What's new

New Plant-Based Synthetic from Mühle

Yes, most definitely. I made it because I wanted a new travel brush. Actually I used it this morning.

55F724A4-34C6-45C9-BE77-F817DFFC6B8B_1_201_a.jpeg

I’m using that tube, however the handle can be detached so that knot and handle can fit in a small pouch as well.

IMG_5170.jpeg

Badger is my preference when home but synthetics are better suited for my traveling. To that end I purchased a Muhle STF Turnback. It packs easily and drys relatively quickly. I found it did not splay as well as I would have liked when face lathering and not pre soaking. I recently bought a Timeless travel bowl for traveling and began pre soaking the brush while I showered. The presoaking and bowl lathering combination have helped the sp of this brush tremendously. I’m not sure which or both made the difference but after 12 consecutive days it clearly works better for me.

A couple of lathers in with the new STF XL Dense++ knot. This is the synthetic equivalent of a 3-band badger. Tips are at least as soft as the original STF, there's some body to the knot with medium backbone and easy splay. Flowthrough is excellent. Set at 55mm loft, there's a nice bloom that's greater than that of my original @55. I'll be ordering the non-dense version eventually because these things are primo. Again, I haven't tried the Wald, which is supposed to be different, but for what the Muhle offers I don't believe there's anything better.

*This STF and the newest version of the APShaveCo MiG knot (26mm) are very similar in feel. These are two excellent synthetic knots.

A couple of lathers in with the new STF XL Dense++ knot. This is the synthetic equivalent of a 3-band badger. Tips are at least as soft as the original STF, there's some body to the knot with medium backbone and easy splay. Flowthrough is excellent. Set at 55mm loft, there's a nice bloom that's greater than that of my original @55. I'll be ordering the non-dense version eventually because these things are primo. Again, I haven't tried the Wald, which is supposed to be different, but for what the Muhle offers I don't believe there's anything better.

*This STF and the newest version of the APShaveCo MiG knot (26mm) are very similar in feel. These are two excellent synthetic knots.
Did you try Plisson blond fiber (the old, original Plisson knot, not the newer one)? I thought the tips were softer than the Mühle.

Did you try Plisson blond fiber (the old, original Plisson knot, not the newer one)? I thought the tips were softer than the Mühle.
If you mean the ones that showed up in L’Occitane handles, then yes, those were soft and not very dense. I seem to recall they could be pokey too. The newest STF is feathery soft and not pokey at all.

If you mean the ones that showed up in L’Occitane handles, then yes, those were soft and not very dense. I seem to recall they could be pokey too. The newest STF is feathery soft and not pokey at all.
Yes that’s the one.

Is the new Mühle knot the one they will use in all their synthetic brushes or they just sell them to other brush makers?

Is it correct to think that this is the 3rd synthetic knot from Mühle? I seem to recall there being an STFv1 and STFv2.

Is the new Mühle knot the one they will use in all their synthetic brushes or they just sell them to other brush makers?

Is it correct to think that this is the 3rd synthetic knot from Mühle? I seem to recall there being an STFv1 and STFv2.
There's the less-dense and extra-dense; one or both will be the new everywhere offering, far as I know.
Rudy Vey believes there was only one version before this.
p.s. No criticism of the Plisson meant. I had several when they came out and wish I'd kept one.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
There's the less-dense and extra-dense; one or both will be the new everywhere offering, far as I know.
Rudy Vey believes there was only one version before this.
p.s. No criticism of the Plisson meant. I had several when they came out and wish I'd kept one.
Yes, Muehle confirmed to me (2 times at least) that there was only one version of the STF knots. I have no idea why some here posted about different versions. Having used these 25 mm STF for well over 10-12 years, I never seen or felt any difference. Maybe the setting of the knot height have some confused about different versions.

I just got the 37% renewable extra dense brush from AP Shave. I am very impressed. I like my Edwin Jagger synthetic, however it can be ever so slightly scritchy. This one is not scritchy at all, has ample backbone, and is extremely soft. The handle is also great. I have the Ouomo which is also very nice, but I am not overly fond of the handle. (should I contact Rudy Vey?) A Wald is on the way. A definite rabbit hole.

should I contact Rudy Vey?
Rudy has made several brushes for me and has instructed me on how to repair a brush I received as a gift.

You can’t go wrong with a brush from Rudy. If you are going to have a brush made to your specifications, it makes sense to get your ideal knot. Rudy is a wealth of information there.

Top Bottom