What's new

Razor Blade Test

This is an attempt to document my completely subjective, biased, and unscientific razor blade study! Given I have just purchased a sample pack of razor blades, I figured keeping track of the shave quality might be of some use, at least to me. Anything I should should include, think about, let me know. I have been shaving with a straight razor and DE for a very long time, so my technique is pretty repeatable.

The setup:

Each blade will be tested on all three razors: Merkur 34c, Merkur Slant, Merkur Vision: largest gap

Other variables will remain the same each day: 3 passes in all directions, Cella Soap, Rudy Vey Brush, Doug Smith Scuttle lather, Pinaud Clubman Aftershave

The results:

Shave closeness easy areas 1 to 5, 5 being closest

Shave closeness challenging areas 1 to 5, 5 being closest

Shaving smoothness 1 to 5, 5 being smoothest

Aftershave Burn 1 to 5, 5 being least burn

Irritation 1 to 5, 5 least irritation

Average score

Comments

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 1

Blade: Treet Platinum
Razor: Merkur 34c

Shave closeness easy areas: 4
Shave closeness challenging areas: 3
Shaving smoothness: 5
Aftershave Burn: 4
Irritation: 4

Average score: 4

Comments: Really, really smooth blade and very similar in terms of smoothness and sharpness pass to pass. The harder areas are not quiet as close, but that could be razor dependent as well. Will be interesting to try this blade on the slant and vision with more aggressive gaps.

IMG_0873.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 2

Razor: Merkur Slant 37c

Shave closeness challenging areas: 3.5
Aftershave Burn: 3.5
Irritation: 4

Average score: 4

Comments: Really, really smooth blade and very similar in terms of smoothness and sharpness pass to pass. The more aggressive gap of the 37c achieved a closer shave overall with similar shave smoothness and irritation. These blades are VERY smooth, but I think I would like them to be just slightly sharper. My prediction is on the super aggressive Merkur Vision, the blade with skip a bit on the more aggressive passes.

IMG_0878.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 3

Razor: Merkur Vision w/widest gap

Shave closeness challenging areas: 4.5
Shaving smoothness: 4
Aftershave Burn: 2.5
Irritation: 3

Average score: 3.6

Comments: Very, very close shave, but I doubt anyone would ever shave with a razor this aggressive. At the widest gap setting it is basically like shaving with a straight razor. Will likely shave on the smallest gap for the remainder of the test, as even at that setting it is extremely aggressive. Will retest at smaller gap.

IMG_0913.jpeg

Day 4

Blade: Voskhod
Razor: Merkur 34c

Shave closeness easy areas: 4.25
Shave closeness challenging areas: 3.5
Aftershave Burn: 5
Irritation: 5

Average score: 4.55

Comments: Can instantly tell this blade is a bit sharper and stiffer than the Treet Platinum. Gives a really good audible feedback. Very smooth blade, maybe not quite as smooth at the Treet Platinum, but that maybe just perception due to increased sharpness and stiffness. Very similar in terms of smoothness and sharpness pass to pass. The harder areas are better than the Treet Platinum razor to razor. There was virtually zero aftershave burn or irritation at all after 3 aggressive passes. I predict this blade will be phenomenal on a slightly more aggressive razor.

IMG_0925.jpeg

Day 5

Razor: Merkur 37c Slant

Shave closeness easy areas: 4.75
Shave closeness challenging areas: 4.0
Aftershave Burn: 4.5

Average score: 4.65

Comments: This blade is fantastic on a slightly more aggressive razor. Very smooth and very close all around shave. Very similar in terms of smoothness and sharpness pass to pass. The harder areas are better than the Treet Platinum razor to razor. Almost no aftershave burn or irritation at all after 3 aggressive passes.

Sorry forgot to take a picture!

