What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
They were measured by a B&B member here and posted on the big Wolfman thread.
They're not real?
No. Whoever made the chart probably measured some of the razors and then estimated the rest by extrapolating.

Regardless, I have a 0.95 and it has positive blade exposure. That’s very easy to tell, you just need to put the razor against a flat surface.

No. Whoever made the chart probably measured some of the razors and then estimated the rest by extrapolating.

Regardless, I have a 0.95 and it has positive blade exposure. That’s very easy to tell, you just need to put the razor against a flat surface.
Sorry, I meant the 1.15 was verified by James as neutral. So that would make the .95 neutral or even possibly negative.
But I guess you'd know since you've got one and I don't (yet).

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
Sorry, I meant the 1.15 was verified by James as neutral. So that would make the .95 neutral or even possibly negative.
But I guess you'd know since you've got one.
I have none (yet)!
Just to make certain my memory isn’t mistaken I just ran my WR2 0.95 along the side of a flat box. The blade is definitely exposed, and not just slightly.

People always seem to assume the 0.95 is a mild razor but it isn’t at all. I’d say it is medium aggression and pretty efficient. Remember that the 0.95 is the original WR2 gap and for years it was the only gap they offered. The whole reputation of the WR2 as an efficient but comfortable shaver is based on how the 0.95 performs.

I haven’t used a 1.15 so I have no idea about it, but it’s hard for me to believe the exposure is neutral when the 0.95 is positive, but who knows? Would need somebody who has one to try shaving the side of a box or the edge of a piece of paper.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
I got the info from another forum that I can't post here. I just noticed it wasn't a B&B thread!
Unfortunately, it's the same chart on both sites. I was pretty excited about it until Kim confirmed that his 0.95 was positive. It makes sense, regardless of what they say, because the 0.95 is supposed to be closest to the BBS-1 which is positives. There still is a possibility that the exposure doesn't go up linearly or at all on every step. That was my older interpretation of various threads that I read, but can't be proven unless someone has like three of them!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Unfortunately, it's the same chart on both sites. I was pretty excited about it until Kim confirmed that his 0.95 was positive. It makes sense, regardless of what they say, because the 0.95 is supposed to be closest to the BBS-1 which is positives. There still is a possibility that the exposure doesn't go up linearly or at all on every step. That was my older interpretation of various threads that I read, but can't be proven unless someone has like three of them!
It was Richard who has tested the 0.95.... but I just loaded up a German Schick, as there is no glue dots to mess with... and held a credit card against the angle.... The card catches very easily.... so definitely not a negative exposure. I'm used to thinking in thousands of an inch from a former job.... a "regular" human hair is .003"... and the blade exposure is much more than that... a guess? Without a way to actually measure it... I'd say, .005" at least.

Edit: Richard, you have the WR2 0.95 and the Rocnel Elite in both SS and bronze, I think... How would you compare the three. For me, those three are close... and all three are among the most efficient DE razors I own, or at least, the most efficient on my Top Razor list.... Lower medium efficiency, in my own non-verifiable and perhaps nonsensical, subjective scale.

One reason I'm asking is Larry didn't get along with either the 2022 Elite or the 2024 bronze Elite and I'm hoping we can give him a frame of reference... though this might prove difficult. I'm not particularly adept at quantifying these things... I know what works for me... and the WR2 0.95 is perfect... but so are the rest of my Top Razors... SE and DE. I get those 12 hour shaves from them all.

I just checked my shave log and the last time I used the WR2 was a month ago, on 8/15. I remember saying to myself during and after the shave.... I had forgotten how good the WR2 0.95 really is... For me, it's a pleasure to use.

Last edited:
Just to make certain my memory isn’t mistaken I just ran my WR2 0.95 along the side of a flat box. The blade is definitely exposed, and not just slightly.

People always seem to assume the 0.95 is a mild razor but it isn’t at all. I’d say it is medium aggression and pretty efficient. Remember that the 0.95 is the original WR2 gap and for years it was the only gap they offered. The whole reputation of the WR2 as an efficient but comfortable shaver is based on how the 0.95 performs.

