What's new

Rockwell 6S - Not a close shave

I used the 6S last night and I couldn't get a close shave. I tried every setting. I had to finish with a sensor excel to get baby smooth. I feel like the head is too bulky, and and I can't get the angles of my jaw and neck. I also have a Van Der Hagen, and that provided a better shave. Any razors out there with a smaller head that can produce a real close shave? I feel like I overpaid for this razor.

More information, please.

Was this your first shave with the razor? What plate are you using? What is your beard type? What angle are you using?

I get great shaves using plate 4. It's basically an intuitive razor for me - no muss, no fuss.

Many on this forum get great shaves from the 6S. Perhaps it doesn't work for you, but I wouldn't give up until you've looked at all your inputs and had a few more shaves with it.

Also, what blade? I find the 6S more tolerant of less sharp blades, but the shave won’t be as close, I’ll have to go up a plate number… and I’ve got a thin beard with thin whiskers.

More information, please.

Was this your first shave with the razor? What plate are you using? What is your beard type? What angle are you using?

I get great shaves using plate 4. It's basically an intuitive razor for me - no muss, no fuss.

Many on this forum get great shaves from the 6S. Perhaps it doesn't work for you, but I wouldn't give up until you've looked at all your inputs and had a few more shaves with it.
First shave with this razor. Thick coarse beard. Started at 4 and went up to 6. I used the blades that came with the razor and then changed to Gillette Silver Blue. Both felt the same.

I tried one shave with a Rockwell blade and pitched them. That said, it doesn't seem too fussy with blades to me. Maybe try a Feather blade?

The angle to me seems pretty intuitive, but not riding the cap or the safety bar.

What other razors have you tried? If you have a thick, course beard, perhaps something like a Muhle R41 or a Merkur Futur might be more to your liking.

First welcome to B&B. Sorry that you are having problems with your Rockwell 6S. You mentioned that this was the first shave with this razor. Have you used a DE razor before? If you have not used one before it does take a bit of time to learn to use one. It will not be instant great shaves with it, I am afraid. They are a different beast and takes a bit of time to learn to use one. However, fear not, you have come to the right place here on B&B. There are plenty of people here that can help answering all your questions and also many good tutorials here as well regarding all kinds of aspects of DE shaving. Once you learn the 6S, which is well regarded by many here on B&B, you will get great shaves with it.

I used the 6S last night and I couldn't get a close shave. I tried every setting. I had to finish with a sensor excel to get baby smooth. I feel like the head is too bulky, and and I can't get the angles of my jaw and neck. I also have a Van Der Hagen, and that provided a better shave. Any razors out there with a smaller head that can produce a real close shave? I feel like I overpaid for this razor.
I suggest you play with the shaving angle rather than change from plate to plate.

First shave with this razor. Thick coarse beard. Started at 4 and went up to 6. I used the blades that came with the razor and then changed to Gillette Silver Blue. Both felt the same.
My first shave was also with a Rockwell blade and didn't like it at all. I also have thick course beard and the 6S works quite well for me. What do you do for prep? I always get a much better shave after shower. I recently learned that lathering the beard in the shower with soap and warm water helps the prep even more. Plate #3 works best for me for DD. If it's a few day's growth, then #5 or 6 first pass, then #3 on second pass.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have the 6C (the zamak version) and found it always gives great shaves, although not the best. Yes the head is too bulky, especially under the nose, but you can get around that on the XTG pass.
I see from your profile you joined today so I will assume, correct me if I'm wrong, that you are not an experienced DE shaver. As another member already mentioned the Rockwell blades are not the best so perhaps a different blade is in order.
DE shaving is a skill, like swimming or riding a bike, the more you do it the better you get, so don't be disheartened by your early experiences.

