What's new

Need help, I’m new to SE/DE shaving

No matter what kind of handle or blade I use. Whenever I shave I always get this tugging/pulling feeling and then I bleed. Help please. Thank you
IMG_5076.jpeg

What razor are you using?

Lighten up on the pressure. For me, under chin/neck area is always the most difficult area. Just take it easy, no pressure, and over time your shaves will get better.

Also, if you've been shaving daily like this for any period of time it may be good to take a few days off if you can to let your skin recover.

Tons of other stuff to work on as well around blade/Razor head combos, soap and lather technique, etc, but the single biggest issues new wetshavers have is too much pressure.

First, welcome!

If you’re new, you’re almost certainly using too much pressure. Are you coming from cartridges? Use as little pressure as possible. When you think you’re using none, use less still.

Other possible contributors: bad prep, or bad lather. Make sure your whiskers are well-hydrated beforehand. If you don’t already, shower before you shave, or wash your face well, or apply a wet washcloth for a few minutes. If you’re using canned stuff for lather, I’d suggest something slicker. A cheap synthetic brush and a shave soap would be much better, or even a tube of brushless cream like Cremo. Also, what razor are you using?

But mostly, use less pressure. :thumbup1:

Wlecome, @Castle! There are a ton of great and helpful people here.

Can you tell us a bit more about how you shave? What razor, blade, soap, brush do you use? How did you prepare your face? (shower, wash, nothing). Once folks know more, they will have more helpful tips.

And yes, one of the first things we all need to learn is to use far less pressure. You've got this!

Use as little pressure as possible. When you think you’re using none, use less still.

+1.

This was my first big challenge to overcome when I started DE shaving two years ago. It was this quote, in fact, that helped me get it in perspective. Nicely done @T Bone!

Right under the chin is one of the most challenging spots for sure. I find thinking about using light light light pressure and short strokes really helps around there. Plus I really try to follow the path of the lather, not going over any spots twice in my first or second pass.

Apart from light/no pressure. Try this:

- no ATG pass whatsoever
- make sure lather is hydrated enough, dry lather causes skipping
- never go over spots without any lather, reapply if needed
- don’t buff too much.
- try bullfrogging - for the neck area, hold a swallow for the time you’re working on that area. You won’t be able to hold for too long, just long enough to do the strokes on that area.
- don’t chase BBS!!! Anything left after two passes WTG: Leave it! Try again next time. Be content if you can achieve DFS.
- One and done the blade: use each blade only for one shave, then bin it. Stick to the same blade brand in the same razor for a while.
- Rinse the razor and blade often during the shave. Lather and debris can clog the blade gap and cause skipping. I rinse after each stroke; that has the advantage that additional water is introduced to the lather on the face; avoids skipping.
- if you have irritation, skip a day or maybe even more. While you wait your skin to heal, map your beard growth pattern. That’ll tell you where you have swirls and which direction your whiskers grow. Always shave WTG. For me, my right neck WTG is actually a XTG pass because the hair grows E-W there for me.
- post shave is just as important as pre shave. Try an astringent such as Witch Hazel or an Aftershave which contains it. I found that Aloe Vera works for me as a soothing and cooling post shave treatment.
- Don’t give up. As frustrating this can be, stick with it and find your own routine. Be patient and take breaks if needed.
- Don’t be shy. If you have questions, seek advice. There are no dumb questions. Everybody here is willing to extend a helping hand. No one will look down on you just because you’re a “newbie”. You’ll get lots of helpful pointers for any questions you may have. We all have been in the same boat and we’ve gotten helpful and friendly advice to help us on our journey. It will be just the same for you.

With that being said: welcome to B&B from another newbie, who has been blessed with tremendous help from the community in his own little journey. You will like it here, I promise.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B! We are so glad that you are here. There has been many great tips in previous posts already and I agree that excessive pressure is probably the culprit here.

Please share a bit more regarding your shaving routine. How many passes? Do you use brush and soap or gel or canned foam? Which razor and blade are you using? How long have you been wet shaving?

Hello, and welcome from western North Carolina.
Allow me to offer another suggestion to the great ones already recommended.

Similar to "bull frogging", try lifting your chin (not quite as far high as you show in your picture) and turn your head to one side - this helps to pull the skin taut creating a smooth, flat surface. Don't stretch the skin too much as this will limit it from adjusting to the razor stroke.

Gently shave the underside of you chin that is facing the mirror, then turn the other direction. Finely, shave vertically toward your Adam's apple.

Hope this helps. Please keep us informed of your progress. If you have further questions, you know where to find us.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It will be interesting to read about what you're using for razor/blade.

Tugging, pulling and then blood is almost always caused by too much pressure or the wrong razor angle - and more commonly both. Less pressure is available to you immediately. If you're not dropping the razor in the sink you've got more than enough pressure - lighten up as much as you can. Razor angle often takes a bit of experimentation and practice.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome to B&B, not much more for advice I can add as the above posts are reasonable written IMO. Try not to go for the BBS until your technique is dialed in and it will come when you want it to.
You should state your razor and blades being used can also help with fine tuning your issues possibly!

Top Bottom