth brush plus my Naked Armor scuttle.
Built up a very nice lather and got to soaping up. Started out well, very easy to manoeuvre and control. Finding the angle was pretty simple and straightforward. Did my usual WTG pass and Whaaat? A couple of weepers...?? Ok, lathered up again and went for the ATG pass. Some audio and you can feel the blade cutting. Which is fine. Pretty good pass but another weeper. Hmm
Polished off with some buffing (carefully) and it turned out to be a pretty good shave. Some alum sting which tells me it's being fairly efficient. The weepers cleared off with the alum but I was surprised to see them anyway. I'm thinking a bit of "getting used to" is required. Other than that a nice shave with a good result. With my razors, I pretty much tend to shave every 2nd day, unless there's something special going on the next day. They are all efficient and close shaving. Some a bit more than others.
tempImageWqWcSC.png

Next shave is going to be with the brass BB and the GSB blade which is heading into its 5th outing. If I notice another drop off I'll give it one more try with a different razor.
Cheers!

Ok so the new razor, the Robin "Snap" SE which uses 1/2 of a DE blade.
Took a new Feather blade and snapped it in half...very easy to do, leave it in the paper sleeve to avoid unnecessary blood letting.
Loaded the blade again very easy. Used my Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cigar soap with my RazoRock 400 synth brush plus my Naked Armor scuttle.
Built up a very nice lather and got to soaping up. Started out well, very easy to manoeuvre and control. Finding the angle was pretty simple and straightforward. Did my usual WTG pass and Whaaat? A couple of weepers...?? Ok, lathered up again and went for the ATG pass. Some audio and you can feel the blade cutting. Which is fine. Pretty good pass but another weeper. Hmm
Polished off with some buffing (carefully) and it turned out to be a pretty good shave. Some alum sting which tells me it's being fairly efficient. The weepers cleared off with the alum but I was surprised to see them anyway. I'm thinking a bit of "getting used to" is required. Other than that a nice shave with a good result. With my razors, I pretty much tend to shave every 2nd day, unless there's something special going on the next day. They are all efficient and close shaving. Some a bit more than others.View attachment 1766676
Next shave is going to be with the brass BB and the GSB blade which is heading into its 5th outing. If I notice another drop off I'll give it one more try with a different razor.
Cheers!
Wow! Can't believe the weepers but I guess every skin is different. One thing I had mentioned about the Robin is that it's very deceiving since it's got barely no blade gap. And if you run your finger on the head, you can barely feel the blade. It's strange because it's got neither and it's light but it's really efficient. And you can feel that as you shave and you can hear it too. In my opinion It's one of those that needs to be treated like a heavy razor. Hope it works out better on the next try!

How are you liking that Naked Armour scuttle Huck? I like the stainless appearance but also read stories that it transports heat to the exterior which might cause you to have trouble holding the scuttle without risking having you hand touch the heat.

Thanks!

Guido

How are you liking that Naked Armour scuttle Huck? I like the stainless appearance but also read stories that it transports heat to the exterior which might cause you to have trouble holding the scuttle without risking having you hand touch the heat.

Thanks!

Guido
I like it quite a bit. I don't put boiling water into it just hot tap water. Your taps may be hotter than mine. I find the handle to be kind of awkward to hold. Too thin, only two fingers fit in the handle, it needs some kind of thumb pad to produce resistance because without that it tends to rotate downwards with a wet hand. I'm going to try and somehow adjust or work on the handle someway to make it easier to use. Other than that, it's nice to have warm lather.

I like it quite a bit. I don't put boiling water into it just hot tap water. Your taps may be hotter than mine. I find the handle to be kind of awkward to hold. Too thin, only two fingers fit in the handle, it needs some kind of thumb pad to produce resistance because without that it tends to rotate downwards with a wet hand. I'm going to try and somehow adjust or work on the handle someway to make it easier to use. Other than that, it's nice to have warm lather.
Lol we have another match! My wife got me that same scuttle for Christmas 2021! I agree with you on the hot tap water instead of boiling water!

Top Bottom