What's new

Micromatic Monday

Gem Safety Razor Corp. Damaskeene / Accuforge 7020 / Pegasus Alchemy / Brito lime / Iced Pineapple / Arctic lime blast
20240902_192316.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Sunday, September 8th 2024

Razor : Gem Junior bar lather catcher. Mfg 1907-11, mild range. Very easy going shave this morning. This was a popular razor for its time until the 1912 models arrived with the flip cap for securing the blade + gave Gem different ways to throttle aggression as time went on through the following decades of the different caps IMO.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Razorock Irish Countryside, nice fresh scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Rainbow" 26mm brown whiskers synthetic.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Gem Jr bar L.C with a coated Gem blade. There was not much to shave from yesterday's very close shave!
SOTD September 8  2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

GEMonday, September 9th 2024

Razor : Gem G bar. Mfg 1955-58, mild to tame mid range. Well built to last generations, heavy chrome for longevity. It was my first Gem razor tested years ago and still enjoy using it. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Razorock XXX, unique fresh scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Artic sky" 24mm 3band silvertip badger. Excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, nice splay face feel scrubber + great lather painter. Great brush for my shaving needs.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Razorock XXX splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Gem G bar with coated Gem blade.
SOTD September 9  2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gem Junior
Blade: Gem SS PTFE (11)
Brush: Frank 4G
Bowl: Captain’s Choice
Soap: Chiseled Face Sherlock
Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Island Time

A DFS result. The blade is reaching its end. I’m not sure yet if I’ll give it one more shave or move on.

RIGShim

IMG_3973.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso Red with water from the Flairisol mister
Brush: RV Shaving 25 mm STF in Strawberry Amber
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper plus swirling and painting lather on face with use of Flairisol mister
Cream: Proraso Red
Razor: Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: Gem Stainless (1)
Splash: Proraso Red

9.8 DFS++ No nicks, cuts, or, weepers. Great shave

Shaving shallow feels strange and unnatural to me, but, I followed the razors design rather than flirt with danger. I was rewarded with a single pass shave that shed neither blood, nor caused irritation. I had plenty of lather, but, rather than push a format I am unaccustomed to, I decided to stop while I was ahead. This is my first single edge shave of the month and the second with this razor. The last being last September. I thought about finishing the shave with the R89 for Muehle Monday, but, as I already lathered with the RV Shaving STF I had that covered.

20240909_070041 (1).jpg

I had a wonderful relaxing shave this morning with my Gem Junior Lather Catcher and Never Alone 4. I love Lather Catcher razors they are so elegant and well designed. The artistry in the lettering is wonderful. The fact that they are 100+ years old and still functioning beautifully. And knowing that if cared for properly they should function for 100+ more years. We don't have as much time here. So make your time count. Enjoy each moment. Find ways to treat yourself well. It doesn't have to be expensive or extravagant.
If you are struggling to find joy, reach out. Find a friend or family member to talk to. If you don't feel like you can than call 988 and seek help. I struggled with severe depression for over 20 years before I reached out for help. I wish I would have talked to someone sooner. It took another 10 or so years to get to a place where i was consistently happy to be alive. Had I reached out sooner it probably wouldn't have taken so long. It's been so much better living with the support I could have had all along. I still have low days but they aren't as bad, not as often and not as hopeless. Don't let the bad days win. You really are Never Alone. There are people that want to help, you just have to give them the chance.
Thanks so much to everyone who put this together. I'm not sure who is OK to tag. Check out The Razor Company for more info on who was involved.

Last edited:

Ron R

ASRazor shave, September 16th 2024

Razor : Eveready England, 1912 chromed. Mfg 1936-53, tame mid range. Ever-Ready operated their plant in England for 18 years to supply razors for the British commonwealth. Excellent stamping and handle machined for excellent grip. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (4) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice lavender with a touch of mint(??) + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Goblin" 24mm tuxedo knot. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Nice handle with a decent knot.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavada splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my ASR Ever-Ready 1912 razor with a coated gem blade.
SOTD September 16  2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

One pass with the Panasonic washable beard trimmer
Preshave: PAA the Mentholated Cube 2.0 and the Flairisol mister
Preshave Brush: RV Shaving 25 mm Muehle STF in Strawberry Amber
Main Shaving Brush: Shavemac 24 /54 mm two band silvertip DO1 bulb in Copper Canyon
Soap: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Razor: Micromatic Bullet Tip third use ever
Blade: Gem Stainless (2)
Splash: Catie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris
Frag: Guerlain Homme EdP

8.9 CCS No nicks, cuts, or, weepers. Great shave

I started with a weeks beard so the first pass was with the Beard trimmer. Normally I would use the WR2 in this situation, but, I was curious what the thicker bladed Micromatic Bullet tip could do with heavy stubble. It did exceptionally well is what it did. On such heavy stubble I would say it did just as well if not better than the WR2. I felt confident enough to do two passes today. WTG then XTG. I would rate it higher had I done an ATG pass I am sure. Maybe next week I will.

Monday! It has been a while.

This new-to-me Featherweight Deluxe has been patiently waiting to shave me. It and a busted up Gillette Khaki Set set me back $10, an afterthought in a big vintage hone purchase.

Once I got a lot of crud removed the Featherweight was sparkling. Once I shaved I realized the Deluxe holds the Gem blade flatter to my face than any other ASR razor, lather catchers excepted.

FWD / AccuTec Pro Coated from @PALORAZOR
RazoRock For Chicago stick
Ever-Ready re-knotted boar
Floïd the Genuine
IMG_5039.jpeg

Top Bottom