What's new

Near wedge? Quarter hollow?

Thinking about another razor. As I don’t think I have ever owned a near wedge I’m wondering if it is worth a shout? Is there a huge difference between a near wedge and quarter hollow? Had a W&B wedge once. No bueno.

Wedge/Near-Wedge the shave will be the same IMO. If you tried one and didn't like it if go with the 1/4 hollow.

I have a couple Japanese near wedges, one of them is a Baba Queen- a Tanifuji brand. They’re beautifully made razors, but I don’t find myself reaching for them very often.

Imo? Meh. I would take a full or extra hollow anytime. Some guys swear by them. I didn't find they shaved any better or worse.

B4BA5D23-DC58-4984-862C-9DA46416D1D0.jpeg
I’m with you on the full-fuller-fullest hollow. But as I already have a few I thought I might try something new.

After learning with full hollow razors I got ahold of a Waterville, 5/8”, quarter hollow. I absolutely love this razor. Far less audible feedback but great textile feedback. You literally feel it mowing down whiskers without all that "singing".

I've also have a half hollow and a faux frameback that I enjoy, but not as much as the quarter hollow. So far it's my favorite grind.

My near wedge is an 8/8 Koraat and my 1/4 grinds are two PRC razors and two HartSteel Customs and thats about as opposite as you can get. The Koraat is an extreme example due to its weight, its a beast, a well made beautiful beast that is silent and has a muted tactile feedback. The 1/4 hollows are also silent but a bit more feedback. All of these razors are pretty much neglected in my rotation in favor of my full hollows. I recently worked the near wedge back in and one of the Harts for the sake of variation. I think every collection should have at least one near wedge or wedge in it, for no other reason then to remind you how much you prefer full hollow grinds, lol. You could always post WTB a near wedge in the BST and see what is offered up, might save you some $ and you can always move it on if you don't care for it.

I Love wedges, near wedges, 1/4 hollows, and 1/2 hollows.
I do not enjoy flexy hollow grinds.
IMO - If a wedge isn't shaving well, it wasn't honed right. Most take some doing to straighten out and I think a lot of people come up short on the ground work. After the initial geometry is fixed correctly, and that can take a bit of work because most of those blades have been sitting in poor storage for over 100 yr, honing them is a breeze.
For me, the shaves from a well honed heavy grind blade (wedge, etc) is marvelous.
They are silent whisker squeegees.

I think that, IF all else is equal, and that is a ginormous 'IF' - then between full, near and 1/4, the main difference is going to be heft/balance.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I don't like honing wedges or very wedgy near wedges. Haven't really found them to shave any better than hollowgrounds. A chacun son gout.

9772D8DA-1E92-46B5-86A7-FF9DEDEF4587.jpeg

Here is another of my Koraats. Yeah I think I’m gonna have Herr Beyer grind me up a half-hollow. Thinking I only have one 1/2 in the collection right now.
Got a few quarters and a bunch of full hollows c’est bon, ça. I like them all.

Last edited:
I have a quarter hollow Hydra from PRC. I love the razor aesthetically but being honest it doesn’t shave near as well as any of my full hollows. I really want it to work but after a few years I’m finding I just don’t reach for it much. Feels like I’m shaving with a knife more than a razor.

I Love wedges, near wedges, 1/4 hollows, and 1/2 hollows.
I do not enjoy flexy hollow grinds.
IMO - If a wedge isn't shaving well, it wasn't honed right. Most take some doing to straighten out and I think a lot of people come up short on the ground work. After the initial geometry is fixed correctly, and that can take a bit of work because most of those blades have been sitting in poor storage for over 100 yr, honing them is a breeze.
For me, the shaves from a well honed heavy grind blade (wedge, etc) is marvelous.
They are silent whisker squeegees.

I think that, IF all else is equal, and that is a ginormous 'IF' - then between full, near and 1/4, the main difference is going to be heft/balance.
I started out with extra hollows and they’re not forgiving at all. Theirs-Issard Evide Sonnat, wolf and sheep, Dubl Duck special No. 1, all thin , and flexible

My most comfortable razor is a quarter-hollow and I'll never part with it. Not a huge fan of full hollows for the reasons mentioned above by all of the experienced people above.

I’m with Gamma on weight and balance on the bigger 1/4 and vintage near wedges. My samples haven’t been perfectly balanced, or just really heavy. 6-7/8 1/4s are my go to for “heavy blades”. They‘ve been better balanced and nimble in my hand compared to vintages near wedges. (Small sample size). And I prefer using them with 3+ days of growth. otherwise, I prefer hollows.

and 5/8 and smaller 1/4 and nears are just super stiff, but lack the mass of their bigger brothers to effortlessly glide through everything in front of them for me, excepting my De Pew. that feels like a hollow with short stubble, but has all the power it needs with longer stubble.

Last edited:
@Acmemfg, You should try a quarter hollow or near wedge. Not sure there is really much difference between the two.

Some of the more plentiful options are old Sheffield near wedges or a Red Imp 132, Temperite 20 or Union Spike.

Top Bottom