What's new

Proraso revisited (Red). Amazing.

Had my first use of Proraso Red this morning and love it. The scent is not what I expected but quite nice and I didn't find it too strong at all.

Nice!

Isn‘t amazing that with all the great ”high end“ products out there - and don’t get me wrong, I love ‘em - you have Proraso widely available off shelves, at a really attractive price?

I love the Red too albeit I find I prefer other scent options during these warmer months.

I believe I will always have a tube of red in my drawer, and it makes a great gift to friends who shave too - that is, especially those who might not yet be converted to our ways. If you drop a tub of Aqua di Parma or something on their head it might be a little too much too soon. But you can give them a tube of Proraso and it is not…over the top, I guess.

I have the vintage Red tin with the pre shave, cream and AS that I have had for at least 4 or 5 years and it is one of the few Sandalwood scents I like. I just looked and it doesn't say super formula on it but it is a nice shave cream though. I ordered some Proraso Blue and that just showed up today so I will try it in an upcoming shave. That one does say super formula on the back of the tube so will see how it compares to the Red that is the old formula.

I love mine... second only to Proraso's Single Edge Wood and Spice.
17195349081388715707331589148541.jpg

Last edited:
Proraso was the first I used when I started wayyy back in February…huh hem of this year 🤣 but seriously it’s been the standard by which I judge other soaps/creams. I am very fond of the green and red. I have yet to try blue though.

I found the same with the red. Initially, I loved the scent, then suddenly it turned my stomach...not sure what happened but I found it cloying and tossed it. My preference is the blue also.
Interesting reaction. I had a similar response to wearing patchouli. I loved it for years. The worked with someone who drowned herself in a very poor quality one and very shortly after that had to stop wearing it completely. I will occasionally pick up a bar of patchouli soap and enjoy it, but can't do that on a regular basis; and it has to be a very particular quality and aroma.

I've chalked up my turn to a couple of things. (I hate saying what I'm about to say....) As we get on in revs around the sun, hormonal shifts in our bodies can change how we perceive certain flavors and aromas (related as taste begins with the nose.) Ones we loved will quite suddenly become pubic enemy number one.

Curious, what is the aroma of the blue?

Interesting reaction. I had a similar response to wearing patchouli. I loved it for years. The worked with someone who drowned herself in a very poor quality one and very shortly after that had to stop wearing it completely. I will occasionally pick up a bar of patchouli soap and enjoy it, but can't do that on a regular basis; and it has to be a very particular quality and aroma.

I've chalked up my turn to a couple of things. (I hate saying what I'm about to say....) As we get on in revs around the sun, hormonal shifts in our bodies can change how we perceive certain flavors and aromas (related as taste begins with the nose.) Ones we loved will quite suddenly become pubic enemy number one.

I'm the same with lavender scent. Liked it until I worked with a guy wore a synthetic smelling version, and he must have applied heaps of it, and since then, I don't like to even get a whif of it. Strangely, I do like the scent of lavender flowers and crushed leaves.

I'm not good with identifying various components in "complex" scents, so I'll just post the Proraso description, taken from their web site:

...a modern, spicy fragrance with notes of amber and musk.

...and add that it is a pleasantly mild soapy scent, and I think I detect a very slight tingle of something...menthol?...but I don't necessarily get spice, amber, and musk.

To me, it's just nice and clean smelling, without being overbearing.

I'm not good with identifying various components in "complex" scents, so I'll just post the Proraso description, taken from their web site:

...and add that it is a pleasantly mild soapy scent, and I think I detect a very slight tingle of something...menthol?...but I don't necessarily get spice, amber, and musk.

To me, it's just nice and clean smelling, without being overbearing.
Thanks. I'm intrigued and may pick some up.

Top Bottom