What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

ShaveSmith Kamisori - weight and balance excellent
(blade colour isn't distorted - just the plastic sleeve)

ShaveSmith Kamisori-1.JPG

Here is my newest acquisition, a Henckels Twinworks 14. Got a lovely shave from it last night. The stone is a natural coticule from a 1960 visit to the Ardennes. The bowl is buffalo horn, the brush a Simpsons' Commodore X3 best badger, and the soap Abbataia y La Mantia. Azzaro splash. This combo offers as smooth a shave as a person could want.

Attachments

• IMG_1444.JPG
    IMG_1444.JPG
    981.7 KB · Views: 19
View attachment 1913997
Is this it? Robesons are like wands for wizards, they pick the shaver.
If there was etching on the blade, it's long gone now. The tail is stamped "16F300" which indicates it was originally ground for a "wiry bead, tender skin." From what I've found in old posts, this razor should have had the etching on the blade. They started using the ShurEdge trademark in the 1920s, I don't know how old this example is.

If there was etching on the blade, it's long gone now. The tail is stamped "16F300" which indicates it was originally ground for a "wiry bead, tender skin." From what I've found in old posts, this razor should have had the etching on the blade. They started using the ShurEdge trademark in the 1920s, I don't know how old this example is.
Other than the etching being gone, your razor looks in great shape with little wear. Maybe someone just didn't like the etching. Mine is a fine shaver, in spite of being one of my first edge restoration projects.

Other than the etching being gone, your razor looks in great shape with little wear. Maybe someone just didn't like the etching. Mine is a fine shaver, in spite of being one of my first edge restoration projects.
I think the blade etch on these was very light. I have one, different model number and 5/8, I think there are remnants of the etching but you wouldn't even see them unless the lighting was just right. I'll have to pull it out and look when I get home.

I think the blade etch on these was very light. I have one, different model number and 5/8, I think there are remnants of the etching but you wouldn't even see them unless the lighting was just right. I'll have to pull it out and look when I get home.
Here's mine. I don't think it would be hard to erase the blade etch. I love the hammered tang thing.
IMG_6503.jpeg

Related note: I have yet to see a Robeson pocket knife in a vintage store that didn't have an astronomical price tag.

Here's mine. I don't think it would be hard to erase the blade etch. I love the hammered tang thing.
View attachment 1914061
Related note: I have yet to see a Robeson pocket knife in a vintage store that didn't have an astronomical price tag.
Just looked at mine and the etch is almost impossible to see or photograph but it's there.
20240919_182621.jpg

I have my grandpa's Robeson fishing knife. The memories are priceless, anyway.
20240919_183419.jpg

Top Bottom