What's new

RIP Donald Sutherland

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
His role as X in JFK was as amazing as it gets.
With his role shot sitting on a park bench, physical acting was out of the question.
He pulled it off with only nuance, articulation, rhythm, and intonation.
A feat that can't be matched by todays CGI dependent actors.

Donald Sutherland was a talent actor, play many part pulled most off well. He a was old school, who did not look great because of special effects, or computed aided graphics.

Very sad to hear this.

Excellent actor, with great versatility and presence.

His first appearances were as bit parts in early-mid 1960's English TV dramas and he can often be found in old re-runs, if you watch carefully. He first appeared in Hammer horror movies in film, with Christopher Lee.

A wonderful and storied film career followed.

May his memory be a blessing.
So well said, Simon.
Sutherland was a unique character in looks and voice and always drew your attention when he was on the screen. One of the really, really good ones.
May he rest forever in a peaceful place.

So well said, Simon.
Sutherland was a unique character in looks and voice and always drew your attention when he was on the screen. One of the really, really good ones.
May he rest forever in a peaceful place.
His performance as the unreliable IRA operative in the 1976 film The Eagle Has Landed is electric. He dominates every scene.

The fight in the churchyard with the village bully is epic.

His performance as the unreliable IRA operative in the 1976 film The Eagle Has Landed is electric. He dominates every scene.

Just a wonderful actor. I'm not a huge fan of motion pictures anymore but if there's a movie with Sutherland in it, I'll probably drop in for a look just because he was such a captivating actor. If anything, he was underrated. His son Kiefer wrote a nice tribute to him. I don't have the link but I'm sure a quick search would produce it. :thumbsup:

His son Kiefer wrote a nice tribute to him. I don't have the link but I'm sure a quick search would produce it. :thumbsup:
"With a heavy heart, I tell you that my father, Donald Sutherland, has passed away. I personally think one of the most important actors in the history of film. Never daunted by a role, good, bad or ugly. He loved what he did and did what he loved, and one can never ask for more than that. A life well lived."

Kiefer Sutherland 20/06/24

"With a heavy heart, I tell you that my father, Donald Sutherland, has passed away. I personally think one of the most important actors in the history of film. Never daunted by a role, good, bad or ugly. He loved what he did and did what he loved, and one can never ask for more than that. A life well lived."

Kiefer Sutherland 20/06/24
Nicely done, Kiefer. We all will miss him but none as much as you.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member

I will need to revisit that. I saw it but can't remember a thing from 1976. Well, a few memories ...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That was the last Sutherland movie I saw -- wow, was he ever creepy! The suspense had me on the edge of my seat.
Creepy for sure, but he managed to play it as if he was disappointed with himself for being the creepy guy.
Not that he would change, but that he accepted that he was evil, and was on some level saddened by his own evilness.

Oddball was my favorite role of his. Also excellent as President Snow in the hunger games. Only thing I would have changed about the hunger games role would have been to have him edge the beard

The latest movie of Sutherland's I've seen is 2020's "Alone", about a young man trapped in his apartment during a zombie apocalypse.

He is discovered by Donald Sutherland, who is another survivor in the apartment building. I was visiting my parents that weekend, watching this with my Mom.

I said, "Mom, this is a horror movie. If Sutherland is in this, it means he is doing something horrible and can't be trusted."

I was 100% correct. You don't put Sutherland in a horror movie so he can be the director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir!

Top Bottom