What's new

New razor: Gillette fatboy/slim/Rockwell

Haha yeah it definitely seems like a slippery slope. At the moment I’m just looking for something to be my daily shaver but can see myself acquiring more as time goes on.
Thanks for the advice

It was a good razor. I am interested in an adjustable to rly find what works for me. I felt like the DE89 was a solid beginner razor but my technique is good enough to move on now
The DE89 is a good "mild-to-medium" razor, not specially suited to beginners. I used one for years. So one answer is:

. . . buy another DE89.

But there are razors that are more aggressive (= more likely to nick you) than the DE89. If you want to explore that territory, listen to others.

For adjustables, common choices are:

. . . Merkur Progress (I own this, used it for years) -- a 1950's design, it has some quirks, but gives good shaves if you adjust for them. Zamak head, chrome-plated.

. . . Parker Variant (closed-comb and open-comb) -- Zamak head, chrome-plated. A Merker Progress clone, with the quirks fixed.

. . . Pearl Flexi (closed-comb and open-comb) (I have the closed-comb, and like it) -- machined brass, chrome-plated. Good knurling, adjustment stays in place, nice shaves with Astra blades, it bit me when I tried Feathers. (probably my fault, not the razor's.)

All of those will cover the "mild-to-medium" to "aggressive" ranges. I don't think they'll match a really mild razor -- but you're not interested in going in that direction.

There are some machined-stainless-steel adjustables, at higher prices. I haven't tried them.

Good luck! --

. Charles

For a more-aggressive adjustable, consider the Merkur Futur

The DE89 is a good "mild-to-medium" razor, not specially suited to beginners. I used one for years. So one answer is:

. . . buy another DE89.

But there are razors that are more aggressive (= more likely to nick you) than the DE89. If you want to explore that territory, listen to others.

. . . Merkur Progress (I own this, used it for years) -- a 1950's design, it has some quirks, but gives good shaves if you adjust for them. Zamak head, chrome-plated.

. . . Parker Variant (closed-comb and open-comb) -- Zamak head, chrome-plated. A Merker Progress clone, with the quirks fixed.

. . . Pearl Flexi (closed-comb and open-comb) (I have the closed-comb, and like it) -- machined brass, chrome-plated. Good knurling, adjustment stays in place, nice shaves with Astra blades, it bit me when I tried Feathers. (probably my fault, not the razor's.)

All of those will cover the "mild-to-medium" to "aggressive" ranges. I don't think they'll match a really mild razor -- but you're not interested in going in that direction.

There are some machined-stainless-steel adjustables, at higher prices. I haven't tried them.

Good luck! --

. Charles

For a more-aggressive adjustable, consider the Merkur FuturA

. . . buy another DE89.

Good luck! --

. Charles

For a more-aggressive adjustable, consider the Merkur Futur
A bunch of new razors for me to check out. Appreciate the reply, I will read up on these

If you must have an adjustable, the Slim is a good choice. It shaves as well as the Fatboy at a much more reasonable price. I bought mine for $17 at a Maryland antique shop.

A better choice is the SuperAdjustable, especially the post ‘77 109 mm Black Beauty. I found one in pristine condition at a thrift store in PA for $5. It is the best-shaving DE in my den.

I bought my "excellent condition" Slim from the Etsy seller DapperstudioCC. Each razor is consistently rated and the photos are excellent so you get a good idea of what you're buying. I would not hesitate to buy another from that seller. I also bought a Fatboy from BackRoadsGold Etsy store, replated. tuned and all that. While I prefer the Slim to the Fatboy, I must say I prefer a Yaqi Adjustable Semi Slant and Timeless Aluminum Semi Slant to either of those. Both are simply more efficient and effective shavers, plus I've come to really appreciate having the entire blade ends enclosed in the head and the edges all smoothed out. Of course, that's my experience only and doesn't necessarily translate to anyone else. Any given razor is only as useful as the one using it though, I mean, they don't shave themselves ! You have to include all that comes with the shaver, the skills, the skin, the shave cream, etc.

So I’ve owned and used my Edwin Jagger DE89 since 2015. I’ve used 2 blade disposables off and on but primarily my safety razor. I normally shave my face 2-4 times a week. Recently the DE89 thread broke and is unusable. I am looking to purchase another razor. Since I have only ever used 1 razor I’m not sure which one to buy. I am thinking of buying a modern razor like the Rockwell 6S. Additionally I am thinking about purchasing a vintage razor like a Gillette fatboy or slim.

Any thoughts or insight are welcome

Thanks
As much as I can relate to your desire to purchase more razors, I strongly suggest you fix your EJ. Reach out to the company. They may sell you another top cap, or heck, they may just send one out for free. Who knows? But instead of rushing out to buy something else, fix what you have. Sounds like it's been a workhorse in your shaving stable. Why kick it to the curb? It don't use my DE87 every day, but I'd certainly never be without it.

Top Bottom