What's new

Post shave balm help

I have dry skin after shaving with DE can anyone recommend any post shave palms / gels.

I found the only one that works for me is TOBS SANDALWOOD AFTERSHAVE GEL but I don’t want to be stuck to one scent

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
That's what I used when I first began DE shaving. Lightly scented (as I recall) so it could be used with any aftershave, and seemed to sooth my angry face. Now I find the best balm is my improved technique.
Same. Found Nivea Sensitive very soothing post shave below my jawline when I began DE shaving. I used it less as my technique improved and found real comfort eventually after switching over to straight razors.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Heh. I refer to it as "Nivea Sensitive Men" :)

As a head shaver I use a tiny bit of it in the warm months but don't always need it. (Which is to say that if I forget it won't remind me...) In the winter it's a must, as where I live we can get extremely low humidity when it's cold. If I forget in the winter, it will remind me. How much do I use? Well one little bottle lasts me about a year. Doesn't take much.

O.H.

I’ve switched to using a good quality, unscented, facial moisturiser post shave rather than a shave specific product. I don’t get any irritation so it’s purely for moisturising and skin conditioning. A post shave moistures is probably the best pre-shave you can get.

I like Neutrogena Hydroboost, La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermallergo Crème Légère and CeraVe Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Serum.

I have tried a number of shave balms/gels. TOBS are good and there are several scents that you may like. However, the one that I prefer is "Lather & Wood- Ultra-Soothing After-Shave Balm." They have 4 scents, Barbershop, Bay Rum, Sandalwood, and Unscented." It hydrates your skin leaving it feel silky. You don't need much so a little goes a long way.

Natio calming aftershave balm is another one I've found that works really well for me. Light, not greasy and soothing, with a mild citrus scent.

I have dry skin after shaving with DE can anyone recommend any post shave palms / gels.

I found the only one that works for me is TOBS SANDALWOOD AFTERSHAVE GEL but I don’t want to be stuck to one scent
If you like menthol try 444. It’s fantastic. It’s basically scent free so you can follow it up with any scent you like. It’s got excellent moisturizing properties. A little goes a looong way.

Thayers is a good moisturizer. I have the Lavender and the Rose Petal. I don't use it every shave but when I feel it's needed. Then follow up with an aftershave.

The best balm I have found is Bart’s balm from the U K. The Razor Company is the only retailer in North America that I have found that carries it.

Lucky Tiger Aftershave Tonic. Aloe, calendula, chamomile, witch hazel. Light citrus scent that only hangs on for a minute. I don't shave without it.

I use Witch Hazel by itself from the local CVS pharmacy. While it doesn't moisturize, it works really well for superficial bleeds and soothing a rough shave after some initial burn. Darn cheap too at my local over-priced pharmacy at ~$6USD for 16oz.

Most good quality facial moisturizers will work fine if you need a little soothing due to dry skin. If the shave was rough, use Witch Hazel first to tighten things up and then moisturize. Technique matters, at least for my face post-shave.

I will also second on focusing on your shave. With my Merkur razor, I don't think I ever got a smooth shave. EJ89/Muhle R89 both did more to fix my shave issues than any soap or balm.

That Lucky Tiger looks like just my thing too! Thanks for mentioning it.

I have the matching balms for all 14 of my Stirling splashes. They work very well. If you ever get into Geo F Trumper creams, the matching Skin Foods are superb.

Top Bottom