What's new

Razors similar to Lambda Athena or Yates Merica

I can't help reading MRed as Mr. Ed.

1718892789789.gif

@SaguaroSmart my bad, sorry! But I learnt of a new razor maker I was not even aware of this way, thanks! :)

I might have seen his work before, the fancy handles remind me of someone who did this already for a while but didn't have a shop years ago.

Edit: Damn, he is from Clermont-Ferrand! As medieval studies/era afficionado this city is among the places I just have to visit one day!

Clermont-Ferrand is an interesting city. Quite unique as a lot of its medieval and historical architecture is built with what the French call "Pierre de volvic" which is a volcanic stone ranging from light grey to nearly black. So many buildings are made of a stone that can look like slate, it gives a different atmosphere to the place.

It definitely has its share of old and fascinating history. Vercingetorix, Gallic King of the Arverni Tribe inflicted a huge defeat to the legions of Caesar which was a bit unexpected. He eventually had to surrender after a siege at Alesia and was executed in Rome but the French look at him as a brave King that tried to unique the Celtic tribes against the Roman invasion.

Later on Clermont-Ferrand was also the place where the council with Pope Urban II was held and council which included the call to arms for the 1st Christian Crusade that eventually left to the Christian Armies capturing Jerusalem and establishing the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Anyway, there is plenty more to read about the place.

Last edited:
Here are my MRed razors (3 in front). Also the three front brushes are from him. The middle one has a brass core that screws up and down to change length and balance point. The mug is his also.
View attachment 1865410

Nice collection, I really like his designs, and use of many different materials. His brushes are really interesting as well. Would you say the #4CS head is in the same range of efficiency as the Blackbird ?

Nice collection, I really like his designs, and use of many different materials. His brushes are really interesting as well. Would you say the #4CS head is in the same range of efficiency as the Blackbird ?
Pretty much. Maybe a slight edge to the Bird. I won't use a Feather in either of them; put in a Dorco Prime, Treet Dura Sharp, or a Suneko, and the only difference is the OC feel of the Bird. To me - YMMV, as usual.

I meant the middle razor adjusts it's center of gravity. The other two are "lightsabers". The brush on the right is carved in an amazingly realistic snakeskin pattern. The middle brush is carbon fiber, steel, brass, titanium, aluminum and resin. The far left is a jack-o-lantern at the top.
Those Brush handles are gorgeous, specially the middle one. I'm very interested in the 4CS head. had a Chat with Michael and he's an amazingly nice Bloke. Asked him about his 3C head which was supposed to be Merkur Futur on 5 or more efficiency but he doesn't make that one anymore. He also stopped manufacturing the 4G which was the Gun Metal Finished Head.

I did inquire about getting a No.4 Head in Stainless Steel and he mentioned that getting it done in SS would change the cost drastically for him, he is an Artisan for Brush and Razor handles but even though the Head designs are his, he has them manufactured from out. Zinc Alloy helps him keep the cost down and concentrate more on the Handles he creates.

Pretty much. Maybe a slight edge to the Bird. I won't use a Feather in either of them; put in a Dorco Prime, Treet Dura Sharp, or a Suneko, and the only difference is the OC feel of the Bird. To me - YMMV, as usual.
So Mate, According to Michael he designed the 4CS to deliver the same efficiency as the R41 but in a smoother manner, would you say that is true?

I have used the Bird SB and it is a magnificent tool. I found it efficient but always needed to do touch ups with it even with following Shane's instructions. On the other hand and this is just a personal view, I find the R41 a two pass BBS razor for me, one of my favs. Would you say that the Bird SB and OC are more efficient than the 4CS.

And what is shaving with the 4 CS like, akin to any other Razor? Really keen on knowing this.

Not hijacking the topic but since we were on the topic of the Mred 4CS head, I found a few like it. I woUldn't call them clones but more like modifications by the Chinese Companies or rather maybe inspired by the 4CS design.

THE COLORLAMB RAZOR

Colorlamb.png

THE WEIDI RAZOR

Weidi.png

THE YAQI ZEPHYR CAPSULE (FOUND THIS THROUGH @Guido75 )

Yaqi Zephyr 1.png
Yaqi Zephyr 1.1.png

THE IRAZOR (This is a Butterfly Variation)

Irazor.png

THE ORIGINAL 4CS

Mred.jpg

THE FULL MRED LINE UP WITH THE 2N, 3C and 4 G NOT IN PRODUCTION ANYMORE.

Mred collection.jpg

So Mate, According to Michael he designed the 4CS to deliver the same efficiency as the R41 but in a smoother manner, would you say that is true?

I have used the Bird SB and it is a magnificent tool. I found it efficient but always needed to do touch ups with it even with following Shane's instructions. On the other hand and this is just a personal view, I find the R41 a two pass BBS razor for me, one of my favs. Would you say that the Bird SB and OC are more efficient than the 4CS.

And what is shaving with the 4 CS like, akin to any other Razor? Really keen on knowing this.
It's definitely smoother than the bird or the R41. I'd guess with a Feather or Wizamat I'd be hard press to tell the difference between bird or 4cs. I'd also guess the R41 would beat both in efficiency (at the cost of my face). It's been a while since I've used my R41, so I may be exaggerating my memory of it.

It's definitely smoother than the bird or the R41. I'd guess with a Feather or Wizamat I'd be hard press to tell the difference between bird or 4cs. I'd also guess the R41 would beat both in efficiency (at the cost of my face). It's been a while since I've used my R41, so I may be exaggerating my memory of it.
Thanks for that Mate. Valuable insights from you. I never found the R41 to be threatening, matter of fact it was smooth and fairly mild. Having said that, I have the tamest of the R41 versions, the 2019. Would love to use the 2013 or 2011 versions one day.

Top Bottom