What's new

New razor: Gillette fatboy/slim/Rockwell

So I’ve owned and used my Edwin Jagger DE89 since 2015. I’ve used 2 blade disposables off and on but primarily my safety razor. I normally shave my face 2-4 times a week. Recently the DE89 thread broke and is unusable. I am looking to purchase another razor. Since I have only ever used 1 razor I’m not sure which one to buy. I am thinking of buying a modern razor like the Rockwell 6S. Additionally I am thinking about purchasing a vintage razor like a Gillette fatboy or slim.

Any thoughts or insight are welcome

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You've asked the wrong group. We would say all of the above!

Seriously, though, either the Slim or the 6S are excellent choices. A Slim can be picked up at a reasonable price and you can experiment with different blade gaps on the fly. While you can change out the 6S plates, it's a bit more cumbersome. For me, I have found plate 4 to be my Goldilocks blade gap with the 6S.

You've asked the wrong group. We would say all of the above!

Seriously, though, either the Slim or the 6S are excellent choices. A Slim can be picked up at a reasonable price and you can experiment with different blade gaps on the fly. While you can change out the 6S plates, it's a bit more cumbersome. For me, I have found plate 4 to be my Goldilocks blade gap with the 6S.
Is eBay my best bet to find a decent slim?

It was a good razor. I am interested in an adjustable to rly find what works for me. I felt like the DE89 was a solid beginner razor but my technique is good enough to move on now
In that case I quite like the Rockwell 6S, since you can change plates over time to find what works best for you. Or a Slim can be picked up from eBay.

@CwD96, You can't go wrong with any of those 3 choices. All will give you great shaves.

Of those three, I have a slight preference for the Fatboy, based mostly on the way it feels in my hand - the weight, balance, and handle diameter. Your choice may be different.

As a side note, since you liked the DE89, you should write to Jagger and ask about purchasing a replacement cap.
If that fails, the cap from a Maggard V3 or a Muhle R89 should fit as a substitute.

In that case I quite like the Rockwell 6S, since you can change plates over time to find what works best for you. Or a Slim can be picked up from eBay.
Thanks for the advice. Think I’m gonna go with the 6S and look into purchasing a slim. Do you recommend eBay or searching the forums on here for one?

I would say no. I think you're going to have better luck on the BST here or one of the other shave forums, both in terms of price and helpfulness with being truthful about condition etc. Ebay sellers are notorious for showing you angles or specific photos which makes vintage razors look nicer than they are, and not giving you truthful answers about issues the razor might have.

You might find a better price on EBay or in an antique shop, but I 'd have more confidence in the condition of one from our BST, and more confidence in the seller as well.

I’m just remembering I had one I didn’t sell in BST if you want me to shoot you a link to it.

Generally eBay can be a bit more difficult if you don’t have a trained eye on what to look for in some of the vintage razors. Amazing deals can be had, but its time consuming hunting for them.

I’m just remembering I had one I didn’t sell in BST if you want me to shoot you a link to it.

Generally eBay can be a bit more difficult if you don’t have a trained eye on what to look for in some of the vintage razors. Amazing deals can be had, but its time consuming hunting for them.
Yeah that would be great, I’d definitely be interested in taking a look.
How does one learn to look for specific things with vintage razors?

Yeah that would be great, I’d definitely be interested in taking a look.
How does one learn to look for specific things with vintage razors?

I buy a lot of vintage razors on eBay.

With the adjustable Gillettes, you have to watch whether the head is aligned. Look for an even gap between the doors and the safety bars on both sides. Ask for clear pictures. If these get dropped, things can get bent.

With the adjustables, you also have to worry about whether the adjustment and opening mechanisms work properly. No way to see that in pictures.

Many times, the sellers are "junk collectors" who buy these at flea markets and estate sales and then pop them up on eBay for a quick buck. They have no idea about how they work, or whether they work.

BST is definitely the better bet, but Slims can be had on eBay for $30. If you get a dud, not too hard to get another.

This happened to me with a Fatboy. My first one from eBay was poorly aligned on one side. The replacement I just got works beautifully, both in alignment and mechanism.

As to Slim versus Fatboy, I have both. For me, the Fatboy shaves slightly smoother, but the Slim is easier to maneuver. You can't go wrong with either. They're classics. The smoothest shaves on these come at the higher settings. The lower settings are less aggressive and won't irritate, but paradoxically they don't feel as smooth while you're shaving.

Last edited:
I buy a lot of vintage razors on eBay.

With the adjustable Gillettes, you have to watch whether the head is aligned. Look for an even gap between the doors and the safety bars on both sides. Ask for clear pictures. If these get dropped, things can get bent.

With the adjustables, you also have to worry about whether the adjustment and opening mechanisms work properly. No way to see that in pictures.

Many times, the sellers are "junk collectors" who buy these at flea markets and estate sales and then pop them up on eBay for a quick buck. They have no idea about how they work, or whether they work.

BST is definitely the better bet, but Slims can be had on eBay for $30. If you get a dud, not too hard to get another.

This happened to me with a Fatboy. My first one from eBay was poorly aligned on one side. The replacement I just got works beautifully, both in alignment and mechanism.

As to Slim versus Fatboy, I have both. For me, the Fatboy shaves slightly smoother, but the Slim is easier to maneuver. You can't go wrong with either. They're classics. The smoothest shaves on these come at the higher settings. The lower settings are less aggressive and won't irritate, but paradoxically they don't feel as smooth while you're shaving.
I appreciate the advice. Hopefully as I look at more and more fatboys/slims, I will develop a better eye for these things.

I appreciate the advice. Hopefully as I look at more and more fatboys/slims, I will develop a better eye for these things.

Watch out. Once you get that first vintage razor, it's very easy to fall down the rabbit hole. Six months ago, I didn't have a cabinet shelf full of vintage Gillettes. Now, well... :lol:

I don't worry as much about cosmetics as some buyers, so I don't mind plating loss or the lack of carrying case and blade holder etc. If you just want a usable razor rather than a display piece, you can find so many great vintage razors for dirt cheap that will still be shave-worthy for your grandchildren. My entire collection of 30 or so vintage DE razors probably didn't cost much more than guys are paying for a single new Blackland or Lambda.

My advice is to start with a Slim. They typically sell for about half what a Fatboy does on eBay, and there are more to choose from at any given time. If you don't like the shave, then you're not out much money.

Top Bottom