What's new

Short Story Reading Group "Why Don't You Dance?"

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I gathered that he was a lonely man, pausing before moving on, and in his loneliness, he was trying desperately to reach out to the couple. Some kind of connection. He was doubtful that he had made such a connection as he was unable to interpret whether the look on their faces was benign or malignant. The author further intimated the mans attempt at making a connection in the description of how he had gifted the record player and records to the couple, who unlike the man, found no value whatsoever in his gift.

I've briefly thought about the trying to make a connection interpretation as well. From what I get out of it, it was more of an attempt to rid himself of reminders of his previous relationship.

The closing of the story, where the girl had tried to talk it out, trying to get a clue through telling others, what was really happening with this man and his belongings in the front yard.
She was never able to explain away the unknowns that she experienced, which finally resulted in her just giving up on it and she quit trying to understand what had happened.

This is what I love about the story. I feel that it's her feelings that she can't seem to talk out. She seemed confident and in control throughout most of the story, so it seems that her own inability to describe her experience might be critical of the way she was handling how she acted.

The author of the story has placed us in the exact position that the girl wound up in. “She kept talking. She told everyone. There was more to it, and she was trying to get it talked out. After a time, she quit trying.”

Great way of seeing it. I've read some reviews that express that she might be the main character. With that interpretation, the last few lines do indeed put us in her position.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I didn't realize short stories would be so weird :lol:

If this continues, then you're in for a wild ride. :biggrin1:

Was it a dream? Was the man divorced? or widowed? Or maybe the man was imagining himself and his departed wife. I doubt I'm intellectual enough to think much more about it.

The dream or imagination concept is an interesting one. I like it. No need to be considered an intellectual. It's all art and expression. Art is meant to provoke thoughts or emotions. As long as you're feeling something, that's all that matters.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I love Carver stories because they are so specific and simultaneously so vague.

Exactly. I figured this would be a decent first read since it was fairly open ended, and wasn't too polarizing or genre specific.

For those who enjoy Carver, Robert Altman's film Short Cuts is based mainly on Carver stories.

There's a Will Farrell film titled Everything Must Go, which is loosely based off of this story. I don't remember being too impressed with the film, but it's an example of what can be done with a story with an open interpretation of what's going on.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
As is well known, I am barely literate but will contribute as well as I can.

On the contrary, I think you're one of the more expressive and articulate members that we have.

The way I'm setting this up is that you should be free to follow along, and contribute as you see fit. I'll probably post the next story in the next day or two, but you'll still be able to continue with discussion about this story. I still need to respond to a handful of comments in this thread.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I am a huge fan of Raymond Carver and this short story did not disappoint at all.

I'm glad you liked it. Was this your first reading of the story? I knew this one, "Cathedral", and "Where I'm Calling From" until just recently. I picked up What We Talk About When We Talk About Love a few months ago, and am excited to get to know more of his work.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I can't figure out if it matters whether he's having a lawn sale of sorts, or putting everything out in the lawn as a dare or confrontation with the neighborhood, or what. It seems early on that he doesn't blame people for not stopping, which undercuts the idea he's trying to sell anything, but then again maybe he doesn't care, or is reflecting on his poor planning.

In times of desperation or despair, I've gone through the motions of productivity without actually deliberately achieving anything. The man might be in a similar mindset. It's like getting ready for a social function and putting on a smile when it's the last thing that one wants to do.

Whatever other things the neighbors saw over the years, it does sound like this guy has some need to play it out publicly. He didn’t just put the stuff out, he hooked it up so that it all functioned too.

I never thought about that possibility, which is funny because I've known a few couples who've done that over social media.

I'm glad you liked it. Was this your first reading of the story? I knew this one, "Cathedral", and "Where I'm Calling From" until just recently. I picked up What We Talk About When We Talk About Love a few months ago, and am excited to get to know more of his work.

First time reading this one, but have read Where I’m Calling From and What We Talk About When We Talk About Love multiple times. The latter has many of the stories that Altman stitched together in Short Cuts.

Top Bottom