Day 6

Razor: Merkur Vision 2000 lowest gap setting

Shave closeness easy areas: 5.0
Shave closeness challenging areas: 4.0
Aftershave Burn: 4.25

Average score: 4.65

Comments: The Vision 2000 even at the lowest gap setting is more aggressive than nearly any DE razor. The increased aggressiveness didn't really change the shaving characteristics for this blade. I think this is a blade best suited for a medium aggressive razor, like the Merkur 37c slant.

IMG_0951.jpeg

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
If you like the Voskhod, try a Gillette Wilkinson Sword. They are very similar IME and sharpness testing done, I have hundreds. I failed to stock up on Voskhod due to the defective ones from 2016 that were still in the supply line up till at least 2020, likely beyond. I will make more comments about whatever blade you are testing, if wanted.

If you like the Voskhod, try a Gillette Wilkinson Sword. They are very similar IME and sharpness testing done, I have hundreds. I failed to stock up on Voskhod due to the defective ones from 2016 that were still in the supply line up till at least 2020, likely beyond. I will make more comments about whatever blade you are testing, if wanted.
Gillette Wilkinson Sword is next on my list!

Also, make all the comments and suggestions you wish to! The more collaborative the thread the better. I’ve been primarily a straight razor shaver for a long time, so learning and exploring DE razor in greater detail is lots of fun for me. On my days when I was too busy to use a straight razor, I used the Merkur Vision 2000 or 34c with Feather blades for years without really thinking much about it. So fun to experiment a bit.

Last edited:

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
Also, make all the comments and suggestions you wish to! The more collaborative the thread the better. I’ve been primarily a straight razor shaver for a long time, so learning and exploring DE razor in greater detail is lots of fun for me. On my days when I was too busy to use a straight razor, I used the Merkur Vision 2000 or 34c with Feather blades for years without really thinking much about it. So fun to experiment a bit.
That's great, I have been through the straight phase and it really improves a person's technique.

If anyone has any requests, let me know and I will try that blade. I have about 20 different brands to go through so far. Also, welcome any feedback you may have on particular blades and/or blade/razor combos.

Here's a few suggestions:

BIC Chrome Platinum (yellow pack)
Personna Med Prep or Lab Blue (made in USA)
Lord Silver Star (made in Egypt)
Perma-Sharp Super (gold/red pack)
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue
Dorco Prime (made in Vietnam)

I'm not sure which blades you have in your sampler, though.

LOI Titanium and Sharp Titanium are very similar, if not the same.

ASCO, Lord Cool and Big Ben are fairly similar.

Astra SS (blue pack) is better than Astra SP (green pack) IMHO, yet the Astra SP seem to be more popular. It's a mystery.

Derby Extra is on the dull side. They seem to work well in 37c slant, though.

I bought a Rockwell 6c today, so will be testing some on that. Also will be testing on my grandfather's 1958 Fatboy! Just received it today, and sent it out to Razor Emporium to be cleaned and tuned up. That will be very fun.

I have a ton of straight razors, now it seems I'm destined to have a ton of DE razors as well!
IMG_0966.jpeg

I'm semi late to your journal, welcome. I too had a time with straights, I never really sat down to figure out the honing aspect of it, therefore I came back to my DEs for the time being, till I figure out how to fit learning to hone into my schedule. My DE technique improved dramatically from my time using the straights. You're well on your way to figuring out the DE blades as well, it is a very much YMMV kind of thing.

Day 7 (Revised, I was actually using plate #1!)

Razor: Rockwell 6c #1

Shave closeness easy areas: 3.5
Shave closeness challenging areas: 2.5
Aftershave Burn: 5

Average score: 4.2

Comments: Really smooth but not a very close shave, to be expected with the #1 plate. Might be a bit of user error as this was my first shave with this razor. I was likely riding the bar/cap on a few passes. Will test this again with plate #3 later. This razor is far less aggressive with plate #1 than I’m used to. Traveling and only brought some Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades with me. Will try these on the #3 plate tomorrow.

Top Bottom