What's new

Lye Calculator for Dual Lye?

I'm looking for a lye calculator that can calculate for using both types of lye (sodium hydroxide & potassium hydroxide) in the same batch. Soapcalc.com and the Brambleberry calculators only use sodium hydroxide and I'm not able to calculate a mix (which I understand is better for shaving soaps). Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

BTW I am VERY new at making shaving soap and any and all helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have a lot to learn and I'm sure some of what I think I know is wrong. I'm going to have a million more questions as I begin this journey.

The calculations need to be done separately (one for NaOH and the other for KOH) and then you can add the quantities from the two to make the final recipe.
This youtube video should answer many of your questions on this subject (it certainly helped me a lot in understanding soapcalc when it comes to shaving soap)

The guy from the video has other clips on shaving soaps, which I've found very educational for somebody trying to get a grip on how shaving soaps are made (like myself :) )

Soapee will do dual lye, I think, but I've not tried it.

With Soapcalc, decide on the ratio of KOH to NaOH you want (I'm currently using 60/40), then multiply your total oil weight by the fraction (0.6 for 60/40 KOH for instance). Use that number for KOH -- don't forget to click on the 90% button if you have typical KOH. Print out the recipe. Do this for both lyes.

When you make your soap, total the numbers for each oil weight (or print a copy using only one lye for oil weights), melt as usual, and when you make your lye, total the water and add both lyes to it.

It's easy once you get the hang it, all you need from the "split" parts is the weight of the KOH and NaOH.

I will be making some test soaps tonight, I think. Need to mow grass tomorrow....

Dual lye is becoming popular because even small amounts of potassium hydroxide makes soap easy to lather. For shaving soap, the working minimum is probably 60/40 KOH and many people prefer all KOH. Lathers up much faster and easier.

I just cooked up a set of test soaps to verify that I don't want castor oil in my shaving soap. I think it will cause unstable lather, but other soapers think it's fine. We shall see.

I how have shaving soap to last almost as long as my razor stash -- that is, long after I'm dead.

You've received the right advice above. I just use potassium hydroxide in my shaving soaps. Try a blend and try just KOH. Which makes a better lather?

Dual lye is becoming popular because even small amounts of potassium hydroxide makes soap easy to lather. For shaving soap, the working minimum is probably 60/40 KOH and many people prefer all KOH. Lathers up much faster and easier.

I just cooked up a set of test soaps to verify that I don't want castor oil in my shaving soap. I think it will cause unstable lather, but other soapers think it's fine. We shall see.

I how have shaving soap to last almost as long as my razor stash -- that is, long after I'm dead.
Castor oil rules in shaving soap. There is something magical about it. A lot of my favorite soaps have castor oil fairly high up on the ingredients list.

I love the castor in my recipe...it's good enough soap that I don't use any others

I also use a 60/40 lye blend

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's interesting, because I've heard that castor oil is a lather killer. I will find out at the end of the week, I made a set of experimental soaps to compare.

So far my only observation is that the test lather with 20% castor dissipated faster than the stearic acid/tallow soap lather, but that's subject to change as the soaps cure. The stearate/tallowate soap may be a bit slicker, too, but I'll need to shave with them to verify that.

My favorite commercial soaps (Haslinger and Arko) do not contain castor oil.

It's a matter of ratios, I'm sure. But castor oil is in OSP, MW, Dr. Jon's, etc, so it certainly isn't a lather killer.
I actually heard the opposite: in the right ratio, castor oil is supposed to stabilize a lather. At least that's what I have been led to believe.

Top Bottom