1) Stick with one razor and blade (best to go with a popular one, they are popular for a reason) in the beginning until you become proficient, use short strokes.
2) Try just one WTG pass first and finish off with your Sensor Excel, when you are happy with that add a second XTG pass and only once you're happy with that do an ATG pass.
3) Beards grow In all different directions so you may need to map the directions of growth and use that to inform the exact angles of your strokes (I have to do a kind of J shaped stroke on my neck XTG pass)
4) You can have all the razors and equipment in the world, but if you don't have the shaving fundamentals down you will never get a good shave. Most decent setups will give a decent shave regardless as long as you can use it.
5) The best item you have in your shaving arsenal is B&B, there is hundreds of years of shaving experience here and few questions have never been asked. The members here will always do their best to answer your queries, remember there are no stupid questions and nobody will jump on you for asking a question, and we all have an opinion on everything to do with shaving which we are only to keen to share.

Hope this helps

There is a learning curve with any new razor, patience and perseverance are required. One often forgotten tip is the importance of skin stretching, even with DE or SE razors. I found my DE technique improved immensely when I tried the same skin stretches that I use with straights.

I used the 6S with plate 4 every day for years. Fantastic for my light-to-medium beard. However, as soon as I started shaving only every 3-4 days, I found other razors more efficient. A lot depends on how heavy your beard is, how often you shave, how you shave, etc.

My guess is that the blade didn't work with that razor. Try another blade.
In addition, as others have said, make sure your technique is proper. The right angle. Short strokes, etc.
It's hard to believe a Rockwell 6S can't deliver a close shave, particularly with the R6 plate in.
I have the 6C and get great shaves with it ...

Razor are like Running Shoes just because you have 10.5 Foot that is Medium Wide, all Running Shoes are built on differsnt molds. Personally cold never wear a Reebok, or New Balance without getting blisters. Asics, Nikes, or Saconeys always fit and felt best.

Back in the day when you had few Razor’s too choose from, large percentage of people used Gillette’s, Blue Blades, and were happy.

Sometimes too many choices is bad thing.

Thanks for the replies. I have used a butterfly Van Der Hagen with the same blade and it worked a little better. If I gave it time I think I could probably make it work. I think a more streamlined head would work better for me. I'm going to keep looking.

Thanks for the replies. I have used a butterfly Van Der Hagen with the same blade and it worked a little better. If I gave it time I think I could probably make it work. I think a more streamlined head would work better for me. I'm going to keep looking.

I'm trying to understand your situation. You shaved with the Rockwell with R6 plate in and at least 2 passes ? (with the grain and against the grain) and you still don't have a close shave ?

If so it is really strange and you must have the angle way off because with R6, a sharp blade and several passes I don't think any beard could resist the shave.

I would try other sharp blades (Wizamet Super iridium, Gillette Nacet, Perma-Sharp) and try to get used to the angle before really giving up on this razor because with all its settings, everyone usually find 1 or 2 that work for them. I know I have really coarse beard but I can shave with the Rockwell 6s on R5 with a sharp blade like a Gillette Nacet everyday and get a really close shave (BBS).

Worst case scenario if you ever decide to give up and want a slim head and a razor that is more efficient (but also more aggressive) I would check out the Razorock Lupo 72.

I recently purchased a Rockwell 6s and I've been quite happy with it. I have to say I did some much more thorough experimentation. I shaved 6 times in a row with it (about every 2 days), changing the plates each time (1 to 6). I used the same blade each time (Astra SP). I also used the same brush (Omega Elite), although I didn't control for the variable of soap, but I'm usually able to get a good lather consistently nowadays. In the end not sure you can really create much of a conclusion after only one shave.

Practice makes perfect. Lots of little variables that need to be mastered or accounted for, starting with technique and knowledge of how your beard grows (direction). Good prep, slick soap, sharp blade, proper angles….

Been using my Rockwell exclusively for 11 months. I use plates 3 and 4 mostly. With plate 4 I need fewer passes, especially under my chin. Also, unlike my early days, I now almost never change plates, I just use the plate needed for the amount of growth. This morning, with 2 days growth, I used plate 4. Just one pass for the cheeks, and two passes for chin, and some touch up. Ariana and Evans shave soap.

Top Bottom