I haven’t used a 1.15 so I have no idea about it, but it’s hard for me to believe the exposure is neutral when the 0.95 is positive, but who knows? Would need somebody who has one to try shaving the side of a box or the edge of a piece of paper.
I have a 0.95 and concur, it’s positive. I would also classify it as medium aggression.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
Ok then, if .95 is positive, that's where I'm headed. I mentioned getting the 1.05 or 1.15 because I assumed that the .95 was neutral or negative based on what I've read.
I thought everything you read on the internet was real! 🤣
With no disparagement intended, remember that Kim likes milder razors than you do. If you are going to go for one of the lower gap ones, maybe you should stick with 1.05? @Ckmaui had one and sold it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll list my Modern Top DE Razors, just for fun... I'll attempt to list them in order of efficiency as best I can.... But so many of them are tied in that regard.

1. WR2 0.95
2. Rocnel Elite, both 2022 SS and 2024 Bronze
3. Lambda Athena
4. Timeless hybrid 0.68OCs... Scalloped Bronze Cap/Titanium 0.68OC base plate. Scalloped Titanium Cap/SS 0.68OC base plate
5. Yaqi Mellon SS
6 Goodfellas' Smile Bayonetta
7. Timeless Bronze 0.38SB
8. PAA Filament

I also have a Timeless Ti SlimBB. I combined a Scalloped Bronze Cap with a Titanium SlimSB base plate. Others have said it is among their most efficient razors. Of course, the OC model is more efficient. I can't say I've felt the same thing when I've used it... I only have a couple shaves in with it but I haven't found it all that efficient. I get much better shaves with either of my 0.68OCs. This one might end up on BST, but not before I try it a few more times.

I can't say I've felt the same thing when I've used it... I only have a couple shaves in with it but I haven't found it all that efficient. I get much better shaves with either of my 0.68OCs. This one might end up on BST, but not before I try it a few more times.
Well, you know I returned my Slim SB baseplate and exchanged it for the .95 OC baseplate.
It was efficient but not as efficient as the .95 SCL and I'd say not as efficient as the .95 OC since now I've got that one too. And the .38 is certainly more efficient than the Slim as well. The Slim ain't for me!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, you know I returned my Slim SB baseplate and exchanged it for the .95 OC baseplate.
It was efficient but not as efficient as the .95 SCL and I'd say not as efficient as the .95 OC since now I've got that one too. And the .38 is certainly more efficient than the Slim as well. The Slim ain't for me!
I should have mentioned, I got the Rocnel 2024 Bronze Elite from you. LOL.... I should call Jeremiah and ask him if I can exchange the Ti Slim base plate... but I've passed the 30 day exchange offer. I'm a pretty good Timeless customer, so I think he'd gladly agree... I wonder... I do think I'd gladly exchange the Ti Slim base plate for the SCL as I think the 0.95OC might be a bit much for me.

I should have mentioned, I got the Rocnel 2024 Bronze Elite from you. LOL.... I should call Jeremiah and ask him if I can exchange the Ti Slim base plate... but I've passed the 30 day exchange offer. I'm a pretty good Timeless customer, so I think he'd gladly agree... I wonder... I do think I'd gladly exchange the Ti Slim base plate for the SCL as I think the 0.95OC might be a bit much for me.
You probably previously read that I said that the SCL and OC are hard to tell apart. The SCL is a smidge smoother.
If moving up from the .68 OC (knowing what I know now), It'd be the .95 SCL!
Contact him before any time passes and swap it. Get rid of the Slim!
Scalloped top cap and scalloped .95 base plate is the most perfect Timeless combo for me!

True!!
He's got some that I have too that we both like though.
So it's confusing!! 😂
I had the 1.15 and .95 might have accidentally wrote the 1.05 as I remember and could not correct it so sorry about that but yeah I was told by some skip .2 to try to dial in what I wanted
and the .95 I hear it is a touch positive but it shaves feels like a neutral really not sure

the Timeless comparing the .68SB vs the .68OC
The jump in efficiency was a small amount but the comfort was a big jump with the OC going outside my comfort zone for a daily use

where the wolfman from the .95 to 1.15 efficiency was a large jump and the comfort was a smaller jump or % change to what the efficiency was if that makes sense

what I am trying to say its not linear for both its like somehow they can make it way more efficient without much change in comfort

I know its not fair to compare a OC to a SB and the woflman are comparing two straight bars
but the GC razors or Lupo I had were more like the timeless you pay in comfort for that efficiency jump and again wolfman seem to have some kinda design that you do not have to pay in comfort so much for that efficiency jump :)

Top Bottom