What's new

Sipping/Mixing Bourbon

I have a question for the bourbon people on the forum. I am getting ready to take a vacation and want to purchase some bourbon to take with me. I am new to the bourbon world and have only tried Jim Beam and Maker's and would like to try something different. I plan on making some mixed drinks, as well as drinking it on the rocks. So I would like some suggestions on a good bourbon that would serve both purposes.

Many Bourbon, whiskey and scotch people by and large drink it straight. The reason is ice ruins the subtile nuances that make your whisky preferable to you. So what do you like? Peat or heaviness, deep rich caramel, rye, sharp raw spirits. Each whisky has its own qualities that sell to some and are disliked by others. You need to try quite a few. Bulleitt is a good sipping whiskey! I like Sam Houston because it has a lot of caramel or malt and it's not heavy handed with the rye or grain alcohol. Brooks, Bakers, knob creek, Rebecca Creek are also good choices. Sometimes the best way is to find a good pub and order several shots straight up and compare them side by side. You will find what you like. Just please do yourself a favor and skip the ice.

I second Buffalo Trace. It's my go to bourbon for sipping and mixing.

As for how to drink it? Drink it however you like. :thumbup:

I personally wasn't a big fan of Buffalo Trace, but to each their own. It may help to hear what you liked better between Beam and Makers. Makers is a wheater, and I don't care for the buttery taste/flavor I get from it. Beam white label is ok. If you liked it, you may step up and try the black label which is aged a little longer and has a fuller flavor. There are a TON of options, so try to not be afraid to try new things. A couple of my favorites to date are Eagle Rare, and then George Dickel 12 or Gentleman Jack for Tennessee Whiskeys.

I'm more of a scotch guy, but I bought a bottle of George Dickel at a whisky tasting this week. Blew me away, especially at the price point.

I rather like Jim Beam myself, but a even less expensive bourbon that has a great taste is Evan Williams. I also second the Buffalo Trace recommendations.

Can't go wrong with Evan Williams black for a all around solid bourbon that can be mixed or enjoyed on the rocks. Yea there is better stuff out there, but you won't be cringing when your buddy comes over and mixes your Basil Hayden's with Coke

Another vote for Evan Williams, great any way you pour it.

My current exclusive sippers are Blanton's, or Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, neat.

I like Knob Creek, but Gentleman Jack makes a great Old Fashioned. If money is no object, and you can find it, Pappy Van Wrinkle 20yr old is supreme! Sipping only tho, that stuff is too good to mix.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've tried these and like them all Woodford Reserve, Four Roses small batch, Bowman Brothers small batch, Buffalo Trace, and Bernhiem original wheat whiskey. I don't know about mixing these as I always drink my bourbon neat. I sipping on Buffalo Trace while I'm typing this and I'm really enjoying it. I've had Eagle Rare and I thought it was ok. Just the taste left me wanting more flavor.

Top Bottom