What's new

Sole Oil

The price difference is more than what I would have expected. After a quick search, in the NL (and DE as well), Burgol is 19.99 EUR while Saphir is 20.95 EUR. I remember buying the Saphir for 17 EUR a few years ago though, but that shop doesn't seem to carry it anymore.
I looked the prices up on AZ as I got the Burgol from there but haven't checked the Saphir in detail. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any B&M near me that carries stuff like this to compare prices side by side.

I looked the prices up on AZ as I got the Burgol from there but haven't checked the Saphir in detail. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any B&M near me that carries stuff like this to compare prices side by side.
Oh, I didn't mean it like you're doing an unfair comparison between the two products. I was simply thinking that around you, the distribution of the Saphir products might simply be more restricted and the shipping cost ads up to the final price.

In the end, I don't know if there is much of a difference in quality between Burgol and Saphir. Don't know what oils they use as they don't specify, but I would expect they work very similarly.

If my assumption is correct, would it be worth sourcing a product from a different country if you can find a similar one locally? Most likely not, but that's up to everyone to decide what's best for them..

🥂

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't mean it like you're doing an unfair comparison between the two products. I was simply thinking that around you, the distribution of the Saphir products might simply be more restricted and the shipping cost ads up to the final price.

In the end, I don't know if there is much of a difference in quality between Burgol and Saphir. Don't know what oils they use as they don't specify, but I would expect they work very similarly.

If my assumption is correct, would it be worth sourcing a product from a different country if you can find a similar one locally? Most likely not, but that's up to everyone to decide what's best for them..

🥂
Oh no worries, I've used a simple Timberland leather wax before so my experience is limited anyway. The oil is much more convenient to apply. Going by the pics the Burgol is a bit cloudy - I can confirm this - in contrast to the clear Saphir. Given the amount you use the price difference is neglible.

Burgol soie oil sounds good. I am not seeing a handy US source for any of these sole oil products, and they seem expensive for what they are. Not that I am going to stop buying them. I agree that one does not really use all that much of the product in applying it, so it is not a huge expense. I do tend to like and trust the Saphir more, but it is not as easy to apply as, say, the Colourlock and, I am guessing, the Burgol.

I've used a simple Timberland leather wax
You used Timberland leather wax on leather soles? Is that a use Timberland suggests? How was it?

Actually, I have never found a source that recommends it, but I am guessing a regular "boot oil" would do fine for soles. And it may be that regular old neatsfoot oil would do it, although I would lean to something not so petroleum based for my expensive dress shoes. Maybe mink oil I did see a reference that suggested using neutral shoe polish on soles to keep them nourished. That seems potentially slick to me, and I would think that since we are not trying for shiny soles there are lots of other products that would be better and more "nourishing."

Burgol soie oil sounds good. I am not seeing a handy US source for any of these sole oil products, and they seem expensive for what they are. Not that I am going to stop buying them. I agree that one does not really use all that much of the product in applying it, so it is not a huge expense. I do tend to like and trust the Saphir more, but it is not as easy to apply as, say, the Colourlock and, I am guessing, the Burgol.

You used Timberland leather wax on leather soles? Is that a use Timberland suggests? How was it?

Actually, I have never found a source that recommends it, but I am guessing a regular "boot oil" would do fine for soles. And it may be that regular old neatsfoot oil would do it, although I would lean to something not so petroleum based for my expensive dress shoes. Maybe mink oil I did see a reference that suggested using neutral shoe polish on soles to keep them nourished. That seems potentially slick to me, and I would think that since we are not trying for shiny soles there are lots of other products that would be better and more "nourishing."
It doesn't say soles in the description but it's only beeswax and coconut oil so I thought I could get away with it.

I used it last year on the brink of autumn when the weather was getting wetter and I didn't see any ill effects on the soles. Not slippery and kept the wetness at bay. Caveat not the easiest to apply and took a while to soak in and dry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom