What's new

Some Rockwell 6S Love

@WhiskerLess
I didn't say that 6C didn't works for me. I said there are better mild razors because they are more effective, they have thiner head and some of them cover the entire blade. I thought 6C was great until I tried other mild razors. After that I discover that 6C isn't that great. I simply suggested you have to try more razors if you want to be sure that 6S/6C is that great.

I can shave with a slim on 1, with R1, with a blue tip and with every ultra mild setting or razor you can think of, and still have a great shave.

What I need or don’t need is a personal thing, wouldn’t you agree?

I have 20 something razors, from ultra mild to aggressive and they all work for me. Technique is more important than gear.
My technique isn't the best but I am improving it. Technique is very important but unlike Alex Jr I am gear dependent. With my poor technique some gear works better than others and I can't shave with a knife or a fork.

Don’t mix opinions with facts. If it doesn’t work for you it doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone else.
This. You can translate it also as: If it works for you it doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone else. Some may have poor technique like me.

While primarily a vintage user I did recently get a 6S and T2 and really like the 6S. The feel and weight are really nice and I find all the plates give a great shave and use the R4 the most. I did not like the T2 at all but have not gotten around to listing it yet, but will eventually. The 6S will be staying.

For the OP - I tried several other razors that people mention around here after I got the Rockwell 6s.

Timeless: If you really wanted to try something new - and are ok with plate 3 - I really like the timeless 68. I can switch between the two without much effort. The shaves are very similar. I’d say give a timeless 68 a try - if you really want to get a new razor.

When I start reading too many threads about new razors, I have to stop reading the forum otherwise I’ll end up with a razor I might pay too much for and then sell.

when I bought the second Rockwell 6S for my travel kit, I hadn’t found the “hidden” parts list on their site - now you can navigate to it easy enough… could have bought just one plate, the cap, and a handle with the 20% discount code that kept popping up back then and had a nice travel razor for about $50. I ended up with the full version on sale at $68 or something like that - they’ve increased a bit in price since I bought mine.

I’m going back through blades I had tried out - originally with a Tatara Masamune and two days growth. Doing daily shaves now, using the rockwell (plate 2 or 3), feather AS-D2, timeless 68, and a couple of old techs.

Some blades I still don’t like, others I’m liking a bit better now - technique could be better, could be the shaving every day, could be the different razor specs… even with just technique, revisiting is good.

The Rockwell is easy to get a good shave, as is the timeless (For me). If I had to get down to one razor, it would be a tough call. Probably keep the Rockwell just because of the different plates. It’s utilitarian, and just works.

I can use the R1 plate, but I’ll struggle to get one of those really smooth shaves - I just use it if I’m in a real hurry and don’t need a super close shave - it’s almost mindless. a few pumps of hand soap after a shower, run it over the face a few times, done. Love that for travel.

when I bought the second Rockwell 6S for my travel kit, I hadn’t found the “hidden” parts list on their site - now you can navigate to it easy enough… could have bought just one plate, the cap, and a handle with the 20% discount code that kept popping up back then and had a nice travel razor for about $50. I ended up with the full version on sale at $68 or something like that - they’ve increased a bit in price since I bought mine.
I've found the spare plates for the 6C seem to sell on ebay probably people upgrading from the 2C but unsure about 6S plates as I guess everyone's already got them all. Still the ones you don't need might sell if you wait long enough. Someone might buy the presentation box if you didn't want it

Never thought about selling the boxes. I also never use stands, and they came with those too. Might list that stuff up for sale. Good advice, thanks!

Tried plate #1 today - not the best shave as I had to do about 4 passes along with some buffing, but had absolutely no irritation afterwards. Going to be trying #2 tomorrow which should definitely result in a little more efficiency.

#3 has always been my sweet spot, but my face (mainly my neck) just can’t handle that 5-6 days a week without turning into hamburger meat by the end lol. I know it’s mostly technique, and I’m sure I’ll get it - I love my Rockwell though

Rockwell 6s has been my primary razor for some years, considering that I have more than 20 razors. I have been using shavettes and straight razors this year 95% of the time. I regretly putted my 6s on bst with a good discount. And I found out regretly that none showed interest to ask about it.

Maybe it is destiny to keep it.. 😂 😂 Let's see.

Plate #2 was a far better shave experience tonight. Efficient enough, but without being overly aggressive and causing irritation. Could easily be my new daily driver setting.

Now, if it’s 2+ days of growth, Plate #3 would be my go-to for sure

I just received my 6S in the mail today and have just finished up shaving with it for the first time. Fit and finish is nice. There is a little blade play that you must line up while tightening the handle. It is very little. About like my Merkur Progress. I ordered mine by the peices rather than the whole boxed set. I got the 1/3 plate. Total was $70 straight from Rockwell. It shaves almost identical to my pre-war fat handle Gillette tech with the #3 plate. I did two passes (wtg & atg) and got 98% of a BBS shave like I get with my Gillette tech and SuperSpeed.

Edit- I just noticed that the blade play is only when the head and plate is loose. Once tightened the bow of the blade tightend it against the head posts aligning itself. Disregard that in the above. I cannot find fault with it now.

I can definitely recommend these now. I am happy that I ordered one. I may order a 2/4 plate in the near future to compare.

Rockwell_b.jpg

Last edited:
I just received my 6S in the mail today and have just finished up shaving with it for the first time. Fit and finish is nice. There is a little blade play that you must line up while tightening the handle. It is very little. About like my Merkur Progress. I ordered mine by the peices rather than the whole boxed set. I got the 1/3 plate. Total was $70 straight from Rockwell. It shaves almost identical to my pre-war fat handle Gillette tech with the #3 plate. I did two passes (wtg & atg) and got 98% of a BBS shave like I get with my Gillette tech and SuperSpeed.

I can definitely recommend these now. I am happy that I ordered one. I may order a 2/4 plate in the near future to compare.

View attachment 1869244

Glad you like it! I’ve been using a different DE the last week and feel like I’ve been cheating on my 6S lol. I’ll definitely get back to it soon as it’s a wonderfully razor deserving of all its praise

Has anyone had any issue with the paint on the 6S? I've seen earlier discussions on it and it is making me hesitant to get one in color. Do we have any idea how prevalent that issue was/is to begin with?

Out of all the modern DE razors I own (two, 6S and Henson Al+), the Rockwell gets the most love. I used mine recently, and compared to my vintage razors, it was an easy, drama-free shave. I can’t say whether it was better or not, but the weight was nice. My 1-4 plates have been stored away, since I only use the 5 and 6. Mostly 6. I rarely shave my mustache, so the bulky head doesn’t bother me. I have shaved my mustache with it in the past, and don’t remember anything about it that was worse than anything else I’ve used. I only mess with that area with straights lately. The matte finish is pretty easily polished

i started my de jouney with a wilkison sword black plastic thing then went to a copy of the murkur future then a rockwell 6c but soon went over to the 6s and thats where ive stayed for the last 2 years apart from my open comb plate that gets used to do the nape of my neck .

Rockwell usually has discounts too… used to be you could click around on the site for a short time, and a 20% off code would pop up.

right now, on social media, there are two different discounts… a 4th of July weekend one “15OFF” and a wedding season one “GIFT15”… so anyone on the fence, that’s a nice push for that RAD.

Top Bottom